Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10803 10804 [10805] 10806 10807 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572574 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162060 on: March 09, 2023, 04:03:33 pm »

I think it reflects a trend for the modern left to hyper focus on symbolism and words to the detriment of material reality. If I were a conspiratorial sort I might say that this has been engineered by those who have stake in the game to create a managed, impotent opposition.
The primary source of cancel culture is conservatives, though? They're the ones actually passing legislature to see people driven into nonexistence and ejected from society, and they've made it clear they're intent on pushing that straight to the point of explicit genocide. The term's primary use, and by a wide, wide margin, is a snarl word by such folks whenever they see someone else going to even a fraction of the lengths they do.

About the worst you see from the modern left is an occasional mis-aimed dogpile by internet folks (which often enough is driven as much or more by random internet fuckwads as anyone leftwing), and it's pretty rare those are actually mis-aimed. It's a trend among the left of meaningful scope in the mind of rightwing talking heads, not reality, and amplified primarily as a cover for reactionary shitheelery.

I was not speaking about that, though. My point was a criticism of the approach of the modern left to achieve its goals, which I think misses the point and is not as effective as it could be.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162061 on: March 09, 2023, 04:11:43 pm »

Its why for instance we say "Climate Change" instead of Global Warming, because GW sounds worse and scarier, so they changed the word to something neutral.

Climate Change is a much more accurate term, because the shifting in a lot of important air and water currents many places aren't simply getting hotter (some are actually getting colder, and many are getting much bigger extremes in both directions) even if the planet as a whole is getting warmer. Destabilizing the entire climate paradigm is a much better description of what is going on and avoids lazy "this is the coldest winter we've ever had! so much for climate change!" comments.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162062 on: March 09, 2023, 04:58:54 pm »

I have heard the argument that 'climate change' was pushed by the liberals to replace 'global warming' so as to cover the climate hoax falling apart. Now I hear the conservatives did it to control the narrative. (As if both terms haven't been in use in literature since climate science was a thing)
The readiness with which some people want to make everything a US partisan issue is getting tiresome.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162063 on: March 09, 2023, 05:27:42 pm »

"getting tiresome"? :P

I think the overall shift to climate change is that Global Warming implied everything would just heat up. When climate change more accurately reflects that the weather is just going to get batshit crazy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162064 on: March 09, 2023, 05:45:18 pm »

Conservatives have been canceling stuff since before the dawn of civilization.
Not conservatives, but public shaming have been a common tool by people for a long time, unsurprisingly its a topic that has been addressed by various religions, I believe Abrahamic religions command you to rebuke others to correct their behavior, however, it comes with certain caveats like do so in private to avoid public embarrassment, with underlaying goal if being helpful not hateful judgmental ahole.

Nice ideal although not necessarily one that everyone live by, especially when we go out of our immediate circle of family, friends, community.

There is a difference of course now, which is that Liberals [..]
IMO the main difference is the internet and its effect on a society which spends increasingly more time online. Often the internet creates echo-chambers rather than bring people together, and there many studies that show a link between anonymity and abusive behavior. Meanwhile social media, unlike its traditional counterpart, due to its distributed nature have no adult in charge who could put the brakes on something.

In the past you could hold people accountable, but you had put an effort into it, while now days when our whole life is online and anyone can be harrassed with no effort, recourse or wish to talk. This especially problematic for marginalized, bored and lonely individuals who desire to belong and sense of purpose who find themselves in school like cliques online, and behave like angry or self absorbed kids mainly care about their online status (btw in the extreme it is the same group of people terrorist try to recruit from)

So what do the republicans do? They make up a new negative term focused on Liberal reaction to people saying racist, sexist, or even outright genocidal shit to try to control the narrative.
I don't know about republicans, far right, etc mentioned so far. From my limited experience here, most active posters here seem to be left of center on USA scale, and they also sometimes rush to judge, overreact or unnecessarily lashing out without considering the context, as well as throw around offensive slurs and leap to stereotypes ( for example when concerning musk and SpaceX)

This seems to have an overview of what happened.

Bit shitty really.
That is an understatement. Also wouldn't be surprised if many aren't as strong as her.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 06:49:05 pm by jipehog »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162065 on: March 09, 2023, 06:32:12 pm »

Honestly repubs keep doing the culture war crap because the alternative would be to actually govern and solve real problems.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162066 on: March 09, 2023, 07:12:32 pm »

Shame is a powerful tool for the weak to punch up against the strong. "Cancel Culture" is sometimes used by those who should be ashamed refusing to. Certainly there are times when it is misused, but it's like...genuinely the only tool the masses have right now.
Is that so different from Trump populist narrative, that they the 'people' fight the the 'Urban Elites', and justifying their "only" means to an end.

Bottom line you have two self righteous sides screaming at each others.

I think it reflects a trend for the modern left to hyper focus on symbolism and words to the detriment of material reality. If I were a conspiratorial sort I might say that this has been engineered by those who have stake in the game to create a managed, impotent opposition.

