Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9407 9408 [9409] 9410 9411 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549293 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141120 on: December 16, 2018, 02:39:50 pm »

Or content in general, really.

Quote from: Christopher Walken, asked about the infamous 'More Cowbell' skit
You never know what people will talk about. I’ve made so many movies, movies that I’ve never even seen. It’s just as hard to make a movie that doesn’t succeed as it is to make one that does. Things just happen a little mysteriously.

I'm sure I remember reading a much better quote from him on the subject years ago, but I can't find it now. Dang.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141121 on: December 16, 2018, 09:11:12 pm »

Ok, I am now officially having the worst tech problems with my pc.

In short: whenever I play a game, any game, the pc freezes up completely. Sometimes with a reboot. Just games. Videos are fine.

I thought it was the power source. Bought another... it wasn't that (fortunately it was an upgrade and the old one is good and I can sell it to get some of the cash back). So I thought it was broken drivers. Uninstalled them, reinstalled them. No dice. Did a full windows reinstall. Still having issues. So I decided it was either my RAM or my video card (which I bought 9 months ago). Today I discovered it's not my GPU nor my HDDs. It's not overheating or issues with my home's electricity or with the cables (In short, I got someone to get their pc here, plugged in my video card and it went fine. Plugged in my HDDs, went fine.).

So it's either the motherboard (I hope not, it's newer than the GPU), the CPU (could be, it's the oldest component in the rig), or the RAM. Or it could be cursed, I guess.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141122 on: December 16, 2018, 10:21:21 pm »

Run memtest86+ for 24h. If there is a dodgey ram module, it will tell you.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141123 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:48 am »

Could it be some specific GPU feature that your games use that causes the crash?

Try running Dwarf Fortress. That probably uses the most barebones GPU functionality, if any at all.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141124 on: December 17, 2018, 04:20:27 am »

Have you tried Fire?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141125 on: December 17, 2018, 06:03:42 am »

Teneb, are these full-screen games you're launching, or windowed ones? I'd look for a problem there related to your GPU if it's crashing on fullscreen applications; maybe Windows thinks there's an extra display device or something, or you have some extra overlay program (steam?, Nvidia Shadowplay?) that's gone amok.
Either. Doesn't matter. The reason I ruled out it being the GPU was me being able to play for around 20 minutes with the same GPU on another setup, but the same game locked up immediately once on my own machine.

Seems like RAM bullshit. Which would be unfortunate since it'd mean both my RAM cards are faulty (I've checked each separately, still locks up). Gotta set some time aside and run memtest.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141126 on: December 17, 2018, 06:06:11 am »

I would, in fact, be fired if I did.
Praise the sun eh wot?

I'm not really sure where to even post this... I got irritated with the Facebook post citing that "article" I linked earlier, and said a few words as to the veracity (or lack thereof) of the article's claims. The post is still up and has garnered a few likes and "wow" smileys, but nobody seems to be paying much attention to the "ackshually..." comment right beneath it. TL;DR, I suppose.

What's entertaining about this is that her husband posted something else shortly after... Linking a 5-6 minute long almost-beat-poetry-except-no-beat-and-no-poetry video by some Facebook guru who "wants wisdom to go viral" and "was once a monk". The video was basically just a more drawn-out and dramatized version of the "young = time + energy - money, adult = energy + money - time, etc" meme, which I'm pretty sure has been in circulation longer than the grandpa who linked the damn thing.

The video added a feel-goodism at the end about how the one thing you can always have and keep with you is the impression you make on others. Well, yeah... If you have the time, energy, and money to hang out with your friends. But somehow those elements aren't involved in interacting with people.

And y'know, I see stuff like that a lot... I personally hate meaningless platitudes, especially if someone's made a career out of spewing them in a self-important fashion, but whatever. Lots of folks like the things, might as well leave them to it.

What I didn't manage to leave alone, however, was the fact that a while after posting it, he commented on his own link with just "37 million views...". 37 million views what? Is 37 million views somehow an affirmation of the message's truthiness (oh god, Google? Google, don't tell me the spellchecker is just going to be okay with that. Google.) and applicability? Are we going to have the "popularity =/= quality" conversation again? Are you just reverentially checkpointing this nugget of absolute wisdom's journey as it spreads through the as-yet-unenlightened masses?

