Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10213 10214 [10215] 10216 10217 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14557619 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153210 on: August 23, 2020, 07:03:08 pm »

My father has always operated on *not* having debt and he has done just fine 🤔
That's a nice benefit of having capital but most people utilize mortgages, student loans, and installment plans on cars if not other appliances.  It's often the best long term choice under capitalism, even though you end up paying a lot more, because you get the good thing and can use it to make more money.  Home ownership has a lot of costs yet it's generally more lucrative than renting (particularly before the housing bubble...)

I like to think of it like one of those vidya games like Starcraft.  If someone offered you a 500 mineral loan at the start of the game, but you had to pay back 1000 in 10 minutes, it'd be an astoundingly easy choice.  More skilled players might only need 3 minutes or less to leverage that capital.

Of course that looming specter of debt keeps everyone on edge and focused on literally buying their lives back.  Not everyone makes it.  Horrifying, huh?  That's capitalism, baby, and it inspires a certain selfishness despite our better natures.  Why does no one stop climate change?  Because most of us aren't free to do so, and the people who do have power didn't get it by caring about others.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153211 on: August 23, 2020, 07:07:33 pm »

It's quite different for individuals vs the government.

If the government pays down all their debt at once that does in fact crash the economy. Not the fact that they paid it, but the fact they need to divert that money from elsewhere. All the programs that need to be axed.

For individuals you don't need to worry about everyone you trade with going broke when you tighten your belt, but the government does, which is why anyone trying to get elected by comparing the national budget to a household budget is a huckster you should vote against.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:35:27 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153212 on: August 23, 2020, 07:08:49 pm »

Now that they have the power, they can use said power to stop/mitigate climate change

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153213 on: August 23, 2020, 07:20:31 pm »

It's quite different for individuals vs the government.

If the government pays down all their debt at once that does in fact crash the economy. Not the fact that they paid it, but the fact they need to divert that money from elsewhere. All the programs that need to be axed.

For individuals you don't need to worry about everyone you trade with going broke when you tighten your belt, but the government does, which is why anyone trying to get elected by comparing the national budget to a household budget is a huckster you should vote against.
But the previous post wasn't talking about the goverment, but about small business. I don't think it necessarily follows that a small business should run while on debt
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153214 on: August 23, 2020, 07:24:39 pm »

Another factor is that if we massively boost nuclear with current tech then available uranium of sufficient quality wouldn't last very long, so it's not actually a viable thing to scale up to the point that it solves global warming.
That's a claim I've heard before but I ran the numbers and it doesn't appear to be true? I don't know where it came from or what the actual underlying argument is. If it's based on assumed exponential growth of human energy consumption, which is what I suspect, then I'm pretty sure we'd actually cook ourselves - just from heat production alone, regardless of global warming - before we succeeded.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153215 on: August 23, 2020, 07:42:20 pm »

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-long-will-global-uranium-deposits-last/

According to the NEA, identified uranium resources total 5.5 million metric tons, and an additional 10.5 million metric tons remain undiscovered—a roughly 230-year supply at today's consumption rate in total. Further exploration and improvements in extraction technology are likely to at least double this estimate over time.

Just math. The estimated known and unknown reserves account for 230 years of fuel at current rates of consumption. That's also 10% of current electricity generation. So if we went 100% nuclear and all the unknown reserves were suddenly revealed to us, then it would only last 23 years, about half the expected lifetime of any of the existing plants.

If you go on a "this is the tech we have now, these are the uranium deposits we know about now" basis then you can't actually build that many more nuclear plants before they're using up the uranium faster than you can find it. At 100% nuclear, known deposits would all have been mined out after 8 years. Uranium could maybe be stretched to 20% of world consumption (known deposits all exhausted after 40 years, the lifetime of the plants), but not really any higher than that without being left with a bunch of expensive doorstops and companies fighting over the scraps of uranium.

So nuclear is good, but it's one of those things that's only good if nobody else is doing it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:56:16 pm by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153216 on: August 23, 2020, 07:53:36 pm »

I'll be a bit optimistic and say: Space resources will make resources real limitless and is the only way to go if we don't kill ourselves/each other first.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153217 on: August 23, 2020, 08:01:23 pm »

That would be true, but nobody wants to invest in trillions of dollars in off-world infrastructure to get off-world mining and fuel production and habitation going unless there's an immediate profit in it. And there's not, not really anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153218 on: August 23, 2020, 08:14:51 pm »

I've been practicing driving with my dad, and it turns out that I'm worse at keeping within my lane on the highway than on the "normal" (for lack of a better word) roads. In other words, a wider road is harder for me to drive in than a narrow road. I get more margin for error, and somehow I get worse.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153219 on: August 23, 2020, 08:26:40 pm »

It's because you are going faster, you are never going to be perfectly lined up with the center of your lane. 

If your car drifts maybe a 1 foot off from the center every 300 feet you travel down the road it may not be a big deal at 25 or 30 miles per hour because it takes a bit over 8 seconds to travel that distance.  But if you are off center by the same amount and traveling highway speed, say 75 to 80 mph, that same 300 feet takes only 2.7 seconds.  That can make it a bit harder to stay in lane until you get more experienced, and unfortunately the only way to get more experienced is to do it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 08:30:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153220 on: August 23, 2020, 08:46:43 pm »

Driving a stick?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153221 on: August 23, 2020, 09:13:54 pm »

I've been practicing driving with my dad, and it turns out that I'm worse at keeping within my lane on the highway than on the "normal" (for lack of a better word) roads. In other words, a wider road is harder for me to drive in than a narrow road. I get more margin for error, and somehow I get worse.

Yeah what Greiger said, practice makes perfect. I had to drive 10 hours on highways over 2 days, that rather set me up for being comfortable with driving highways. Also moving house 2 hours away, and doing either the to or from leg of that journey.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 08:16:18 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153222 on: August 23, 2020, 09:25:42 pm »

Driving a stick?
I drive automatic. I can only drive automatic. I knew from the start that I probably couldn't multitask well enough to drive stick, so I specifically got an automatic-only driver's license. That means I can't be a taxi, truck or racecar driver, but I wasn't really planning on being one anyway.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153223 on: August 23, 2020, 09:57:42 pm »

Hot damn, seven new pages in here overnight?!   
I'm probably not gonna go back and read it all, but it's nice to see the forums so active. :)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153224 on: August 23, 2020, 10:09:39 pm »

Hot damn, seven new pages in here overnight?!   
I'm probably not gonna go back and read it all, but it's nice to see the forums so active. :)   
Summary: Talking about see through fridges turned into a conversation about launching Antarctica into space, which turned into a conversation about climate change, aerosols, nuclear power etc. and then we went to why don’t people work together, which touched on human tendencies to deny problems...
Pages: 1 ... 10213 10214 [10215] 10216 10217 ... 11039