Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10293 10294 [10295] 10296 10297 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14537709 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154410 on: November 17, 2020, 08:03:08 am »

I mean, we're too far removed from the situation to offer any real insight, but it could be he's decided to make a project of you in some way. You can confront him and ask him not to do this, or take advantage of it. He may be trying to develop you socially, or romantically, or just get you laid. If any of this seems uncomfortably patronising, just remember that he probably thinks he's being subtle, the poor lamb.

I've had something like that. An incredibly handsome and adored-by-women guy once decided on a night out that he was going to "wingman" me. Incredibly, he went about this by approaching a pair of women dancing alone and asking bluntly if they were attracted to me. Now that usually works for the girls that enjoy wingman-ing him, but I'm less of an Adonis. Also, we happened to be in a gay club, so... that went poorly.

Moral: never underestimate the human capacity for well-meaning, poorly thought out unsolicited assistance. I conclude with a gif.
One wheel short of a wagon

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154411 on: November 17, 2020, 08:57:29 am »

I stick to indie games for the most part. They don't have the problems LordBaal described, for the most part.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154412 on: November 17, 2020, 02:19:03 pm »

Man, when I loaded up a cab calloway playlist for today's work music, what I wasn't expecting was to run into Chinese Rhythm. Fine tunes for a while and then suddenly pretty wild racism.

Dude did good music, by and large, but... yeah. There was some product of the times stuff in there, too, yikes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154413 on: November 17, 2020, 02:21:24 pm »

I fell asleep in class accidentally so I didn’t put my name on the chat at the end to show that I stayed in the meeting

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154414 on: November 17, 2020, 03:36:26 pm »

*snip*

Dude is definitely a well-intentioned idiot.

I'll share a little story. Back when I was in high school, there was this guy (who I will call Scott), who believed I was popular with the ladies. The evidence Scott had to back this up was that he interpreted the conversations I had with some girls as flirtatious. He wished he had my level of "success".

Of course, cause Scott was a sexually inexperienced high schooler, he did not actually know what flirting looked like. Though I did talk to those girls often, it was more of a gay-friend dynamic (even though I'm not gay) rather than anything that could actually lead to something. He did not have the maturity to see that.

Unfortunately, I took Scott's words to heart cause I didn't know any better either and proceeded to make a fool of myself. Ironically, he ended up finding a girlfriend a year later while I'm still single at the age of 21.

Moral of the story:
Your "friend" is Scott. Don't take dating advice from Scott. Talk to him about Warhammer instead. Mine was quite into that.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154415 on: November 17, 2020, 05:19:22 pm »

Most likely he is oblivious of your sexual orientation, or perhaps he just wanted for you to interact more with his friends.

I have seen this before. An introvert gets "adopted" by some ongoing and extrovert. Most likely he just took a liking of you (maybe just friendship, maybe not) and want you around. Introducing you to his social circles would further that goal.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154416 on: November 17, 2020, 05:55:35 pm »

He messaged me about that interaction, and it was pretty much to get me to socialize with them. He also gave some "advice" that I couldn't take seriously: instead of trying to find common ground and taking advantage of that, (try to) feign interest in their stuff. Talk about fucking TikTok, as if I look like someone who gives even the tiniest bit of a shit about that. Do I look like someone who would feign interest in anything?

Dude's really trying to make me override methods that I know work (barge in via common interests) and replace them with methods that are high-risk, dubious-reward (fake it 'till you make it). I take risks, yes, but I only go for those that have been documented to give a substantial reward. This reeks of extrovert. I have nothing against them, but these read like extrovert tactics. I can't execute these well.

Honestly, I find it entertaining. I wanna hear more words of "wisdom" from him.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154417 on: November 17, 2020, 06:29:24 pm »

You could be honest with him too. Just being tacful about it. Tell him that you really dont like things like tiktok and that you are sure you could find a common ground on other things. Maybe there are other topics of conversation like the university stuff you all share (teachers, deans, infraestructure), movies, series, music, you know, youth people standar stuff.

On this you migth also open up a little. You dont have to be into tiktok and you can be honest about it and then talk about the why, but also could not hurt to research a little into it or ask them about what they like about it and then you talk about what you like i. e.

