Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8522 8523 [8524] 8525 8526 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14534670 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127845 on: October 21, 2017, 06:05:19 pm »

Technically its the same gif, so it only needs to be loaded once, right? But yeah adorable spam is still spam
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #127846 on: October 21, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »

Technically its the same gif, so it only needs to be loaded once, right? But yeah adorable spam is still spam
The problem is not loading images, it's that they break the page layout.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127847 on: October 21, 2017, 06:49:40 pm »

either the size for dwarf fortress minks are way too small or my centimeter to cubic centimeter converter is bad

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #127848 on: October 21, 2017, 08:58:36 pm »

Are you following the currently-running Something Awful LP of that? I ask because it just hit the reason for it to be mentioned here.

Actually it was Jesse Cox and Dodger, especially funny and fucked up because Dodger went ahead and voiced all of the girls (with Monika being a stereotypical russian). Also it didn't help that Jesse kinda figured the whole thing out an hour into it. Still, was damn fun and fucked up to follow.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #127849 on: October 21, 2017, 09:03:24 pm »

I haven't actually watched RWBY, but god damn that character is so cute.

RWBY's one of my favorite animated shows. It has happy moments, it has sad moments, and it has seriously badass moments that make you want to scream with delight. Just watch it and you'll love it!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127850 on: October 21, 2017, 11:02:54 pm »

RWBY is so goddamn awful. I despise it.
Ugliest animation I have ever seen, hands-down - it makes normal anime look good by comparison, and y'all know how much I dislike that stuff.
Well apart from that really trippy one with the psychiatrist who may or may not be a bear, Inaru's Office or whatever it's called.

In other news, the headlining band last night played just one or two of their songs before the singer's voice gave out - or, well, his voice had already been sounding wrong and he gave up on getting it to work - and they started playing fucking Slayer covers instead, with the bassist (who fronts another sweet local band who I've seen several times) taking over vocal duties to play a bunch of Slayer covers. Goddamn.

I'm not the biggest Slayer fan, but I love Reign In Blood and they played at least a couple of my favourite songs off there, and honestly the ones I didn't know sounded excellent as well.
Was amazing how well they nailed those classic Slayer-y screams. Probably the closest I'll ever come to seeing Slayer live, haha.

...Goddamn my neck is wrecked after that. Don't think I'll be doing shit today.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127851 on: October 21, 2017, 11:10:02 pm »

RWBY is an anime?
I thought it was western...
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #127852 on: October 21, 2017, 11:12:21 pm »

I've never seen it, but AFAIK it's like Avatar: The Last Airbender; it's a western show made to look like an anime.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127853 on: October 21, 2017, 11:18:27 pm »

If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
Don't be so xenophobic, anyone can create anime if they are wholly lacking in both artistic ability and taste, no matter their nationality. :) [/pseudo-empowerment]
Booze is Life for Yoink

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #127854 on: October 21, 2017, 11:27:30 pm »

It's anime enough it's selling in Japanese theaters in large amounts.

So yeah, is anime. Unless you want to be silly and picky, but even then.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127855 on: October 21, 2017, 11:34:18 pm »

There one good reason to limit the definition of anime however: it avoids subjective debates. Style can never be agreed upon. Nation of origin is easier to say "yes this is from Japan" or "no it isn't from Japan". It's still not perfect but it solves 99.99% of labeling disputes. And when you're past labeling disputes you can have actual conversations about the content.

If you divide "anime" vs "cartoon" as style then you'd have to apply the same standards to all japanese cartoons as well as all american cartoons. e.g. many "anime" from Japan would have to be labeled as a "Japanese cartoons" and not "anime", because they were made in the .e.g Disney style (Tezuka's works such as Unico) or Powerpuff Girls (Panty & Stocking) style. And that would be news to the Japanese. Shows would now be divided into a matrix of style vs origin:

- japanese "cartoons"
   - japanese "anime"
   - american "cartoons"
   - american "anime"

This is the logical outcome of using "anime style" as the definition, you now have to determine whether each Japanese thing qualifies for the style as well as American things. Which leads to the quixotic logical outcome that some Japanese cartoons must not be anime, after all. And ... who are the arbiters of whether things fit this "style"? They're not the Japanese, since they don't make this distinction at all. To a Japanese person Avatar, Simpsons, My Little Pony, Disney are all anime. The actual people who are making the "rules" separating "cartoon style" from "anime style" are in fact people who grew up on a specific group of shows that were popular in the West circa 1998-20XX. That's why things that look like Tezuka animes aren't being argued as "anime" whereas things that look like Dragonball are.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:47:39 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127856 on: October 21, 2017, 11:47:01 pm »

Until someone coins a term specifically for the low-quality art style that characterises basically every single work of anime ever, I will continue referring to any show that uses it as "anime".

