Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8810 8811 [8812] 8813 8814 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526356 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132165 on: March 29, 2018, 05:48:18 pm »

The actual answer is the point of the test is to point out a glaring disparity in gender roles/writing in hollywood. It's not supposed to be some big end-all be-all of 'good' it's intent is to demonstrate how writing of female characters is usually completely dominated by talking about men (and especially the male lead).

It's a comparison test. Most hollywood movies would pass a reverse-Bechdel test where the men in the movie have conversations are not about women. At least at the time that it was created, the majority of hollywood movies could not pass the Bechdel test.

Functionally, it's more of a rule of thumb. If your movie cannot pass this test, maybe you need to reevaluate your female characters and what they do in the movie.

It says nothing about the inherent quality of the movie, nor does a movie failing the test on its own mean anything necessarily. But it is a useful metric for movies taken as an aggregate.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132166 on: March 29, 2018, 06:42:49 pm »

What he said.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132167 on: March 30, 2018, 12:39:14 am »

The "cabbage discussion" thread. What even is this
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132168 on: March 30, 2018, 12:49:15 am »

Discussion of cabbage and nothing else.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #132169 on: March 30, 2018, 07:08:17 am »

The Bechtel Test also increases in relevance the more movies it is applied to. If you just take one single movie the test is almost insignificant. But if you widen the comparison group to fifty or a hundred films and 9/10s of them fails you've got yourself a very discernable pattern.
Love, scriver~

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132170 on: March 30, 2018, 11:01:08 am »

We had a gas leak at work today. Fortunately, what caused it happened in front of most of us, so we weren't really caught off guard, and our secretary is coincidentally the fire chief.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132171 on: March 30, 2018, 11:04:51 am »

The Bechtel Test also increases in relevance the more movies it is applied to. If you just take one single movie the test is almost insignificant. But if you widen the comparison group to fifty or a hundred films and 9/10s of them fails you've got yourself a very discernable pattern.

Perhaps there should be a Bechdel Test Test as a measure of someone's statistical fluency.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132172 on: March 30, 2018, 11:06:47 am »

We had a gas leak at work today. Fortunately, what caused it happened in front of most of us, so we weren't really caught off guard, and our secretary is coincidentally the fire chief.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132173 on: March 30, 2018, 11:14:04 am »

Haha, well what happened was someone was trying to use a forklift right under the gas main pipes. He didn't see the pipes and when he went up, the pipes came up too, and bounced back so severely that they ruptured. Sounded like a gunshot lol

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132174 on: March 30, 2018, 11:19:03 am »

Lol Wage Garnishing is !!Fun!!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132175 on: March 30, 2018, 03:46:11 pm »

Yes it is.

No its not

Today has been quite busy. Like nonstop customers, and when im not doing that im writing up labels for the automotive products, which apparently nobody else is capable of doing. Theyre all almost totally computer-illiterate for one thing.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132176 on: March 30, 2018, 04:14:48 pm »

Someone found a sweater with a security device still attached; one of those ones riveted into the cloth you need a special device to remove. Not uncommon, but we don't have the thing to remove it, so we just toss them since we can't sell them with the security device attached. No biggie.

...Until someone had the idea of applying fire to it, followed by the manager doing some weird trick with a bunch of rubber bands. While this did in fact remove the security device and we(presumably) put it out for sale, it's absolutely terrifying that someone would try to do that in a building filled with thousands of potential flammables.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132177 on: March 30, 2018, 06:06:06 pm »

Landlady was snooping around our apartment with something like four other people. Claimed no-one was there. Then claimed she just needed to use the oven. Then claimed there was a fire, so she brought some friends to check the alarms. Which is easily false, since the alarm is above our camera.

She kept coming and going, leaving people we didn't even know to nose about unsupervised, and we had to yell at her to go back and close our door after she finally realized we were watching her and ushered everyone out.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132178 on: March 30, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »

Beware of impending buyouts?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132179 on: March 30, 2018, 09:50:40 pm »

Here in Australia what she was doing would most definitely be illegal.

My WTF: I woke up, lay there a moment trying to remember the interesting, enjoyable dream I was sure I'd been having, and then feel back asleep and had another dream that I assume was entirely unrelated.

In other news, I am half asleep and can't shake the nagging feeling that that last paragraph was riddled with grammatical errors... time to have the first sip of the coffee I just made, I suppose.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 8810 8811 [8812] 8813 8814 ... 11037