Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10832 10833 [10834] 10835 10836 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570833 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162495 on: April 17, 2023, 06:07:47 pm »

Honey is so thick that I bet people wanted to thin it out some.  Hot, thick, honey sounds like a terrible thing to get on you or your shirt.  A cheapo plastic bottle probably burns easy and black

Like wax, but stickier than candle wax.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162496 on: April 17, 2023, 06:19:32 pm »

Nuking it's apparently recommended as a way to decrystallize the stuff, and it's even mostly safe... with a glass container.

But yeah, despite some staggeringly unwise advice I noticed during a quick check if there was some kind of significant reason for the warning, trying it in a plastic bottle is repeatedly noted by google search results (and, like, basic familiarity with food preparation) as an invitation to a hospital trip for burn damage.

It's just such an incredibly obviously poor choice you'd think it'd be rare enough a warning label wasn't warranted, but. Apparently not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162497 on: April 17, 2023, 06:28:29 pm »

Since some plastic is microwave safe a lot of people will not think twice about putting plastic in general in a microwave. Same with the notices on some plastics specifying they are not oven safe. Sometimes the distinction will even come across as arbitrary to people who don't think much about it, 'Why is this plastic film able to go in the oven and this one isn't?' kind of thing.

To some extent it seems to be a general human thing to forget things. We get so used to doing something that we forget about that it's the exception to be doing it rather than the norm.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162498 on: April 17, 2023, 10:28:30 pm »

I dunno man, my general attitude toward plastic has always been never to get it hot. Forget meltdown, I'd just rather not find out what it's releasing when raised in temperature.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162499 on: April 18, 2023, 03:59:22 am »

Forget meltdown, I'd just rather not find out what it's releasing when raised in temperature.
But think of all the delicious chemicals you're missing out on!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162500 on: April 18, 2023, 05:36:22 am »

Get on the macroplastic grind.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162501 on: April 18, 2023, 11:34:07 am »

Since some plastic is microwave safe a lot of people will not think twice about putting plastic in general in a microwave. Same with the notices on some plastics specifying they are not oven safe. Sometimes the distinction will even come across as arbitrary to people who don't think much about it, 'Why is this plastic film able to go in the oven and this one isn't?' kind of thing.

To some extent it seems to be a general human thing to forget things. We get so used to doing something that we forget about that it's the exception to be doing it rather than the norm.

Plastic in general is inert to microwaves.

But only PE, PP, and PTFE are heat-safe up to 100°, which is the temperature that stuff containing liquid water will reach in a microwave. Stuff that contains semi-bound water, or that gets conductivity from different source may well reach a higher temperature.
Soft PE melts at around 115°C, burns at around 120°C (I did try casting this stuff). Hard PE has higher melting point, smoke point unknown.
I expect PP is more durable, and I know PTFE is the stuff plastic cooking utensils are made of.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 11:39:37 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #162502 on: April 19, 2023, 08:59:02 am »

moving by oneself sucks so bad

mandatory overtime for work sucks so bad

the city is doing is large object cleanup, except you don't get to participate if you're not a land-owning resident and instead are a renter, so i still have to figure out how to get rid of my mattress and box spring and this sucks so bad

i hit a slick patch and ended up fishtailing into a ditch on sunday- car is fine, i'm fine, but i'm out some four hundred bucks because someone phoned in my car to the police while i was waiting for insurance to find me a winch to get it out of the ditch, and the police called the local mechanic three miles away from the car and winched it out and then went home and charged me a bunch extra because the thing was locked in park (because i was in town waiting for insurance to move its ass), all before insurance even found a guy 45 minutes away, and then i had to get the car inspected to make sure it's still worthy for my move

insurance sucks so bad

girlfriend has a kidney stone and that sucks so bad for her

i'm just so tired

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162503 on: April 19, 2023, 09:47:36 am »

The last time I moved, I did it alone and with a broken arm. I sucked up the cost of movers because there was no way in hell I was going to be able to do it alone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162504 on: April 19, 2023, 12:07:11 pm »

It's been doing it for a long time to Chinese that fled the country, yes. This is a first time though they did this to a foreign journalist. Also a first time they start making fake bomb threats to embassies around Europe.
No surprises that after the UK cracked down on Chinese secret police operating in the UK they discovered links between the secret police and Tory party (ruling party) fundraising

It's like the old joke that you just naturally had to assume half of the civil service or UK parties had links to Soviet intelligence in the cold war, or that the Soviets would learn about American plans before the British did

girlfriend has a kidney stone and that sucks so bad for her

i'm just so tired
Are you able to get some proper rest and good food?

Could be worse. I knew a guy who managed to burn a pot by boiling water. And I've seen horrifying images from people who tried boiling an electric kettle on a gas fire stove

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162505 on: April 19, 2023, 01:06:49 pm »

I knew a guy who managed to burn a pot by boiling water.
Was it me? There was a sausage in my water, though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162506 on: April 20, 2023, 07:15:40 am »

Was it me? There was a sausage in my water, though.
Nah it was this cool American dude who lived with me for a while. He was a super talented pianist but lived on takeaway his whole life. He attempted to cook pasta once but read "bring water to boil" and didn't know when the water was finished "boiling" so he kept going until he burned the pot. Somehow. A pot of water.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162507 on: April 20, 2023, 07:21:02 am »

Seen that happen with kettles with too little water in them. The water evaporates and the film of minerals left behind burns on the heating element.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162508 on: April 20, 2023, 07:23:02 am »

Ive lost a couple good kettles that way.  Trust me, by the time you realize theyre damaged you wont want to drink out of them any more
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162509 on: April 20, 2023, 09:26:26 am »

Ive lost a couple good kettles that way.  Trust me, by the time you realize theyre damaged you wont want to drink out of them any more

Says piss cup
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10832 10833 [10834] 10835 10836 ... 11040