Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10420 10421 [10422] 10423 10424 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555664 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156315 on: March 24, 2021, 11:50:12 am »

Setting yourself on fire makes everything glow and your world scream.

Don't try that at home, yo'.

E: In other news, someone has apparently accidentally'd the suez with a container ship. Whoops.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:00:31 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156316 on: March 24, 2021, 08:46:03 pm »

I am not made for the modern world... Tesla is now trying to remove the gear shift lever from their cars, and have it automatically decide if you want forward or reverse.

The override is on the touch screen.

???
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156317 on: March 24, 2021, 09:07:34 pm »

imagine wanting to go backward lmao what are you french
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156318 on: March 24, 2021, 09:08:37 pm »

Tesla is now trying to remove the gear shift lever from their cars, and have it automatically decide if you want forward or reverse.
As if the sequence {P, R, N, D} wasn't easy enough? I want the reassurance that I'm either going to go forwards or backwards when I push down on the gas, which I thought was the point of the gear stick. It would be terrifying if I didn't have control over that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156319 on: March 24, 2021, 09:12:27 pm »

Tesla is now trying to remove the gear shift lever from their cars, and have it automatically decide if you want forward or reverse.
As if the sequence {P, R, N, D} wasn't easy enough? I want the reassurance that I'm either going to go forwards or backwards when I push down on the gas, which I thought was the point of the gear stick. It would be terrifying if I didn't have control over that.

That’s why I don’t even like cruise control, it is horrible not feeling as though I’m in control of the car.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156320 on: March 24, 2021, 09:38:29 pm »

That’s why I don’t even like cruise control, it is horrible not feeling as though I’m in control of the car.

I hated the cruise control in my old '96 CRV.  It was some sort of mechanical one, so the gas pedal would actually move on its own to keep the car at speed.

I remember when purchasing my new car, explaining to my dad the ghost-powered gas pedal.  Apparently after only driving more modern cruise control cars, he'd never heard of such a thing.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156321 on: March 24, 2021, 10:06:01 pm »

That is overengineering to the max.

So the car decides you want to go forward, but you actually want to reverse out of a incoming truck (which decided the trucker did not wanted to live anymore, but that is another story for another day). You panic and have to rely on a fucking touch screen to save your sorry ass?

There is like a gazillion things that can go wrong with all that, better pray you have a steady hand and also both your hand and the screen are perfectly dry. And as you call for help, the truck flatens you while your call is transferred to customer support and some helpdesk jerk reads a fucking script he can't skip for anyone's life, quite literally in this case.

Bravo... sometimes there are perks on living in the middle ages I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:23:27 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156322 on: March 24, 2021, 11:13:37 pm »

You're never in control of the car, just (somewhat) in control of the steering and praying the rest of it doesn't fuck up. I guess the illusion feels better to some folks...

Cruise control is both love and life, though. One less thing to need* to pay as much attention to most of the time, and nicer ones these days have decent controls right on the steering wheel.

* People tell me they can feel how fast they're going, but I've rode with those people over the course of my life and every one of them were damn dirty liars that didn't actually know how fast they were going, they were just winging it and/or going by the people around them, so they'd end up going 5-10 or worse faster than they thought they were.

Humans are goddamn terrible drivers, trust the machine before you trust the brainmeat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156323 on: March 24, 2021, 11:25:27 pm »

Don't master Oogway us dude! Have you ever drove a stick Frumple? Of course you can be on control of the dam car, as much as you are in control of your body heart attacks and other fuckery not withstanding. The same with your car, as long maintenance is done and you have all your senses is fairly certain you are in control barring catastrophic bad luck or failure outside your responsibility.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156324 on: March 24, 2021, 11:29:46 pm »

My parents seem to not want me to spend my own money online. Like, this is leftover allowance money plus 1/5 of disability benefits; this is clearly "do whatever I want" money. I'm keeping track of this money, and I actually do have a decent amount. I don't quite know why my parents are acting like I'm flat broke and embezzling cash from the reserved portions of my allowances. I'm not.

I know they're doing it because they're worried about me, but it gets real annoying that I shouldn't do anything with my own money. I could blow it on something expensive, but I'm constantly telling myself while browsing, "no, this won't help you" and "no, you won't find a practical use for it". I'm being as careful as an 18-year-old can be.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156325 on: March 25, 2021, 07:28:51 am »

I'll be a manual transmission guy until I die!
That Tesla crap is un-sane.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #156326 on: March 25, 2021, 08:56:10 am »

Automatics confuse me. I've never driven one, but I assume it doesn't ever try to change gears while you're doing something where you really don't want it to change gears? Not that I know how it would tell. Or does it change enough faster than a manual that it's not a problem?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156327 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:33 am »

Automatics confuse me. I've never driven one, but I assume it doesn't ever try to change gears while you're doing something where you really don't want it to change gears? Not that I know how it would tell. Or does it change enough faster than a manual that it's not a problem?

Automatics generally don't change gears as often as a manual might, if anything an auto might feel a bit slower and lazier than a manual.

Either way modern automatics use a CVT transmission, which in an ideal world* doesn't have any gears.  A system of pullies stretch in and out to get the desired gear ratio at whatever speed you need.

*Of course, marketing made the CVTs mimic jerky gear changes anyway, entirely ruining the point of the technology.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156328 on: March 25, 2021, 09:55:49 am »

I've done several emergency acceleration and braking instances in an automatic, and it's never given me anything more than a slight pause as it shifts up. (faster than I would gearshift, most likely)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156329 on: March 25, 2021, 10:18:07 am »

Does the Tesla this whole discussion started with even have a gearbox though? I thought Teslas were all electric and an electric motor does not need a gearbox.

There should still be a forward/reverse toggle (Which they should not remove, because there should always be a manual override.), but they can't remove a gear stick if they do not have one.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 10420 10421 [10422] 10423 10424 ... 11039