Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you like Linux? (As an actual, usable OS, not just in concept/principle.)

Of course, I love Linux! Why would I use anything else?
- 9 (10%)
Yeah, Linux's nice. Windows (or Mac OS) still has its uses though.
- 46 (51.1%)
Linux... Meh... Tried it, what's the big deal?
- 7 (7.8%)
Linux? Wuzzat?
- 3 (3.3%)
Bleh. I could use it if I had to I guess...
- 9 (10%)
Linux? Screw that. I'm sticking with Windows/Mac OS!
- 16 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Linux  (Read 11256 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Linux
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:07 pm »

Okay, gentoo it is.

How do I compile this thing though, and how do I make a clean install?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2010, 12:30:51 pm »

Eh, I meant that you should stay away from Gentoo unless you want to spend a few days compiling x11, your kernel, etc. If you'd still like to try it out, the handbook is the place to start.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:43 pm »

Eh, I meant that you should stay away from Gentoo unless you want to spend a few days compiling x11, your kernel, etc. If you'd still like to try it out, the handbook is the place to start.

Oh okay. What about DSL?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2010, 12:35:02 pm »

What's that?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2010, 12:37:45 pm »

Damn Small Linux.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

If you want to actually use your computer for anything other than web browsing, I would recommend a "real" distribution. DSL is great if you're not a programmer or you don't plan on doing anything very demanding, but it's a pain to install software that's not already packaged for it. Last I checked, it didn't come with gcc.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2010, 03:43:42 pm »

Hey, anyone know how to get Steam working?
It starts up under Wine, and Wine works, but it keeps telling me I can't connect when I log in.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2010, 03:53:56 pm »

If you want to actually use your computer for anything other than web browsing, I would recommend a "real" distribution. DSL is great if you're not a programmer or you don't plan on doing anything very demanding, but it's a pain to install software that's not already packaged for it. Last I checked, it didn't come with gcc.
What kinda Linux distro doesn't come with gcc? I can understand saving space, but even a barebones LFS system has it.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2010, 04:05:15 pm »

I tried it a while ago on my netbook, it worked pretty well, but I didn't use it for very long.

In other news, I tried Ubuntu Netbook remix on my netbook today and wondered what the developers were thinking when they designed it.  Somehow, they made it slower than the desktop edition, and ruined the interface.  If you want to launch an application that doesn't have a big shiny icon on the left, you have to navigate laggy menus or contend with an even laggier search interface.  Now I hear that they are going to be using the same interface with 11.04 by default.  I guess come April I'll be moving on to something different.
Actually, they're using a whole new build of gnome for 11.04. I ran ubuntu 10.10 desktop on several installations (as a monk) and haven't had problems, perhaps you should try Kubuntu/xubuntu for a lighter weight option?

Ubuntu's nice because it's linux that works with almost everything right out of box, with no hassles. If you want to run linux on a clueless virus-prone person's computer who only uses their laptop for net-browsing (like my aunt and grandfather) you can install ubuntu and be done with everything.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2010, 04:10:10 pm »

What kinda Linux distro doesn't come with gcc? I can understand saving space, but even a barebones LFS system has it.

Of course LFS has gcc, how else're you gonna build LFS? It's one of the first packages you build IIRC.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2010, 06:30:41 pm »

Debian unstable representin'.

GCC is not in the base install here.  The base install of Debian is really quite small, between 100 and 200 mB.  Very good for building a minimalist system on.

Also, I'm really happy for you pacman, but aptitude is the greatest package manager of all time.  Of all time!

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:41 pm »

Of course LFS has gcc, how else're you gonna build LFS? It's one of the first packages you build IIRC.
Yeah, umm... I knew that, or something :-P

Anyone know of a good application to open OpenXML (docx, xlsx, etc.) in Linux? OpenOffice's support is pretty mediocre. A friend gave me a docx to print for him, but the formating was all wrong when I opened it, I had to have him convert it to doc, then I ran through antiword, reformatted with OO, and saved as rtf. I might have been an issue with the docx itself, as I couldn't open it right with MS Office either.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:06:47 pm by ILikePie »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 02:26:35 pm »

Anyone know of a good application to open OpenXML (docx, xlsx, etc.) in Linux? OpenOffice's support is pretty mediocre. A friend gave me a docx to print for him, but the formating was all wrong when I opened it, I had to have him convert it to doc, then I ran through antiword, reformatted with OO, and saved as rtf. I might have been an issue with the docx itself, as I couldn't open it right with MS Office either.

How about this guy's methods? Kidding, kidding (only slightly). If someone kept repeatedly sending me something I couldn't open, I would eventually adopt a more rms-style approach to it.

Anyway, Wikipedia lists a few programs that may be of use in the "Application support" section.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2010, 03:07:35 pm »

Meh, Stallman's way of doing things is kind of silly.
Anyway, I'll take a look at AbiWord tomorrow, hopefully it offers better support for docx. I think I'll be using rtf from now on, and maybe doc if I'll ever need to use tables or images or something.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2010, 03:17:21 pm »

I tried it a while ago on my netbook, it worked pretty well, but I didn't use it for very long.

In other news, I tried Ubuntu Netbook remix on my netbook today and wondered what the developers were thinking when they designed it.  Somehow, they made it slower than the desktop edition, and ruined the interface.  If you want to launch an application that doesn't have a big shiny icon on the left, you have to navigate laggy menus or contend with an even laggier search interface.  Now I hear that they are going to be using the same interface with 11.04 by default.  I guess come April I'll be moving on to something different.
Actually, they're using a whole new build of gnome for 11.04. I ran ubuntu 10.10 desktop on several installations (as a monk) and haven't had problems, perhaps you should try Kubuntu/xubuntu for a lighter weight option?
Nope, they're using the unity interface for 11.04

I tried the stock desktop edition on my netbook and it runs quite a bit better than the netbook remix.  I think it's the fancy graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7