Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8428 8429 [8430] 8431 8432 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528438 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126435 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:24 pm »

How to check:

1. Go to settings

2. Click system

3. Click about

4. There should be some blue text that says something like "check my product key" or something, I don't remember very well. It should be the first blue text you see. Click it.

5. You now have a window telling you what edition of windows you own.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #126436 on: September 05, 2017, 12:55:24 pm »

Only if you don't understand it, peasant filth.
The more you understand mathematics the more you realize it's literally magic, though.

Statistics, in particular, is the art of quantifying the perturbations of fates to predict the future.

Honestly, I feel like most academic paper will sound like alchemy if you replace technical jargons with arcane codewords.
A physics major once told me that quantum physics was "basically magic."

It'd certainly sound arcane and 'basically magic' to those not familiar with it.
Judging from QM controversies I don't think ANYONE is familiar with it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #126437 on: September 05, 2017, 01:08:05 pm »

The more you understand mathematics the more you realize it's literally magic, though.

Statistics, in particular, is the art of quantifying the perturbations of fates to predict the future.

Honestly, I feel like most academic paper will sound like alchemy if you replace technical jargons with arcane codewords.
It'd certainly sound arcane and 'basically magic' to those not familiar with it.
No, but that was the thing! Ey was familiar with QM! (The basics, anyhow.) I think eir point was that QM followed its own utterly unintuitive rules.

Judging from QM controversies I don't think ANYONE is familiar with it.
I'd be the last person to say that QM is commonly fully understood like Newtonian mechanics is, but I feel like "nobody is familiar with QM" is a rather strong claim to make. I'm definitely not familiar with it, but I tried to learn QM several months ago, and I feel like I got a vague sense of weak familiarity with how the basic logic of QM works. So somebody who actually works with QM should probably have a decent chance of becoming familiar with its alien workings.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126438 on: September 05, 2017, 02:08:08 pm »

commonly fully understood like Newtonian mechanics is
HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahehe...he...
Good joke, good joke.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126439 on: September 05, 2017, 03:27:26 pm »

Arguably nobody's intuitively familiar with QM, simply because it's unintuitive and awkward for our monkey brains. We always want to use a not-quite-right metaphor or revert to hidden variable theory or something.

Then again, if somebody said they found it intuitive, you'd have a hard time proving them wrong.
One wheel short of a wagon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126440 on: September 05, 2017, 04:46:53 pm »

Lost three coworkers today. Two quit, one claiming he was tired of the manager's "bullshit" and that everyone was unhappy(lacking specifics), the other simply followed him without a word, no idea why.

The other was fired because he called out yesterday(Labor Day, our biggest sale day) claiming he "couldn't sleep the night before, I'm not coming in", and has apparently had a history of not coming in when he was supposed to. I know he's taken several days off at a time to go to some furrycon or MLP convention before, though I always assumed he had those scheduled off.

On top of that, garbage couldn't be taken out because the dumpster was full, and while there was supposed to be a pickup at 11-11:30, it didn't come until 2:30. Trash was just piling up throughout the day. On top of that, we had so much to deal with from yesterday's sale, that there was hardly any room to move in the back area. I've not had a good day. The only positive thing I can say is that it felt like it passed quickly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #126441 on: September 05, 2017, 06:15:29 pm »

I feel you there. Weekend was insanely busy here too, and our cooler and warehouse were alternating between overflowing with backstock and not enough of what we were selling in the greatest quantities. Meaning angry customers.

We had the asshole that literally fills the trash can by the deli entrance all on his own show up again. Again, nobody saw anything, and again, i got to pick up all the trash that was scattered across the ground and piled up under the cover for the can. Had to use a second bag to hold the overflow. This guy literally is the reason the cover flap for that can broke, because he stuffed it so tightly the hinge snapped. We never catch the bastard and management wont look at the camera footage, but i know its one guy because the contents is always the same; fucking dutch bros coffee, fast food, loads of beer cuz this fucker is an alcoholic, and cigarrettes. And its only ever in that one can, after noon. I hate it. And yeah our dumpsters are overflowing too.

We had two people quit and one whose car is broke down and the only coworker that starts with him in the morning refuses to help him, i assume hes going to quit or be let go. Hes also kinda my supervisor by virtue of being the most senior staff member on my "team". I cant go pick him up myself because for one i start 5 hours later than he does and two i dont have access to the car until my father gets home, 4 hours later.

