Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High Boots  (Read 1048 times)

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High Boots
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:48:39 pm »

Ummm.. I can't make any...there is none in magma metalsmith, there is none in manager window, only low boots, i made high boots in my previous fort. What is the problem?

Vanilla df.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: High Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:57:40 pm »

Your civilization doesn't "do" high boots, only low boots.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:04:00 pm »

Yes, I've had that happen to me MANY times so, I went into a tantrum spiral mearly lived with it, low boots aren't that bad...
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:44:28 pm »

Specific civs choose from an item list? I thought all civs of the same race had the same stuff

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:03:43 pm »

dwarves dont make high boots anymore at all, without modding.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »

They'd not have needed greaves otherwise.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 06:32:10 pm »

dwarves dont make high boots anymore at all, without modding.
You're mistaken. Dwarves do make and use high boots in vanilla; I just checked the (pure vanilla) copy of my DF entity_default file, and found the relevant entry for dwarves using high boots on the 34th line of the Mountain entity entry.

As other have said, sometimes civs choose only a few types of coverings for each part of their body instead of all of the ones marked "common." This is an unfortunate thing sometimes, as high boots cover more than low, but if you've got greaves it usually isn't too big of a deal.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 06:36:16 pm »

I was pretty sure I hadn't tampered with the Dwarf entity but mine make them.

Well, to tell if I've screwed things up or not go into raw -> objects -> entity_default
and look at the ENTITY:MOUNTAIN stuff (translation: dorfs.)
'Bout two dozen lines down you should see a few things that start with SHOES and then make note of what's there. ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS are high boots and ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_LOW are low boots. If they have COMMON at the end of the line your civ ought to have them most of the time and if they have UNCOMMON you'll only get them for some civs. I guess you could like mod out socks or something before you gen a world to give them a higher probability.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 03:03:42 am »

Thanks ya'all, very useful information.  :D Fortunatly I can produce greaves.