Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9434 9435 [9436] 9437 9438 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14539574 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141525 on: January 03, 2019, 01:36:21 pm »

It’s because fingerprint reading or the idea that “all fingerprints are unique” is a complete myth, not supported by any scientific research.
Not true. However it is very easy to fake a fingerprint, and there is no way to secure it.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, my opinion of biometric unlock is very low. Fingerprint readers are worse than useless, since they make you feel secure without actually providing any security.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:40:53 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141526 on: January 03, 2019, 01:57:07 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:27:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141527 on: January 03, 2019, 02:00:12 pm »

It’s because fingerprint reading or the idea that “all fingerprints are unique” is a complete myth, not supported by any scientific research.
Not true. However it is very easy to fake a fingerprint, and there is no way to secure it.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, my opinion of biometric unlock is very low. Fingerprint readers are worse than useless, since they make you feel secure without actually providing any security.

I meant to say "fingerprint authentication," not "fingerprint reading." Additionally, I'm rather certain the statement that "all fingerprint are unique" has never been actually verified by a scientific study.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141528 on: January 03, 2019, 02:22:30 pm »

The exact word in this case was actually "mohamedere", which would mean either "those people who are individually all called Mohamed" or "those people who perform the action called 'Mohamed'".

The context being that he has lots of different kinds of people he talks to (including the aforementioned Mohamedites), and he reads the bible for true because he looks at all the different translations of "BELIEVE and ye shall receive ETERNAL life". By the way, if anyone wanted to know which faith most purely and accurately follows the teachings of the bible, it's Jehovah's Witnesses. Now you know. He's checked.

10/10 would crack open a koolaid with him.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141529 on: January 03, 2019, 02:22:53 pm »

Additionally, I'm rather certain the statement that "all fingerprint are unique" has never been actually verified by a scientific study.

What makes you so sure?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #141530 on: January 03, 2019, 02:26:00 pm »

The context being that he has lots of different kinds of people he talks to (including the aforementioned Mohamedites), and he reads the bible for true because he looks at all the different translations of "BELIEVE and ye shall receive ETERNAL life". By the way, if anyone wanted to know which faith most purely and accurately follows the teachings of the bible, it's Jehovah's Witnesses. Now you know. He's checked.

Ooooh, that's new.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141531 on: January 03, 2019, 02:44:42 pm »

TBF Mein Kampf is complete gibberish: imagine some crazy fellow ranting like his life depends on it while a visually impaired dude is trying to keep up and write everything down.

For the first half I was half-entertaining the fantasy that Hitler might not have been at the time such a literal Hitler after all, reading of his account of being an orphan and workingman (without being sure of how much license he took with the details). Definitely not somebody I'd share a wienerschnitzel with -- and the red flags were popping up like schuhplattlers -- but also not the completely unsympathetic arch-fascist one might expect. In the second half however, he truly Hitlers things up in the expected fashion, and I didn't have the constitution to finish reading.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141532 on: January 03, 2019, 02:52:50 pm »

Today in Brief Reviews, Mein Kampf:
Not sure if Hitler... aaand Hitler.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141533 on: January 03, 2019, 02:53:47 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:26:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141534 on: January 03, 2019, 03:55:20 pm »

You have their number? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141535 on: January 03, 2019, 04:57:59 pm »

TBF Mein Kampf is complete gibberish: imagine some crazy fellow ranting like his life depends on it while a visually impaired dude is trying to keep up and write everything down.

For the first half I was half-entertaining the fantasy that Hitler might not have been at the time such a literal Hitler after all, reading of his account of being an orphan and workingman (without being sure of how much license he took with the details). Definitely not somebody I'd share a wienerschnitzel with -- and the red flags were popping up like schuhplattlers -- but also not the completely unsympathetic arch-fascist one might expect. In the second half however, he truly Hitlers things up in the expected fashion, and I didn't have the constitution to finish reading.

I mean. His dog loved him. And most people who knew him before the whole dictator thing basically describe him as Michael Scott from the Office USA. Kinda doofy, nice enough guy, charismatic in a goofy way. Secretly wants to exterminate anyone he's racist towards. He's Hitler yes. But human too.

... Now I'm imagining Michael Scott as an arch-fascist genocidal dictator. Not much changes.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #141536 on: January 03, 2019, 06:07:39 pm »

I recall reading that many, if not most dictators are actually quite likeable on a personal level. That's how they got to be dictators in the first place. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141537 on: January 03, 2019, 06:24:28 pm »

And now I've encountered someone that thinks that England did Ireland a load of good. Not some good with some bad, literally only good.

It may seem too obvious, but... mention the Potato Famine?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141538 on: January 03, 2019, 06:30:52 pm »

Eh, you're on shaky ground there. The English didn't cause the Potato Famine, so it's a matter of them not doing as much good as they could have, not of them doing bad.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141539 on: January 03, 2019, 07:05:47 pm »

I was gonna say, did the english kill all the potatoes?
Pages: 1 ... 9434 9435 [9436] 9437 9438 ... 11037