Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8654 8655 [8656] 8657 8658 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520448 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129825 on: January 06, 2018, 10:09:15 pm »

It was unintended.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000903299/Can-t-Miss-Play-Mariota-Magic-Titans-QB-throws-and-CATCHES-his-own-TD-pass

Mariota passed under pressure, the ball was deflected back toward him, he had the presense of mind to catch it and run in for the TD. Damn lucky, but you have to be good to pull it off even with luck.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #129826 on: January 06, 2018, 11:08:38 pm »

Brett Favre’s first completed pass in the NFL was to himself.

Selfish bastard.

/pointless tangential aside

Playoffs aren’t interesting without the Packers. Least not ‘til February...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129827 on: January 06, 2018, 11:37:49 pm »

One manager on duty is pressing me to upsell folks on a charity thing shoebox, a thing where someone can pay an extra 50 cents on their purchase and we'll send some peanuts or sunflower seeds to troops overseas.

At that manager's instruction I set up the display, for it.  Looks good, and even set up a little mini display with all the different flavors of peanuts and sunflower seeds at the register on my own,  so that the cashier could even ask if the customer wanted to send a particular flavor (you know on the off chance they have friends or family overseas and want to send their favorite).  I sold an entire box full Friday, as I let all of our regulars know of the charity.

Today I'm pushing it less often, I refuse to ask people immediately again who I know donated just a few days ago.  And I still manage to sell an entire box full of them.  But because that manager isn't hearing me ask it to every single customer (even ones she knows I convinced to do multiple) she's threatening me with a write up for insubordination.   We sold 2 boxes of those peanuts and sunflower seeds in the last 3 days... that includes the 2 boxes I already mentioned I sold.  ...so I'm the only one selling them at all.  Yet I'm the only one being threatened with a writeup because I refuse to bother people who already donated again.

WTF Retail.

P.S. When I mentioned my reasoning to her, that I don't want to bother people who already donated, she informed me that those are the people I should be pushing harder.  Because if they gave once they'll not be able to resist giving again.  Basically the main reason I will not donate to any charities unless I can do it anonymously.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:47:19 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #129828 on: January 07, 2018, 12:18:18 am »

The color "smaragdine"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129829 on: January 07, 2018, 12:55:14 am »

The fact that "smaragdus" is the root word of "emerald"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129830 on: January 07, 2018, 01:08:54 am »

The fact that "smaragdus" is the root word of "emerald"

Emerald is more like the corruption of that word than the root. Though it's root in ancestry.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129831 on: January 07, 2018, 02:01:26 am »

I think the idea of whether one word is an "evolution" of the original root or a "corruption" would be entirely subjective. You can get from one to the other with only a few letter substitutions, and there's no really objective way to say that some letter substitutions are valid evolution of the word, while others are not.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129832 on: January 07, 2018, 05:17:01 am »

Had a debate with my cousin about whether microwaves cause cancer or not (she said yes, I said no). Unfortunately, she brought up terminology I never heard of before (specifically, primary and secondary radiation, and partial and chronic radiation) and I wasn't able to argue with her anymore because I didn't have the knowledge to call bullshit on the points she was making with those terms.

In preparation for next time I decided to look up those terms (no way am I going to lose a debate to someone who believes microwaves cause cancer), but unfortunately the only things I found were incredibly dense scientific literature that gave me more than I was asking for (what the hell are muons and mesons?), or vague things that didn't give me enough information (k, so secondary radiation is caused by particles emitting their own radiation due to interactions with primary radiation. What is the mechanism behind it then? Is a proton being ejected or is something else happening?).

What makes this situation such a wtf is that someone who is dumb enough to believe microwaves cause cancer has somehow become more knowledgeable about radiation than I am.

FAKE EDIT: So I decided to do further research on microwaves and cancer and I learned some new things. Apparently, it doesn't matter if microwaves count as ionizing radiation or not. You could zap your meal with high energy gamma rays and it would not kill you if you ate it. The only way to turn something permanently radioactive is by manually mixing in some radioactive isotopes (such as polonium nuclei). Despite the lack of a fear of radiation poisoning though, there are a number of reasons why you still don't do this  (besides the fact that most microwave ovens leak a tiny amount of their radiation).