But theres always hope, of leaving for an equally bad but totally new workplace, you know?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #126442 on: September 05, 2017, 06:48:20 pm »

My job is okay.

Department management are strained though, since pretty much the entire sales team left because they're college students, 'cept one guy left for a better paying job, and the assistant manager was... foolish with certain activities and had to transfer.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #126443 on: September 05, 2017, 07:24:13 pm »

Oh retail.

We have no seafood in the back cooler right now. I'm praying we can get salmon in tomorrow, because we are in a rough, rough shape. Typing this on my last break since today is inventory and I leave in an hourish. Ish, because I want make sure the department doesn't look like shit.

The WTF can be applied to my boss though, who is currently paying out the nose for daycare because the guy above him won't let him schedule himself with more flexibility. It's stupid, and I really feel bad for him eight now. Hence, my own willingness to go an extra mile for him. He deserves a place that doesn't look like shit tommorow.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126444 on: September 05, 2017, 07:56:43 pm »

I do not miss retail.

I did it for years, but I have very few fun stories because I am a big guy at 6"4' and about 250lb so customers rarely gave me shit. Only a couple funny ones like where an old lady asked for a Wiistation 360.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126445 on: September 05, 2017, 09:00:49 pm »

I'm having and have had a weird urge to tense my muscles and kind of shiver and fidget, particularly noticeable when I'm reading in bed as it makes me rather hot. lately it seems I has chanced a bit recently where i kind of feel the urge to tense up while standing put my hands over my face and shiver, its really weird. no idea why, maybe its the change in physical activity now that I have started up the school year going from 8 hours a day physical labor to academic and on vacation and my body just has tons of pent up energy or Adrenalin when I'm just sitting around the house. anyone know why? ???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:04:47 pm by redwallzyl »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126446 on: September 05, 2017, 09:04:33 pm »

Let me guess - you were drawing line art with an exacto knife.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126447 on: September 05, 2017, 11:54:54 pm »

I'm having and have had a weird urge to tense my muscles and kind of shiver and fidget, particularly noticeable when I'm reading in bed as it makes me rather hot. lately it seems I has chanced a bit recently where i kind of feel the urge to tense up while standing put my hands over my face and shiver, its really weird. no idea why, maybe its the change in physical activity now that I have started up the school year going from 8 hours a day physical labor to academic and on vacation and my body just has tons of pent up energy or Adrenalin when I'm just sitting around the house. anyone know why? ???
I have similar problems, I think, but I've never know why.  For me the feeling is concentrated in my legs, like my legs took a 5 hour energy and forgot to tell the rest of my body.  Here's what my advice would be:
1.  Don't try to sleep if you don't feel tired.  Instead do something boring until you feel tired.  (this only if the feeling in your muscles stops you from sleeping, otherwise who cares)
2.  Try to get closer to your old level of physical activity.
3.  Failing that, give in a little.  Stretch, pace, go for a short walk, do jumping jacks.  Or just, hold your hands in front of your face and shiver I guess.  Whatever you feel like doing, it might make the feeling less distracting the rest of the day.
4.  Hold an ice pack wrapped in a towel against the effected areas for 30 seconds each.  Or massage the muscles although to be honest that's kinda physically awkward to do to yourself.  Might make you feel more comfortable.  Stay hydrated and at a reasonable temperature in general, that's probably not what's causing it but its good advice always.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126448 on: September 06, 2017, 04:15:04 am »

A perfectly straight cut appeared in the middle of a piece of paper I was drawing on.
Maybe an Italian spectre of inspiration paid you a visit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #126449 on: September 06, 2017, 06:15:07 am »

Meanwhile at the Republican EPA: https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/epa-runs-all-grants-past-a-political-appointee-in-its-pr-office/
A political position has been created specifically to censor any scientific studies mentioning climate change by pulling their grants.
So um, not going to reply in the Ameripol thread (because most things there are localized x.x but more that I don't want to bog down my newbox :x), but I've been wondering on why there's some...feeling? of accepting others being ignorant and denying things which collaterally will affect...everyone else, especially considering that the people doing the 'considering' (background of funding/sustenance/maintenance/otherwise) are in authority to control said progress.

Wasn't there something about science being international instead of locally politicized? (And on that manner, why is there this growing feeling [...I guess mostly mine but it's this feeling from observations lately] that many things American are being politicized now instead of taking it in context of the concept. It's not like everything is the bilateral post-french revolution left/right .__.;)
Pages: 1 ... 8428 8429 [8430] 8431 8432 ... 11037