So I replied with "Yeah, but did you know that Despacito has 5.7 billion views?"

That post got deleted.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141127 on: December 17, 2018, 06:10:23 am »

Oh my gosh that's why I am having such a difficult time communicating with these people: they are all extremely baked!
I thought my already poor social skills had suddenly and inexplicably degraded to the point of being basically an alien or something. Those silences were awkward, but not through any fault of mine! Well, probably not. I am still pretty awkward in general. But in this scenario, my awkwardness probably became the height of comedy. The stupid shit I said probably even seemed clever. Hooray!   

Seriously though, that was a surprisingly huge surge of relief when I realised WTF was going on. Gosh. I was even planning to post this in the "things that made you RELIEVED today" thread but I could not find it if such a thing ever even existed.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141128 on: December 17, 2018, 06:13:57 am »

-snipperino-
I tried searching for the post you referenced linking earlier and couldn't find anything.

But you should chill, for by doing that you become chill. Meditate on this.

EDIT: "3 views..."
(give me money, and you shall not be blessed)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141129 on: December 17, 2018, 06:46:56 am »

-snipperino-
I tried searching for the post you referenced linking earlier and couldn't find anything.

This 'un:
What the fuck did I just read.

So, yeah. Her take on the article was "This is very interesting. Depression is often a reaction to something that is happening or has happened to you. Anti drpressants are not always the answer, but just cover it up. It’s more effective and life-changing to face the issue and find some resolution", which irked me somewhat.

And for the bonus round, here's the motivational vidyer. On YouTube it's only got 329k views though, so I guess he's less profound when you can't react to him with a "wow" smiley.

Now excuse me while I dig up that Chopra quote generator again... I'd completely forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #141130 on: December 17, 2018, 07:32:17 am »

Irked indeed. Terrible advice for the folks that aren't part of that nebulously claimed "often". Often enough, it's not a cover up, it's a gorram chemical imbalance and the only resolution that's going to do sod all is psychoactives. Nonexistent gods know it's hard enough for people dealing with that shit to get themselves to do what's needed without yet another fucker babbling about non-pharmaceutical life changes.

... any case, truthiness getting through spellchecker. Blame... whoever that was. One of the recent-ish (i.e. within my lifetime) political comedian/commenters I've forgotten the name of used it a fair bit. Apparently it caught on, to some degree.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141131 on: December 17, 2018, 07:40:16 am »

-snipperino-

This 'un:

So, yeah. Her take on the article was "This is very interesting. Depression is often a reaction to something that is happening or has happened to you. Anti drpressants are not always the answer, but just cover it up. It’s more effective and life-changing to face the issue and find some resolution", which irked me somewhat.

And for the bonus round, here's the motivational vidyer. On YouTube it's only got 329k views though, so I guess he's less profound when you can't react to him with a "wow" smiley.

Now excuse me while I dig up that Chopra quote generator again... I'd completely forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me.
Ah so basically like what the writers of the game We Happy Few were going on about. People should be giving me their clicks instead of feeding these folks and their bovine fecal matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141132 on: December 17, 2018, 07:42:07 am »

... any case, truthiness getting through spellchecker. Blame... whoever that was. One of the recent-ish (i.e. within my lifetime) political comedian/commenters I've forgotten the name of used it a fair bit. Apparently it caught on, to some degree.

"Truthiness" would most likely be Stephen Colbert, assuming he didn't steal it from someone else.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141133 on: December 17, 2018, 10:46:33 am »

-snipperino-

This 'un:

Ah so basically like what the writers of the game We Happy Few were going on about. People should be giving me their clicks instead of feeding these folks and their bovine fecal matter.

Shame the creators of the game had to go out of the way to confirm that. If it weren’t the word of god, I would have just assumed that joy was a reference to the drug “soma” from Brave New World. For those who don’t know, that one was more about what would happen if they created a narcotic that didn’t eventually kill you, rather than an anti-antidepressant psa.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141134 on: December 17, 2018, 11:22:49 am »

I honestly haven't kept up with We Happy Few since the gold release had its incredible faceplant into the mud. So apparently antidepressants make people into homicidal zombies now? Mmkay.
Pages: 1 ... 9407 9408 [9409] 9410 9411 ... 11038