Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few goblins killed 6 dwarfes in adamantite armor  (Read 3666 times)

Zenny the Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a fork
    • View Profile
A few goblins killed 6 dwarfes in adamantite armor
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:12:55 am »

My new and fresh militia consisted of 6 dwarves, with adamantite armor and swords. I sent them to attack four goblins, but they all got killed in a few seconds.
I think it is rather strange that only four goblins could kill my militia so fast...I think a few of them were armed with whips.

Now I have 4 killer goblins in front of my fort and I have to train new soldiers and craft new armor and weapons
In one fort, I modded minotaurs to be tamable and made one of them mayor by chaining him in the dining hall.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A few goblins killed 6 dwarfes in adamantite armor
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:16:22 am »

Whips are absurdly overpowered at the moment, they act more like lightsabers than whips.  There's a solution in the community raws modding thread to make them more balanced.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 09:35:28 am »

A few solutions:
-MARKSDWARVES, plenty of them (tested and approved)
-train your own lashers equiped with the whips of the goblins you kill (untested)
-time to build more traps involving bridges, levers, water, magma, and/or, well, traps (tested and approved)

Still, must hurt. Ouch.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:52:29 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 09:59:39 am »

Well to be honest, as far as I understand and have seen, even adamantine doesn't save you if the guy wearing it doesn't know jack about actually fighting. Although the whip thing only makes the problem worse.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:03:59 am »

I know your pain.  In my current fortress (currently in the winter of the first year) I'm tempted to give the militia captain the nickname Lefty because that's the only hand she has after a fight with a steel large dagger wielding kobold thief.  She lost her right hand to his first attack that hit, dropping her shield, stabbed the kobold in the leg with her spear (breaking the leg), and both of them retreated to their respective homes.  Luckily she recovered and appears quite content to train with shield and spear in the same hand ...

As for your goblin problem, I second the marksdwarves route.  Give them a place to stand where they can't be engaged in melee, and let them have some live-fire practice.  At the worst you'll drive off the gobos, and at best you'll kill them all.  Either way, you should be able to retrieve the adamantium gear from its former users.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:04:10 am »

Well to be honest, as far as I understand and have seen, even adamantine doesn't save you if the guy wearing it doesn't know jack about actually fighting. Although the whip thing only makes the problem worse.

Adamantine does indeed make up for a lack of skill. The problem is that whips, being blunt, mostly ignore armor.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:06:14 am »

Whip. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age. Not as crude or random as a crossbow...

I know, it's not an exact quote, but it still works.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 11:23:35 am »

Whips have a 5x velocity multiplier and do blunt damage. Thus they act like supersonic hammers that penetrate armor, yet still tear limbs off.

Adamantine won't save you, especially because it's so light. Just keep your distance, use traps, or modify the raws to make them weaker.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:34:39 am »

For some reason goblins die off in the first 100 years in most of my worlds.  If they have such a weapon then how do they die of in history so quick...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 11:46:35 am »

For some reason goblins die off in the first 100 years in most of my worlds.  If they have such a weapon then how do they die of in history so quick...

Possibly they never invented it?

Humans have whips too.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:48:36 am »

Possibly they never invented it?

Humans have whips too.

They also tend to do themselves in with the whole thing about them considering murder to be completely acceptable.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:35:14 pm »

-train your own lashers equiped with the whips of the goblins you kill (untested)

I let my militia pick their own weapons. My Militia Commander chose a bronze whip I bought off the humans.

He doesn't have as many kills as the spear/sword/axe wielders in the army but he is the one generally leaving the swath of crippled enemies behind for those guys to finish off. When Sica the Hydra came he was fracturing its skulls and managed to bruise its heart, liver and a lung through its fat. And nothing beats seeing him knock arrows and bolts out of the air with the whip. Lightsabre indeed. I should custom title him 'Jedi Master'.

Among other things:
He is unbelievably strong, extremely agile and indefatigable.
He has an astounding feel for the position of his own body.
No drawbacks.
Legendary Lasher
Legendary Fighter
High Master Dodger
Expert Shield User
Professional Armour User

Oh, and he's a Legendary Clothier due to creating Laudworn the Angry Murder, a giant cave spider silk dress.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there but yeah, lashers work.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 01:11:56 pm »

I tried making one of my dwarf a lasher, but if I remember well, he was doing badly at first, so before he got himself killed, I gave him a crossbow instead... I couldn't afford training him with all the goblins waiting outside. That, and the best I had was a very basic iron whip. But one of my recruit should be given a whip again sometime soon, now there isn't much to fear around here and I won't try digging deeper for a while.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 01:17:23 pm »

nothing beats seeing him knock arrows and bolts out of the air with the whip.
What? Is that an embellishment, or does that really happen? If the latter, I demand screenshots, because that's fricken awesome.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 01:22:32 pm »

Have you ever been hit by a plastic lanyard? It hurts like crazy.
Even a simple metal, like tin or zinc, could break skin.
Now, think of stuff like bronze and copper.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: [1] 2