Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8548 8549 [8550] 8551 8552 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526723 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128235 on: October 31, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »

I use RSS feeds for everything worth using an RSS feed for but I still have, let's see... 3343 tabs in this browser profile alone, and I have others that I use for other things.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128236 on: October 31, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »

If it's not worth remembering then it's probably a waste of your time tabbing over to it.

That just sounds like a complete waste of time managing that many tabs. You can only do linear search on tabs. If you look at each one for 2 seconds then it would take 1 hour on average to find a specific one to look at.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:00:08 pm by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #128237 on: October 31, 2017, 03:58:53 pm »

It's months mostly because stuff comes up and I don't get around to checking it out. Stuff like 3+ hour lectures or similar that you gotta find a good chunk of time to do properly. So it keeps getting pushed back on your to do list until you either do it or it gets lost like this.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128238 on: October 31, 2017, 04:00:34 pm »

Put the links in Trello. Then you can put the links in lists based on priority, or combine related links into the same card. Also, you can combine the links with notes, checklists, and it's accessible from all devices. Basically I have all my dev notes in Trello along with card which have all the movies and TV shows I want to watch someday in checklists.

Also, Trello is a real multi-user planning system actually used in business and software development, so you'd be learning an actually useful thing that is a job skill. Saying you can juggle having 3000 tabs open at once isn't a sellable skill.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:06:43 pm by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128239 on: October 31, 2017, 04:06:25 pm »

If it's not worth remembering then it's probably a waste of your time tabbing over to it.

That just sounds like a complete waste of time managing that many tabs. You can only do linear search on tabs. If you look at each one for 2 seconds then it would take 1 hour on average to find a specific one to look at.
This is why you look at the icons and titles of the tabs as you scroll through them. You don't need to click on each individual one to check its contents.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128240 on: October 31, 2017, 04:09:54 pm »

It's still pretty silly because it's linear and you can't nest things. Dragging things to the bookmark bar takes a split second, and they can be ordered into drop-down lists (I used nameless folders on the bookmarks toolbar for that). I can just click the folder open and look at 40 bookmarks in a list at once. That's the same as you scrolling past all your tabs, except I can just collapse entire lists at once. Linear search vs Tree search. I'm no more likely to "forget"  about things in the bookmarks lists than you are with the tabs. But it's way more efficient and you can back up the bookmarks.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128241 on: October 31, 2017, 04:12:59 pm »

I don't use a bookmark bar, and I also don't need to worry about linear search because I can remember where things are. I wouldn't recommend it for people without my weird memory, though.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128242 on: October 31, 2017, 04:15:31 pm »

Trust me however, if your entire record keeping system is based on having 3343 open tabs, that's seriously going to come back and bite you on the ass at some point. Not least of which would be if you ever decide you need to change browsers or your device / hard-drive dies. And if using an SSD you might think that it's not a big cost in speed, but it's certainly decreasing the lifespan of you drive, making that crisis much more likely / sooner.

it's like running a business, and your entire book-keeping system is crumpled receipts you keep in the footwell of your car.

however, if your memory is that good then by that logic, you shouldn't even need the tabs open, you can just recall what you need to open when you think it's worth looking at.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:18:52 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128243 on: October 31, 2017, 04:32:41 pm »

You people are insane, I rarely have more then a few tabs open at a time.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128244 on: October 31, 2017, 04:35:23 pm »

Trust me however, if your entire record keeping system is based on having 3343 open tabs, that's seriously going to come back and bite you on the ass at some point. Not least of which would be if you ever decide you need to change browsers or your device / hard-drive dies. And if using an SSD you might think that it's not a big cost in speed, but it's certainly decreasing the lifespan of you drive, making that crisis much more likely / sooner.
God no, I would never use an SSD. They fall apart too quickly.
however, if your memory is that good then by that logic, you shouldn't even need the tabs open, you can just recall what you need to open when you think it's worth looking at.
for some reason it doesn't work like that :|
I honestly have no idea why.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128245 on: October 31, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »

Another thing to remember is that if something is bookmarked, you only need to type a couple of letters of the address into the address-bar and it auto-completes it for you. That's how I open most things I'm looking for. Bay12 is just typing "b" and enter, done. Then I don't need to worry about managing history either, I can just clear that and still get hotkeys for things I want basically.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128246 on: October 31, 2017, 04:37:53 pm »

re: romance. The "SUDDEN GAY" phenomenon isn't because of "everyone must be gay to please PC! we must shoehorn!" it's because of poor writing; as others mentioned, sudden *sexuality* is the problem, where mere interest in *anyone* [that has a written romantic subplot] is taken automatically and immediately as the player wanting to board the train to pound town.

It merely has a poor reflection on the whole "PC" thing, when you couple it with an idea to not arbitrarily prevent a player from doing something they want; after all, the sexualities of a fictional character are inherently flexible, same as anything else about them, because they're *fictional,* so you can make it conform to the players actions with the only discrepancy being on subsequent playthroughs. (good, or at least good intentioned idea, in my view.)

*and no, i'm not saying *every* game has to have *every* character conform. If for no other reason than because that's a *lot* of writing for "could happens." Only that in an RPG with strong character interaction and romantic subplots, arbitrary restrictions based on the *fictional* sexuality of a *fictional character* [hyperbole] "crush [certain] players dreams," for no reason.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:39:49 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128247 on: October 31, 2017, 05:08:13 pm »

If its worth keeping around for months its probably worth bookmarking
But then I'd have to remember and find it later.
Keep it in a folder at the very far left of your browser bookmark toolbar, labeled "Tabs."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128248 on: October 31, 2017, 05:52:56 pm »

You people are insane, I rarely have more then a few tabs open at a time.
I have... (starts counting)
Either I counted wrong or I have 100 tabs.
Or at least 100 tabs, I stopped counting at 100.

Most of that is fanfic.

I may need to do some trimming, but it's all so good...
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 8548 8549 [8550] 8551 8552 ... 11037