I don't see it as being engineered  or exclusive to any one political side, but a direct result of many cumulative changes in the media landscape e.g. things like changes to monetization which shape reportage for smaller outlets.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:14:10 pm by jipehog »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162067 on: March 09, 2023, 07:39:26 pm »

My big issue with cancel culture (And I have a lot of other ones. I'm not opposed to the basic idea, ie you do something shitty and you get punished societally as opposed to legally, but there's loads of problems with it) is the lack of forgiveness in it.

So often once someone gets cancelled, that's it. They can backtrack, apologise, turn their life around, but the cancellers will forever see them as the person they first attacked. There's being suspicious of an apology (especially when they don't actually make any changes after) and then there's being utterly merciless.

I remember seeing something similar with a musician, I think they did black metal? Regardless, a genre filled with bigots, fascists and the like. The guy was gay, turned his back on all of that stuff, and got associated with another band for a while. The article I was reading said that the author would consider that band tainted and bigoted if they still associated with him, even though he'd emphatically denounced all the bigotry.

EDIT: In my WTF: I remember the intro song to Balamory. Which isn't that weird except I have literally no recollection of ever having watched it. Every time I've listened to something from my childhood, even from a super young age, it's brought back memories. I'm blanking on this one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:47:32 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162068 on: March 09, 2023, 08:11:01 pm »

That's because it's not about 'punishment' or 'reform' for the targets, the Cancellers could not care less about any actually productive change being induced. They just want someone to beat on and harass. If we lived in some kind of sick society that, by lottery every day, picked out one person to be a pariah to jeer at, humiliate, and get gang-beaten to death, it would be these Cancellers that would be first in line to stomp on that daily pariah, because they just want a target that they can sadistically torture without consequence. The Cancellers are scum, the "Culture" is just a facade.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162069 on: March 09, 2023, 10:16:30 pm »

The primary source of cancel culture is conservatives, though? They're the ones actually passing legislature to see people driven into nonexistence and ejected from society, and they've made it clear they're intent on pushing that straight to the point of explicit genocide. The term's primary use, and by a wide, wide margin, is a snarl word by such folks whenever they see someone else going to even a fraction of the lengths they do.

About the worst you see from the modern left is an occasional mis-aimed dogpile by internet folks (which often enough is driven as much or more by random internet fuckwads as anyone leftwing), and it's pretty rare those are actually mis-aimed. It's a trend among the left of meaningful scope in the mind of rightwing talking heads, not reality, and amplified primarily as a cover for reactionary shitheelery.

I was not speaking about that, though. My point was a criticism of the approach of the modern left to achieve its goals, which I think misses the point and is not as effective as it could be.
By "modern", I assume you mean post-WWII.  It's not exactly new...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162070 on: March 09, 2023, 10:23:20 pm »

Honestly repubs keep doing the culture war crap because the alternative would be to actually govern and solve real problems.
Hm, no that is too simplistic.

It comes down to mobilizing masses of people. Both political parties exist to profit the rich.
The Democrats do that indirectly by promising to fund the poor in such a way as to benefit the rich.
The Republicans do that directly by keeping the rich from paying taxes.

Thus the Democrats have a direct way to get the masses to assist them: Money.
The Republicans NEED the culture wars to mobilize masses of people to support them.  They're certainly not gonna give them any money...

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162071 on: March 10, 2023, 01:40:43 am »

I would say that there is nothing simple about managing political campaigns, that both of your parties seem to find way to kick back money to your constituents, and Democrats also changed their messaging to appeal to mobilize masses.

Also in perception many people voted for Trump because he was seen as giving the middle finger to the establishment, it seem some of your feelings are shared across the aisle.

Finally I see many of the same ills you see in USA also appear in other countries across the pond, so maybe it is not intrinsic to the USA, but other changes that underlying and exarbating these issues.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #162072 on: March 10, 2023, 02:20:00 am »

If you're a far-right public figure or an apologist thereof, or say genocidal shit in public, you deserve to get cancelled. They do not deserve existence. Otherwise nah.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162073 on: March 10, 2023, 08:28:46 am »

Fake bombs and failed coup: Moldova smolders on border of Russia's war
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/fake-bombs-failed-coup-moldova-smolders-border-russias-war-2023-03-10/

Spoiler: article (click to show/hide)

'fake conscription call-ups', just imagine a bunch of kids trolling you about being called up via selective service.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162074 on: March 10, 2023, 09:21:58 am »

If you're a far-right public figure or an apologist thereof, or say genocidal shit in public, you deserve to get cancelled. They do not deserve existence. Otherwise nah.

Most people don't call that "getting cancelled" though.  Most people call it getting "cancelled" when people get drawn through the streets for a single comment or very few comments often taken way out of context.

If you are unequivocally saying "death to the <X>!" and people call you out, that's not being cancelled.  It's only "being cancelled" if you get drawn and quartered because you say something "insensitive" like "oh man I wish I had a darker complexion because I get sunburned so easily" and a mob thinking that is somehow a racist remark.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 10803 10804 [10805] 10806 10807 ... 11040