Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10412 10413 [10414] 10415 10416 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555558 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156195 on: March 14, 2021, 09:08:00 pm »

From what I understand, it isn't possible to 3D print metal objects yet. Or at the very least it isn't possible to 3D print objects out of metals while maintaining the metal-like durability. Casting does exist, but that is usually reserved for situations where durability does not matter as much.

There's a reason why blacksmith's would beat things with a hammer rather than melt it into a mould. In factories when we shape metal, we usually machine them (ie. saw off bits until we get the shape we want, like carving a sculpture) or we fold or stamp them, usually after heating it up a little.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156196 on: March 14, 2021, 09:40:35 pm »

From what I understand, it isn't possible to 3D print metal objects yet. Or at the very least it isn't possible to 3D print objects out of metals while maintaining the metal-like durability. Casting does exist, but that is usually reserved for situations where durability does not matter as much.

There's a reason why blacksmith's would beat things with a hammer rather than melt it into a mould. In factories when we shape metal, we usually machine them (ie. saw off bits until we get the shape we want, like carving a sculpture) or we fold or stamp them, usually after heating it up a little.

Not quite true. There are metal printers, and they're good enough to make rocket parts, but the properties aren't the same.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156197 on: March 14, 2021, 10:36:28 pm »

Not quite true. There are metal printers, and they're good enough to make rocket parts, but the properties aren't the same.

My father was doing research into 3d printed satellites.  I recall something about one of those robot arms used to assemble cars, but with some sort of printer head on the end of it.

He was saying that such a big arm couldn't stop precisely enough to print accurately.  Printing at such size was also an issue as the material would cool at uneven rates.  Another issue was if the printed material had any sort of air bubbles in it, which would be bad moving into a vacuum.

I think the idea was to actually do the printing in space, but the example printings they could think of still needed significant machining to actually use anyway, usually holes and metal anchors for screws and such.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156198 on: March 15, 2021, 12:35:38 pm »

How to beat Skyrim without walking

...it's an hour long. Just so you know.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156199 on: March 15, 2021, 12:36:31 pm »

ymfah is glorious as ever

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156200 on: March 15, 2021, 01:27:22 pm »

I'm only 18 minutes in but I haven't laughed this hard in a while.  Such good music taste too!  I didn't know how much my soul needed a wrong-warp-into-sky-meditation accompanied by Pursuit of Truth a Halo chant.  Not to mention Scandroid and Perturbator I think, and other good music <3

Just wow, the sheer system mastery at work.  The eventual solution to the Thalmor Embassy had me shouting "Wait, no... surely not!  NOO" at my screen.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156201 on: March 15, 2021, 03:28:02 pm »

I'm only 18 minutes in but I haven't laughed this hard in a while.  Such good music taste too!  I didn't know how much my soul needed a wrong-warp-into-sky-meditation accompanied by Pursuit of Truth a Halo chant.  Not to mention Scandroid and Perturbator I think, and other good music <3

Just wow, the sheer system mastery at work.  The eventual solution to the Thalmor Embassy had me shouting "Wait, no... surely not!  NOO" at my screen.
Dear god, the jelly.

The jelly.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156202 on: March 15, 2021, 03:31:33 pm »

Elon Musk is trolling the SEC, filing a report with the SEC to change his title to "Technoking of Tesla".  The CFO is now "Master of Coin".

I don't understand this world in which we live...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156203 on: March 15, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »

Elon Musk is trolling the SEC, filing a report with the SEC to change his title to "Technoking of Tesla".  The CFO is now "Master of Coin".

I don't understand this world in which we live...

Rich people noticed they can be even more decadent and people won't/can't stop them.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156204 on: March 15, 2021, 04:51:10 pm »

It's time to just give up and vote Vermin Supreme for President.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156205 on: March 15, 2021, 05:05:57 pm »

It's time to just give up and vote Vermin Supreme Trump for President.

A surprising amount of Americans in 2016, angrily flailing about because their system won't help them.  Look what it got them.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156206 on: March 15, 2021, 05:30:38 pm »

A surprising amount of Americans in 2016, angrily flailing about because their system won't help them.  Look what it got them.

Everything they ever wanted in a president?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156207 on: March 15, 2021, 05:33:54 pm »

Like half of a campaign promise in the shape of a couple miles of wall/fence, sure.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156208 on: March 15, 2021, 05:40:34 pm »

Like half of a campaign promise in the shape of a couple miles of wall/fence, sure.

"HE'S AS ANGRY AS I AM RRRRRRR."
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156209 on: March 15, 2021, 05:50:39 pm »

But with all that BIG MAD and the combined might of a republican controlled presidency, senate, congress, and even judicial he managed to accomplish... basically diddly squat.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 10412 10413 [10414] 10415 10416 ... 11039