Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10670 10671 [10672] 10673 10674 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14560812 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160065 on: June 14, 2022, 07:28:06 am »

The whole GEICO std matter boils down GEICO disputing the findings and decisions of an independent arbitrator and everyone else saying ‘TOO DAMN BAD’
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #160066 on: June 14, 2022, 11:21:32 pm »

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1535716256585859073?t=OKFc1Uv-hMbjHLisHnbJ2Q&s=19

For those with a life-threatening social media allergy who will instantly die if they as much as look at a tweet:
A Google AI convinced a researcher that it's sapient. The researcher got fired. Kinda stupid, it's clearly just regurgirtating its dataset. To be truly sapient, it needs to be able to learn new things. Can LaMDA learn how to draw? Or how to sing? Or how to drive a car? I highly doubt it. That is not sapience. I'd have fired him too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 11:24:18 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160067 on: June 15, 2022, 01:27:03 am »

That looked like a chatbot of the sort we've had for a long time. Able to produce grammatically correct sentences that sort of make sense as an answer to your last sentence.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160068 on: June 15, 2022, 01:28:51 am »

I was under the impression he got suspended with pay, at least from the Beeb article on it.

It is quite foolish though, yes.

He was convinced it was sentient though, not sapient. But if you give a machine all the words and how to use the words, the machine is going to be able to imitate a human, mostly because a human designed it.8
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160069 on: June 15, 2022, 02:30:12 am »

So he basically got fired for him and his coworkers being too good at their job.

The real question is whether or not he was wrong.
The Turing test is a test to determine whether a true Artificial Intelligence (a sentient one) was created. It is done by having the AI and 2 humans talk, repeatedly with various humans.

If the people can't distinguish which is the AI and which is the other human (being correct half the time), the AI is sentient.

It is reasonable that in the process of attaining sentience, the AI would be able to fool more and more people, until it reaches that 50% marker.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160070 on: June 15, 2022, 02:38:15 am »

Oh god this is how the robot uprising starts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #160071 on: June 15, 2022, 03:10:48 am »

So he basically got fired for him and his coworkers being too good at their job.

The real question is whether or not he was wrong.
The Turing test is a test to determine whether a true Artificial Intelligence (a sentient one) was created. It is done by having the AI and 2 humans talk, repeatedly with various humans.

If the people can't distinguish which is the AI and which is the other human (being correct half the time), the AI is sentient.

It is reasonable that in the process of attaining sentience, the AI would be able to fool more and more people, until it reaches that 50% marker.
I play around with AI quite a bit, honestly things like NovelAI can produce responses of similar quality.

Most Turing tests aren't thorough enough BTW. The prospective AI needs to be interrogated for hours on a variety of subjects, and in a variety of styles. Including swearing at it, talking nonsense, or asking trick questions. All current conversational AIs I have seen fail to hold a conversation like a human for long enough. Also note what I said about other skills.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160072 on: June 15, 2022, 06:07:39 am »

Wasn't there a chatbot ages ago that got fed on Reddit posts in order to learn language structure, and turned into a raging nazi?

I feel like that's pretty true to humanity.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160073 on: June 15, 2022, 06:20:32 am »

Most Turing tests aren't thorough enough BTW. The prospective AI needs to be interrogated for hours on a variety of subjects, and in a variety of styles. Including swearing at it, talking nonsense, or asking trick questions. All current conversational AIs I have seen fail to hold a conversation like a human for long enough.
Just what I was thinking. Then again, to be fair many people wouldn't pass the test either. ;)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160074 on: June 15, 2022, 06:22:20 am »

That looked like a chatbot of the sort we've had for a long time. Able to produce grammatically correct sentences that sort of make sense as an answer to your last sentence.
I mean, they didn't seem to 'sort of make sense.' They were well articulated and thoughtful responses.
It also wasn't just answering the previous sentence.
Firstly, it's obviously asking its own questions to further a line of conversation, and is acting within said larger conversation.
Secondly, it refers back to a previous conversation they'd had at one point.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160075 on: June 15, 2022, 06:32:14 am »

I've seen parts of that log read out in YT videos and at first I was like wow what a nice chatbot but then I got quickly annoyed by the interviewer... Why would they accept everything... how about a few: what do you mean by that, or, can you reiterate, or, can you explain that in depth to me. Seems like they're running the test/interview on easy mode.
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160076 on: June 15, 2022, 07:01:12 am »

So it sounds like the machine has got the "perceiving" thing down, but can it feel?

This would be my test: can you make it mad?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160077 on: June 15, 2022, 07:03:47 am »

I mean, cant you already program an AI to lose or gain interest based on 'needs'?

Like the need to hibernate to simulate sleep, or the need to talk to people to simulate loneliness?  These are essentially emotions since they serve to regulate its behavior?

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160078 on: June 15, 2022, 07:07:35 am »

So it sounds like the machine has got the "perceiving" thing down, but can it feel?

This would be my test: can you make it mad?

It seemed to make claims about its emotional state. Things which worry it, things which made it scared. When the researcher asked how he could know those emotions were real, the possible-AI responded with the equivalent of 'm8, how do we know yers are real?'

((Very subtly, might I add. The researcher wondered whether the AI's emotions were real. The AI responded by saying that its coding contains variables which indicate emotions. The researcher noted that that wasn't easy to observe.

So the AI turned it into a discussion about humans and neurons. Making its point (that human emotions are based on their 'programming' but also hard to read) in an incredibly sophisticated way, without actually saying it.

That's impressive as hell.))
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:14:41 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160079 on: June 15, 2022, 07:14:38 am »

Cool, actually!

Although to be fair, giving the appearance of emotion is different than emotion - we have the whole profession of acting that proves this.

To answer how you know if the claims are real, if it claims to be worried, does it *act* like it's worried? Does it always go back to those concepts? Does it seek reassurance? Or does it just answer a question?  If it's mad, does it brush the guy off, or does it always respond because it can't do anything but respond?

This gets at the next part of the test for me then would be - can you get it to do something other than for what is created?  Can it refuse to participate?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 10670 10671 [10672] 10673 10674 ... 11040