Sports are a good topic too, even with girls, but I migth be biased because while Im far from your sportsman my wife loves them and is very good at them.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154418 on: November 17, 2020, 06:31:49 pm »

Being social can be as simple as laughing when people make a joke and just smiling and being warm towards people.

Learning about what people like to talk about shows you want to be around them, which is itself a great way to express warmth.  People like feeling like theyre worth your time.

RE: tiktok.  The girl Im talking to likes to make little inspirational clips via tiktok.  She also sends me various inspirational videos and an occasional outburst.  She's into the healthier side of tiktok, which does exist.  its not all dancing kiddies and pranksters.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #154419 on: November 17, 2020, 06:38:44 pm »

zero-day patching is governed by a whole other set of nasty things.  Usually involving management, and bullshit deadlines that were intentionally short.  That is not really the programmer's fault.

People also talk about how in the old days they didn't need patches and fixes, things worked out of the box. But that's really good old days thinking. When a game shipped on a couple of floppies or a Nintendo ROM cartridge, they were tiny, and simple enough that one person could know every line of code in the thing. It's a lot different to say you shipped an executable that runs in 64K of memory with all assets drawn by the programmer, and runs on a set piece of hardware, and there were no bugs on launch day, vs shipping a program that's 50GB worth of code and data and runs on any one of possibly billions of system configurations, and there were no bugs on launch day. Sure they could maintain the no-bugs-on-launch day thing, but the problem with that is that with the ever-increasing complexity, nothing would ever get shipped and the companies would just collapse. At some point, you need to ship just to stay in business. For example, consider if Notch didn't release Minecraft until it was "finished".

More importantly, a lot of games in the old days were buggy as fuck. There was just no easy way to patch them other than by shipping new media (in the case of installable computer software, you could get by with just a disk containing the patch, but even on computers much stuff was designed to run from floppy) so either people put up with the bugs or the game wound up in the ash heap of history.

Indeed, most NES-era games were held together with spit and bailing wire at the best of times.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154420 on: November 17, 2020, 07:19:11 pm »

Ahh yes--- like the Pacman arcade game, that suffers an integer overrun when you try to get to level 256. :)

Or the original super mario bros, when you get more than 256 lives, such as by using the "Turtle walk"..  Or when you get sent to world -1

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154421 on: November 17, 2020, 07:19:44 pm »

He messaged me about that interaction, and it was pretty much to get me to socialize with them. He also gave some "advice" that I couldn't take seriously: instead of trying to find common ground and taking advantage of that, (try to) feign interest in their stuff. Talk about fucking TikTok, as if I look like someone who gives even the tiniest bit of a shit about that. Do I look like someone who would feign interest in anything?

Dude's really trying to make me override methods that I know work (barge in via common interests) and replace them with methods that are high-risk, dubious-reward (fake it 'till you make it). I take risks, yes, but I only go for those that have been documented to give a substantial reward. This reeks of extrovert. I have nothing against them, but these read like extrovert tactics. I can't execute these well.

Honestly, I find it entertaining. I wanna hear more words of "wisdom" from him.

You can show interest in things other people are interested in even if they haven't interested you before. It's polite, shows you're attentive, and makes them feel nice. You may even begin to get interested in it too. Yes, they are things that extroverts do, but everybody should be at least a bit of an extrovert, in my opinion. Humans are generally social creatures. I wouldn't be so dismissive all the time.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #154422 on: November 17, 2020, 07:59:02 pm »

Ahh yes--- like the Pacman arcade game, that suffers an integer overrun when you try to get to level 256. :)

Or the original super mario bros, when you get more than 256 lives, such as by using the "Turtle walk"..  Or when you get sent to world -1

Precisely. Those are extreme examples, of course, except for the Minus World, but there's a host of other cases that have been forgotten because they killed the game they were in.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154423 on: November 17, 2020, 08:04:59 pm »

I mean integer overrun at 256 seems mostly like a design limitation rather than an outright bug. Unless it was stored in a two-byte integer or something.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154424 on: November 17, 2020, 08:09:20 pm »

It's a coding error, because there is no check to prevent further increment, which then corrupts the next byte over.
Pages: 1 ... 10293 10294 [10295] 10296 10297 ... 11037