Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exploring the Magma Sea  (Read 1632 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Exploring the Magma Sea
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:34:46 am »

So far I've been able to explore about 3-4 z-levels of the magma sea by dropping kittens and such as lookouts, but they don't last very long.

Are there any creatures that would work better if dropped into the magma sea?  I really want to see more of it so that I know which parts of this adamantine spire are safe to mine out...

I suppose I could dig a huge waterfall from the sea in one of the caverns down to the magma sea, but I'm not sure how well that works.  I fear getting just one tile of obsidian and having my waterfall get plugged up.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring the Magma Sea
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:22:12 am »

I think if you modded cats to be made out of nether-wood they would last quite a bit longer.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:27:27 am »

A cave in works just as well as a kitten for exploring, the problem in both cases is they eventually hit the semi molten rock and fall off the map, so to speak. To make an actual magma scout, you'll need to make a creature that can both survive in magma and swim in it, then let it get into the magma of it's own accord (falling objects keep falling until they hit an obstacle, IIRC, which means the only exploring a dumped kitten will do is straight down).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:28:03 am »

Why not simply use dfreveal from the dfhack tools?  Tossing kittens into the volcano is not really going to tell you whether those spires are actually safe to mine, since the real safety lies in whether the spires are hollow or solid, and no amount of kittens sacrificed to volcanoes will tell you that...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:52:13 am »

... no reason to stop sacrificing kittens, though.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:59 am »

... no reason to stop sacrificing kittens, though.

Well, you do have a point...

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:09:03 am »

Why not simply use dfreveal from the dfhack tools?  Tossing kittens into the volcano is not really going to tell you whether those spires are actually safe to mine, since the real safety lies in whether the spires are hollow or solid, and no amount of kittens sacrificed to volcanoes will tell you that...

The top few levels were solid.  I don't know if they hollow out somewhere below that or not, so I was going to send down as many "explorers" as I could.

Would it work better or worse if blizzard men were available?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 03:13:05 am »

The top few levels were solid.  I don't know if they hollow out somewhere below that or not, so I was going to send down as many "explorers" as I could.

Would it work better or worse if blizzard men were available?

There is no way, short of digging or revealing, to tell if the INSIDE of the columns is solid, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  The magma sea does not drain into the columns, so revealing the entirety of the magma sea via wandering creatures will STILL not answer your question.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:52 am »

I have dug into the column, and that column is solid.

But it moves all over the place, so I can't see very well where I need to dig downwards at any given level.  When I dropped explorers down, they showed me a few z-levels down, so that I could see where the outside of the spire was.  But they didn't show me where the bottom goes.

I guess magma isn't pressurized, so it's okay if I dig a down stairway that happens to be over magma, but...

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:28 am »

dfreveal is the best solution.

Second best is save-scumming and digging into the column to see where they start to become hollow, then reload and mine everything above that.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:28:22 am »

The problem with dfreveal is that it triggers the HFS release. Even if they're still trapped, this can slow your framerate notably. Especially if there's hundreds of them.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:42:58 am »

Why not simply use dfreveal from the dfhack tools?
IMO, because it feels like cheating.

In reply to the OP, try employing tougher creatures. Large animals, goblins wearing armour?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »

The problem with dfreveal is that it triggers the HFS release. Even if they're still trapped, this can slow your framerate notably. Especially if there's hundreds of them.

Not if you do not unpause...

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »

I have dug into the column, and that column is solid.

But it moves all over the place, so I can't see very well where I need to dig downwards at any given level.  When I dropped explorers down, they showed me a few z-levels down, so that I could see where the outside of the spire was.  But they didn't show me where the bottom goes.

I guess magma isn't pressurized, so it's okay if I dig a down stairway that happens to be over magma, but...

If you're just worried about not flooding the spire w/magma I'd do this:

Channel down (not dig) or dig a stair down where you "know" you'll hit magma.  Voila: you've just breached the cavern in a new place and should be able to see quite far from the new breach.  The magma will not flow up the channel into the spire because it's not pressurized.  Simply floor over the exposed channel and dig safely to your heart's content.
At last, she is done.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 01:56:22 pm »

Not if you do not unpause...
Really? Awesome! I did NOT know that. I could have sworn the one time I tried it, I released them, even though I didn't unpause between reveal and unreveal. I... must have unpaused and not realized it.
Pages: [1] 2