1. Power consumption. Smaller wavelengths have more energy in them, which means more electricity is required to produce them. 5 minutes of constantly emitting to gamma rays hurts your electricity bill a lot more than 5 minutes of constantly emitting microwaves. You may think that gamma rays might lead to a shorter cooking time which might off set the cost, but...

2. You won't cook the food thoroughly. If you've ever used a mobile phone indoors, you are likely aware of the fact that low-frequency radiowaves can pass through walls. Penetration is unfortunately a very complex topic when it comes to electromagnetic radiation, but as far as the subject of cooking is concerned the only thing you need to know is that microwaves pass through food too. Certain higher frequency wavelengths such as ultraviolet do not penetrate food as well due to the properties of the materials the food is made from. From my limited research, it seems that gamma rays in particular are amazing at penetrating everything so they likely aren't affected by this caveat, but I will explain it anyway.

Microwave ovens do not actually heat food by directly zapping it with photons. Instead, they rely on a phenomenon called dielectric heating. To use a simple analogy, imagine a a row of compass needles next to a conveyor belt filled with magnets. As the first magnet approaches, the first needle rotates to face the magnet and follows it as it travels along the belt. Eventually the magnet gets too far away from the first needle to affect it, so the first needle rotates again to face the next magnet that is traveling along the belt while the next needle rotates to face the first magnet now that it's close enough. Repeat this until the movement of the needles generates enough kinetic energy to cook the entire meal.

Now for the more technical explanation. If you study advanced chemistry, you will know that polar molecules (such as water) have a charge. As an Electromagnetic wave oscillates, the polar molecules align themselves with the wave and follow it. Because the wave is constantly moving, the particles end up moving too and as a basic thermodynamics knowledge will tell you, kinetic energy equals heat! This is also why wet foods tend to turn out better when heated in a microwave, they are more susceptible to this effect.

So what's wrong with a wavelength that doesn't penetrate food well? In that case, what will happen is that the wave won't reach the inside of the food. To go back to the conveyor belt analogy, it would be comparable to there being a break somewhere along the way. Needles that are closer to the beginning of the conveyor belt still receive magnets so they produce heat, but not the ones further down since the magnets had at that point fallen off the belt. This ends up producing an effect similar to speeding up the cooking of a 10 minute meal at 450F, by increasing the oven temperature to 900F and waiting only 5 minutes.

3. Ionizing radiation changes the chemical formula of food. With the addition of high energy photons that are capable of ripping apart molecular bonds comes some complications. When molecules are broken in such a manner the fragments tend to have a habit of recombining. They do not always return to their original form though and you can end up with brand new compounds that weren't originally in your food. This will inevitably change the taste and you will lose a lot of nutrition as proteins and amino acids are broken apart and vitamins get destroyed. Perhaps if you had the perfect storm of components, you could accidentally create something lethal, but in that case it's more likely that whatever you zapped wasn't edible in the first place.

Despite all of these drawbacks though, people still use high frequency electromagnetic waves to treat objects. Medical tools are often sterilized by gamma rays, and despite what I said a moment ago, people still irradiate food (usually to preserve it).

FAKE EDIT2: WTF! I can't believe I stayed up till 5 AM to write that first edit. For the record, that means it took me 6 hours for me to do my research and compile this in this post. Anyway, I hope you enjoy. My cousin may still know more about radiation in general than me, but at least I'm now an expert on radiation and how it relates to microwaves.

EDIT 3: Crap! A lot of the information here is a misrepresentation (A class 2B carcinogen basically means "we haven't researched this enough yet, it might be bad, it might be not"), but there are still some points that I need to cross examine (the link between magnetism and leukemia for example). I have a lot of work to do tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:26:19 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129833 on: January 07, 2018, 05:54:36 am »

In preparation for next time I decided to look up those terms (no way am I going to lose a debate to someone who believes microwaves cause cancer), but unfortunately the only things I found were incredibly dense scientific literature that gave me more than I was asking for (what the hell are muons and mesons?), or vague things that didn't give me enough information (k, so secondary radiation is caused by particles emitting their own radiation due to interactions with primary radiation. What is the mechanism behind it then? Is a proton being ejected or is something else happening?).

You need to clear up your terminology and understanding. "Protons" aren't being emitted, because that would be transmutation of elements. Protons are in the nucleus of the atom.