Saying "those western animations with strong Japanese influences whose creators also can't draw for shit" is far too wordy. :))
I guess I could just start referring to all such animations as "weeb trash" (in fact, I often do when I am not trying to be nice), but that would doubtless upset people a lot more than referring to their US-made weeb trash as anime in the first place.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127857 on: October 21, 2017, 11:50:22 pm »

Have you seen, IDK, Mushishi or any other show like that or are you only conversant in the animes that typically get popular in the West? Which tend to be Japan's saturday morning cartoons btw, not the highly regarded ones.

Try Sakimachi no Appollon for example, which is a music anime, episode 1 has an awesome drumming scene. Never seen anything that cool in a Western cartoon.

The real issue is when most people say "it's shit" what they don't realize is that they actually mean "the stuff that my culture imports is prediminantly the worst shit". e.g. Japanese manga sales charts include all genres equally represented whether that's action, historical, sports, drama, romance, horror. Whereas in the West it's wall to wall dragonball knock-offs and "big-boob" sex mangas (they don't even appear in the top 50 mangas in Japan yet literally hit #1 in the nytimes manga sales). The west is selectively purchasing only the shittiest shit. And it's not that unpredictable, since the high-selling mangas in America resemble the high-selling comic books in America. All superpower bullshit basically. The manga sales in Japan don't look anything like that. A thoughtful drama manga is just as likely to be a top-seller as some action one, in Japan at least.

Personally I find even the better American 2D cartoons to look really crudely drawn compared to the best animes. Invader Zim is not great drawing skills.

e.g. show me something with a noir-style like Ergo Proxy or Psycho-Pass that's made in the West? Anything? I mean here's Gravity Falls:

I mean, I hear the writing is good, but the artstyle is rubbish if you're not a three year old. And compare that to something like Ergo Proxy (which isn't the best looking anime by a wide margin)

i'm going to stick with the latter and give the former a wide berth because I'm not a three-year old. Sure people can say that they artstyle in anime is crap, but what exactly are you saying is good then? I've put this questions to a number of people on different forums over the years and they never actually cough up any western series that has this supposed "good" cartoon art style.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:27:36 am by Reelya »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127858 on: October 22, 2017, 12:25:55 am »

Seeing as this's the first I'm hearing of it (in any appreciable amount), why do you hate anime so much, Yoink?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127859 on: October 22, 2017, 12:35:46 am »

It's usually explainable if you get them to name some example shows. If they're all from the same 1-2 subgenres then there's the issue.

I'll keep putting this out there: show me a western cartoon which doesn't look like kiddie stuff and I'll watch it. I like film noir / mystery / horror / sci-fi stuff by preference. I have plenty to pick from in that from Japan but ... about zero examples to pick from for the West for that stuff. There are also stuff like romantic comedies and modern slice of life stuff from Japan. Or stuff that mixes supernatural stuff with slice of life rather than with action (Natume Yuujinchou or Mushishi). Basically ... there are no example of comparable shows from the West, so if you like any of those genres you have to watch actual Japanese anime to get them. fuck avatar bullshit, the same way that I don't watch Dragonball, Pokemon, Naruto from Japan. Make better shows, America.

(the real problem is that any time America makes an adult-oriented cartoon it's always dick and fart joke related. e.g Drawn Together or Family Guy is what passed for adult-appropriate cartoons. Whereas in Japan you have series like Death Parade, Bartender, Ristarante Paradiso, Antique Bakery, Rakugo, Saraiya Goyou. Those are just on another plane of reality compared to what the West is providing for consumers).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:58:35 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8522 8523 [8524] 8525 8526 ... 11037