Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8708 8709 [8710] 8711 8712 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545002 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130635 on: February 05, 2018, 01:00:39 am »

The truly hilarious part, is that Disney is the freaking poster child for lobbying for extensions to copyright terms.

Somebody needs to bring these things up the next time they lobby congress for another extension. (EG, the blatant hypocrisy of demanding yet another extension on copyright, when they shamelessly lift techniques and subject matter from properties that are protected under current rules, then violently defend their clearly illegally produced works via copyright. I would pay handsomely to see the governments of the world order Disney to pay several decades of reparations, lose protected status of several of their "signature" works, and get stuck with a government compliance officer the next time they lobby for an extension to copyright. Hell, I would buy champaign.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130636 on: February 05, 2018, 01:09:37 am »

Or at least see Mickey Mouse finally lapse into public domain - the joke being that their lawyers have consistently extended copyright length just enough to keep Mickey D under their control.
Funny how "grandfathering", AKA existing cases being exempt from new laws, doesn't apply here :P

Not that losing that IP will actually hurt them a lot.  But they care overly much, so it'd be nice in a spiteful way.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #130637 on: February 05, 2018, 01:10:50 am »

Yeah... I respect people's right to get whatever fulfillment it is they get from watching other people play a game.  But I reserve the right to judge the demographic that gets so worked up over a game that they'll create a larger disturbance in celebration of a win than oppressed populations do when protesting civil rights violations.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130638 on: February 05, 2018, 01:11:23 am »

Re: Redline vs Disney Motorcity. The other weird thing is that the pumping beat music on the Motorcity review is nearly indistinguishable to the main pumping beat music used in Redline for the film's opening race sequence. The Motorcity reviewer doesn't seem to have even heard of Redline, so I can only assume that's the music used in Motorcity. e.g. they even ripped off what the soundtrack sounds like.

Again, there's nothing wrong with being influenced by things, but Disney are a monster evil corporation who steal everything, regurgitating family-friendly versions of whatever they take in, then tend to get all litigious on yer ass for being similar to them even though you were doing it first. So, there's a context-free argument about whether borrowing or strong influences are appropriate (they are) but then there's the issue with the extent to which Disney does this, along with them using their great wealth to influence politicians and their legal department's clout.

Check out for example, the Motorcity shot at 3:50 here vs basically the same shot used in Redline here (example 1) and here (example 2). When both cars hit turbo (a lime green trans am thing with racing stripes vs a yellow trans am thing with racing stripes), there's a series of explosions out the back, the cars jump vertically off the ground, bounce back and forth a bit between front and rear wheels, to build tension, before exploding forward with massive momentum. That's ... completely not how hitting nitro on a real car works, it's something concocted out of thin air for Redline.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:39:50 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130639 on: February 05, 2018, 02:22:15 am »

I seem to remember The Lion King being pretty good, but Robin Hood is really the be-all and end-all of Disney films. <3

@Pisskop: hope you're okay and not too shook up, dude.

In other news, I... can't remember wtf my wtf was. Was I meant to be replying to something from earlier in the thread? I dunno. Oh well.
I guess I could post about my upcoming birthday, but that's more of a Sad or Terrified, really.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130640 on: February 05, 2018, 03:01:49 am »

Robin hood? Never seen it.
That's the one with the fox in a hat right?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130641 on: February 05, 2018, 03:04:30 am »

It's hilarious, that's what it is.

Sword in the Stone is a close second on the campy meter though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #130642 on: February 05, 2018, 04:05:27 am »

I keep finding live crickets in my bedding. Like bundled up in my sheets and shit. Where the fuck are they coming from
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130643 on: February 05, 2018, 04:08:07 am »

They are attracted to your body oils, and the cotton bed sheets.  Also, they might be too dry, and seeking moisture.

They are likely coming from your crawl space, and or-- your vents.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130644 on: February 05, 2018, 04:21:59 am »

snip
The quoted bit from the article specifically talks about modern cannons also employing muzzle brakes redirecting some of the gas rearwards. Yet, you react as if it said that all cannons had muzzle brakes redirecting all of the gas rearwards. I.e. you're just not understanding what was written.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130645 on: February 05, 2018, 05:04:39 am »

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I don't want there to be any bad blood between us, so I hope this is an adequate explanation of my side of the issue.
Yer all good with me.  You went into actual research and sources, while all I remember was a vague drawing my dad made once to explain how tanks worked to us kiddies (he used to be a vehicle mechanic in the army and he was explaining what he did to us sprouts).  And I remember seeing an image somewhat recently (it may have been that last one you linked) that had the brake swept backwards.

You have corrected a misconception I had about how they worked, that vague drawing only half remembered, the image with the angled backwards venting, and  just my own mental logic caused me to connect things together and treat them as fact incorrectly.  Sorry bout the bad info. :)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130646 on: February 05, 2018, 05:29:29 am »

Robin hood? Never seen it.
That's the one with the fox in a hat right?
Man, I feel for you - what kind of childhood did you have?  :-\
Watch it ASAP. You at least saw The Land Before Time as a little one, right? The Sword In the Stone is also good, although it doesn't seem to be quite as pervasively embedded in my childhood memories. I'm sure re-watching it now, for the first time in years, would be a powerful hit of nostalgia, though. The Land Before Time certainly was when I watched it about a month ago, holy macaroni.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #130647 on: February 05, 2018, 06:45:02 am »

All that Disney talk, and nobody's suggesting Emperor's New Groove. That one was my childhood.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130648 on: February 05, 2018, 06:54:24 am »

idk, I sort of view post-pixar Disney 2D as a zombie corpse haltingly shambling along until it eventually decays to nothingness.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:58:59 am by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #130649 on: February 05, 2018, 09:18:37 am »

idk, I sort of view post-pixar Disney 2D as a zombie corpse haltingly shambling along until it eventually decays to nothingness.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only CGI.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 8708 8709 [8710] 8711 8712 ... 11037