Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10349 10350 [10351] 10352 10353 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555139 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155250 on: January 16, 2021, 12:01:55 pm »

It might be the symbol of the sniper unit. Or symbolise his love for KISS
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155251 on: January 16, 2021, 12:05:44 pm »

Why would the SS represent a fellow Marine sniper. How does that connect.

I assume he's lying about the intent.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155252 on: January 16, 2021, 12:08:05 pm »

Here is a problem with banning the SS symbol, swastika, and iron cross.
They were not invented by the nazi.

The SS symbol is just the acronym, written in an old script (new Futhark). So banning it would essentialy be banning all words containing the group "ss".
The swastika is a Buddhist and Hindu holy symbol.
The iron cross is a symbol from Prussian military decorations.

The problem is, that evil people can use things that were not originaly bad. It just does not make sense to me, banning things because they were misused.

It might be the symbol of the sniper unit. Or symbolise his love for KISS
Or be his initials. I do not know if it is, but it could be.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155253 on: January 16, 2021, 12:10:25 pm »

But the guy's name was Claudio Patino IV...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #155254 on: January 16, 2021, 12:12:39 pm »

Obviously it stands for Sharp Shooter. C'mon. What happened to presumption of innocence? :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155255 on: January 16, 2021, 12:14:21 pm »

There have been multiple scandals invokving "elite" military units (in multipke nations) cargo-cilting the SS due to the myth that the Waffen-SS were elite supersoldiers. Marines ckaiming that the SS runes they were wearing stood for "scout sniper" is merely one of the most famous.

The Iron Cross wasn't even heavily used by the Reich, which used the straight-armed balkencruz much more often. Most of the association is from postwar media pitting a eisencruz in the place of the swastika.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155256 on: January 16, 2021, 12:17:22 pm »

I think it depends on the situation. I used to own Buddhist rosaries, given to me by a friend, that we donated to a local Buddhist temple because they had swastikas on them. They were *very clearly* being used for a religious purpose, but I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea; and I'm not East Asian, unlike the friend, so it wasn't exactly my culture to reclaim.

I also had a joke MAGA hat at one point that I got rid of because I realized that from far away, it just looks like I would be wearing a regular MAGA hat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155257 on: January 16, 2021, 01:27:31 pm »

Iconography is the issue, not symbols themselves. Subtle but important difference.
This is a blank sig.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155258 on: January 16, 2021, 02:23:02 pm »

In Germany it is basically illegal to use/display Nazi symbols or ideas in a positive light, or for non-satirical purposes.

Spreading Nazi Iconography for the sake of it: Prison
Inglorious Basterds: Allowed
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #155259 on: January 16, 2021, 03:15:49 pm »

TBH way too often neonazis use the "Itīs a traditional buddhist symbol!" excuse to try to justify swastikas in situations where it makes 0 sense.

Recently VOX claimed that one of their MPs had it in her twitter profile because it means "good luck" in sanskrit (yeah, sure...  ::) )

A few years ago, a legionaire (of the Spanish legion army branch, which has a long history of fascist and protofascist sympathies) was spotted in Easter processions with a swastika tattoo... and the right wing media tried to defend him by saying that perhaps he was a Buddhist (yeah, a Buddhist in an Easter procession helping carry a hugeass statue of the Virgin Mary. Sure. ::) )
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155260 on: January 16, 2021, 03:55:38 pm »

Yeah, I mean sure, a budist or new age hippie using it, its understable. Another person using it not ironically or satirical or you know, a movie or play or the like, well, its hard to explain.

Communist symbols should have the same treatment, sorry if that opinion its impopular with most of yoy guys.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155261 on: January 16, 2021, 04:08:27 pm »

Which is, uh. The hammer and sickle and that's, like. It? Che's head, maybe. I'm drawing a blank on anything else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155262 on: January 16, 2021, 04:19:47 pm »

Che's stupid head, althougt that has an ironic comicall end as he became a prime example of capitalizing something, even his homophic and hyprocital fucking face.

The rest, every fucking comunist regime have had its own idiotic symbols but nothing like the glorious soviet rusia ones.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155263 on: January 16, 2021, 04:30:29 pm »

idk, I have a pretty high opinion of how Mao did his dirt.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155264 on: January 16, 2021, 04:34:23 pm »

Hmm ... I imagine some people would see the guillotine in a similar light.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 10349 10350 [10351] 10352 10353 ... 11039