Secondary radiation is when matter (e.g. electrons) absorbs some energy, then releases that energy. Note however that the energy released is at lower frequencies / longer wavelengths than the original energy. e.g. a real-world example is electromagnetic energy from fire - the electromagnetic light from a fire is absorbed by e.g. a rock. The rock then radiates that energy away as infrared energy - a lower frequency than it absorbed. For the rock to actually glow like a fire, you need really extreme amounts of energy hitting it, far more than an energy source that is itself "glowing".

Think about how fire works. You're warmed by a fire even if there's no air movement between you and the fire. It's not the air that transmits the heat, it's electromagnetic radiation. That fire is energizing all your particles via radiation, which are then re-releasing all that energy as "secondary radiation". The fact is, fireplaces release higher frequency energy than a microwave does, therefore they cause secondary radiation of all the lower frequencies too. And none of the conspiracy theorists ever claim you'll get cancer from sitting near an open fireplace, why is that?

Visible light has far higher frequencies than microwaves do, and because of "secondary radiation" all visible light sources that warm you, or fires etc, all produce microwaves as secondary radiation.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:04:31 am by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129834 on: January 07, 2018, 06:06:25 am »

Other things I've noticed:
- Ionising radiation liberates electrons from atoms (i.e. produces ions), which then can cause molecules to break apart. Just the breaking of molecules can be done by non-ionising radiation too (see photolysis)
- Alpha radiation is not emission of protons, but helium nuclei (2p, 2n)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129835 on: January 07, 2018, 06:28:58 am »

It was my misfortune to be exposed to the thing that is "Ready Player One" today (video, well worth watching),  because the atrocity is getting a movie soon. I'm glad this is something I missed.

Basically, it sounds like the American version of "Sword Art Online" except ... as utterly shitty as Sword Art Online is, it's about 1000 times more coherent than whatever Ready Player One is meant to be. For example, he spends 10 pages of the book just having the protagonist list off how knowledgeable he is of 1980s TV shows and movies, and it's not even insightful references, much of it consists of nothing except a long list of shows.

It more or less sounds like a novel written by Fat Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, about the adventures of a fat guy who runs a comic book store, focusing much of the dialogue to merely listing the titles of comic books, as if that's supposed to show off how cool and informed the protagonist is.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:36:09 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #129836 on: January 07, 2018, 08:41:04 am »

It was my misfortune to be exposed to the thing that is "Ready Player One" today (video, well worth watching),  because the atrocity is getting a movie soon. I'm glad this is something I missed.

Basically, it sounds like the American version of "Sword Art Online" except ... as utterly shitty as Sword Art Online is, it's about 1000 times more coherent than whatever Ready Player One is meant to be. For example, he spends 10 pages of the book just having the protagonist list off how knowledgeable he is of 1980s TV shows and movies, and it's not even insightful references, much of it consists of nothing except a long list of shows.

It more or less sounds like a novel written by Fat Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, about the adventures of a fat guy who runs a comic book store, focusing much of the dialogue to merely listing the titles of comic books, as if that's supposed to show off how cool and informed the protagonist is.
dude REFERENCES LMAO

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #129837 on: January 07, 2018, 09:10:09 am »

One of my friends is enjoying it, and she normally has reasonable taste. It's not a literary masterpiece or anything, but apparently it's fun.

I guess I'm just sick of all the constant negativity towards everything I'm seeing recently. If something is popular and it's not literally the breath of God Himself, someone will be willing to blast it and say liking it makes you a terrible person. It's tiresome. Let people like things if they want to.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #129838 on: January 07, 2018, 09:12:00 am »

One of my friends is enjoying it, and she normally has reasonable taste. It's not a literary masterpiece or anything, but apparently it's fun.

I guess I'm just sick of all the constant negativity towards everything I'm seeing recently. If something is popular and it's not literally the breath of God Himself, someone will be willing to blast it and say liking it makes you a terrible person. It's tiresome. Let people like things if they want to.
I am sick of the constant negativity towards every bit of negativity I'm seeing recently. If something is unpopular and people don't like it that's ok. There's no need to go on about how the world has conspired to have Russian haxors and elite illuminati baphomet masturbators brigade your reviews into the dirt. It is ok to dislike something, and that must always be

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #129839 on: January 07, 2018, 09:18:29 am »

Sure, if you like. People are welcome not to like things, I'm just tired of the elitist circlejerk that comes with it. Enjoy yourself, I guess.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 8654 8655 [8656] 8657 8658 ... 11037