Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9481 9482 [9483] 9484 9485 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524127 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142230 on: January 27, 2019, 11:51:16 pm »

It did look pretty strange seen through the trees, and the wind moving the tree branches made it look like the light itself was moving. But it was still pretty obviously the moon.

The thing is, if these spacecraft are getting to Earth undetected it makes little sense that they are gigantic balls of light.

There's tons of balls of light in the night sky.  And from a certain perspective, they are certainly gigantic.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142231 on: January 27, 2019, 11:52:48 pm »

Every time the astronomers look, the aliens say "quick, pretend to be a star".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142232 on: January 28, 2019, 12:17:49 am »

"Why is that star wandering?"
"Haha, because it's a planet!  Nice meme!"
"No, it's... eh nevermind, I must have been seeing things."

WTF:  Had to give my housemate a jumpstart this morning, he left his lights on.  I've certainly been there, done that.  Just, he insisted on hooking one of the negative leads to my car frame instead of the negative terminal.  Because cars are a safe place to be struck by lightning, so the tires serve as a ground, was the logic I got explained through...

I don't mean to be harsh on him, I was freaking out with basically superstitious fear at handling the jumper cables.  I'm... not really comfortable around high voltage, which may be for the best.  A sparking breaker for the water pump in a wet basement we reset with a long wooden stick, an electrical horsefence I woke up next to one day, unsure of the circumstances that had brought me there...  I worry about electricity.

mike pence meme

Well eventually I took charge, pushing through my fear and at the risk of bruising his ego.  With all four leads on the two batteries, the car started fine.  It was just a weird morning.

And things just got weirder when a friend of his dropped by out of the blue before he got home.  It was fun, I guess.  Lots of... gosh, just super problematic talk, about many geo-political/religious/gender things, but I'm pretty good at not being offended these days.  Which is different from not showing offense: I have gotten good at glazing over the emotional response and considering how best to respond.  It's exhausting but it's probably useful.

WTF am I even talking about, this was just a weird day.  Turned out really well, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142233 on: January 28, 2019, 01:28:00 am »

Here's something delightfully entertaining.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190123/family-says-hacked-nest-camera-warned-them-of-north-korean-missile-attack

I have heard reports that this story is itself a hoax, so this is a hoax-ception story I guess. Anyway, the premise of it makes me laugh. A lot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142234 on: January 28, 2019, 04:19:50 am »

The chassis of a car is indeed grounded, and you are indeed technically supposed to clamp the final connection to the chassis. Reasoning for this appears to be in order to prevent the dead battery from turning into a live bomb.

https://community.cartalk.com/t/jumpstart-why-does-black-get-grounded-and-not-hooked-to-negative-on-dead-battery/72155/16

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142235 on: January 28, 2019, 04:26:06 am »

Man, I hate having to clean out my room full of accumulated months of depression when it comes time for a house inspection.
I suppose the real problem is that I struggle so much to find the motivation to complete basic household tasks at the best of times, but still... this is a very stressful time for me.
At least my room doesn't seem to be really quite as much of a lost cause as I thought, but still.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142236 on: January 28, 2019, 07:11:23 am »

Is not the voltage but the amperage which fucks you up on the case of car batteries.

Conectig the + to + and - to - when jump starting never resulted in explosive surprises for me or anyone I know.

Pd: How are you feeking Yoink? Go to the doctor today please.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142237 on: January 28, 2019, 08:47:30 am »

I believe one of the reasons for the "clamp the last clip to your car's frame" thing is because people are dumb and clumsy. You don't want someone to drop the clip in such a manner that it welds itself across the terminals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142238 on: January 28, 2019, 09:45:04 am »

Just clicked the "country" tag on Bandcamp to see if I could find some new discovery with which to appease my over-stressed self sitting here at almost 2am - and the first result was an album from Sierra Ferrel! From November last year! I have no idea how I missed this, I didn't know she'd released an album. :o
It's living up to expectations so far!

Pd: How are you feeking Yoink? Go to the doctor today please.
I haven't died yet - I am too busy for such frivolities!
I did learn that apparently there is surprisingly affordable emergency dental care available in my city, though. I had intended to give 'em a ring and see what could be arranged today, but I had a lot on my plate and my plate is very small.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #142239 on: January 28, 2019, 01:17:35 pm »

Don't die my son

Tbh Tinder is kind of disgusting.

I'm skeptical about online datingmin general but Tinder seems particularily bad
What's the matter with it?

I haven't had any issues with it that wouldn't have happened if I'd met them IRL somehow. As with any method of dating, it has pros and cons, and you get out of it what you put into it. It's not a hookup app because of the app it's because hey, turns out lots of people want to fuck, and some of them are kind of assholes about it.

I've met lots of really nice people using the app, in fact all of my dates have been through Tinder. Currently working on another one right now with a cute writer guy

The cool thing about Tinder is it works based on your location, I actually matched with some random heterosexual dude who was in town for a day because he was hitchhiking across the country just to talk to him, dude gave me some Yoink vibes that was kind of cool heh. In fact there's lots of people on Tinder who I'm matched with who are in relationships but we made friends because we relate somehow, whether with art or music or w/e. If you just want people to hang out with I actually recommend it for that
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:25:53 pm by Parsely »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142240 on: January 28, 2019, 01:34:25 pm »

whats right with online dating
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #142241 on: January 28, 2019, 01:58:38 pm »

whats right with online dating
Lots. I can meet very specific kinds of people (queer people) without the anxiety and uncertainty of asking someone out IRL. Heterosexual people might even be offended just because you ask if they're gay. With online dating there's much more certainty with people's intent. Finding gay people IRL isn't easy unless you want to go to bars, school clubs are better but that's not an option for queer people who aren't students. A lot of trans people like online dating for the same reasons. This doesn't apply to me but some queer people don't want to be outed, and initiating dating IRL involves outing yourself, and for some people depending on their situation might not just be anxiety-inducing that is actually dangerous for them

Edit:
My hetero Christian relatives met at an online dating site, got married and have 2 kids. They are super happy and stable.

I think it's a tool that if used properly can be beneficial.
This^^
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:01:52 pm by Parsely »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142242 on: January 28, 2019, 02:01:19 pm »

My hetero Christian relatives met at an online dating site, got married and have 2 kids. They are super happy and stable.

I think it's a tool that if used properly can be beneficial.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142243 on: January 28, 2019, 02:10:03 pm »

My hetero Christian relatives met at an online dating site, got married and have 2 kids.
Ummmmmmm I really don't think the site should be matching folks to their relatives. O.o
...Wait, what state is this in?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142244 on: January 28, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »

My hetero Christian relatives met at an online dating site, got married and have 2 kids.
Ummmmmmm I really don't think the site should be matching folks to their relatives. O.o
...Wait, what state is this in?

I lol'd
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 9481 9482 [9483] 9484 9485 ... 11037