Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8422 8423 [8424] 8425 8426 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14527163 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126345 on: September 02, 2017, 07:02:34 am »

le sigh.

black hole.

the answer is yes. it matters because of why they are sent into this non-information area.  the question assumes that you yourself never has to enter.

but what if humanity has developed interstellar travel but not any convenient means of interstellar communication?  do you not send out colonists, who may be willing volunteers; of whom you will not hear the fate of for hundreds of years?  that you would be dead of old age before they responded?
or that they may never even be able to send a signal strong enough to stand out against the background noises, pattern or no?

if humanity believed that those sent into the noninfo space could or should survive and fufilled a purpose to them, then their nonresponse to communication becomes a barrier to improving the trip and task, not a debate about their non-existentence.

faith is still a value, and backed by emphirical evidence we can weigh it against moral standards.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:05:15 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #126346 on: September 02, 2017, 09:47:02 am »

You'll die before you are anywhere near the event horizon.

A space assasin will appear and knife you in your spaceship as per the Dawkins' Law of Physics, "No fun is allowed."
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126347 on: September 02, 2017, 11:49:35 am »

some lady just tried to merge into my lane - with me directly in the way.
then had the nerve to tell me i hit her when i got out to confront her
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #126348 on: September 02, 2017, 02:11:20 pm »

If somebody enters a black-hole-like area out of which no information may ever return, are they dead or alive?

Does that question even make any sense? Is there any way to distinguish the two cases?

What if we threw a coffin into that area without knowing whether the resident was dead or alive?

If information is no longer accessible, should we even consider it to have a definite state?

deeeeep philosophy
You're not the only one wondering about that.
I know that that's a physics problem, but... how do I say this...

You know how the cosmological horizon is constantly approaching? And how something that we used to be able to interact with (in theory) is now forever lost, if it passes that horizon? That's a real-life, physical process that doesn't involve any physics paradoxes while still raising the philosophical problems which I refer to to which I refer.

If somebody enters a black-hole-like area out of which no information may ever return, are they dead or alive?
Dead. Very, very dead. Spaghettified beyond the point where covalent bonds can exist and then sucked through the firewall and irradiated into oblivion before they actually crossed the event horizon.
Not if the black hole is large enough. Not if it's actually the cosmological horizon. But true, for most (and perhaps all existing) black holes.

the answer is yes. it matters because of why they are sent into this non-information area.
I get why it matters - because people being alive matters. But why do you say that somebody's alive-or-dead-ness is even a meaningful concept if their alive-state and dead-state cannot be distinguished through evidence?
the question assumes that you yourself never has to enter.
True - and that is an important point. This information might still exist, but is forever lost to you.
but what if humanity has developed interstellar travel but not any convenient means of interstellar communication?  do you not send out colonists, who may be willing volunteers; of whom you will not hear the fate of for hundreds of years?  that you would be dead of old age before they responded?
or that they may never even be able to send a signal strong enough to stand out against the background noises, pattern or no?
That doesn't actually satisfy the criteria of my philosophical problem - but if those interstellar colonists were to approach the cosmological horizon, such that the horizon would soon consume them and cut them off from Earth, then that would suffice.

That raises a good point, though - for practical purposes, you'll probably die before the near-interstellar colonists could send back a message of success anyway. You're throwing colonists into the void, and the only difference is whether some hypothetical descendants receive a success message.
if humanity believed that those sent into the noninfo space could or should survive and fufilled a purpose to them, then their nonresponse to communication becomes a barrier to improving the trip and task, not a debate about their non-existentence.
But does anything exist if its existence and nonexistence are even theoretically indistinguishable?
faith is still a value, and backed by emphirical evidence we can weigh it against moral standards.
"Faith is a value?" What does that mean? How is that an argument for the existence of the cosmological explorers? "I believe they live, so they live" just raises the question of "well why do you believe they live then?"
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126349 on: September 02, 2017, 02:25:54 pm »

Oh I see what you're saying. Spoiler: If someone falls into a black hole they die horribly.

iirc I read something a while ago about how it depends on whose perspective you look at. From the perspective of viewing someone falling into a black hole, they approach the event horizon and never actually reach it. Assuming that they aren't horribly killed quickly by the disc of high-velocity plasma around the black hole, you'll see them very slowly approach a horrible death.

From the perspective of someone falling into a black hole, they go past the event horizon just fine and then die horribly once the tidal forces are too strong for their body to stay together. But the interesting thing is that according to some interpretations different things happen in different perspectives but they both happen.

PPE: What would falling into a black hole look like, though? Wouldn't the universe around you get brighter and brighter as it appeared to travel faster in time relative to you until it reached a maximum (at which point it might vaporize you because of the massive amount of energy hitting you) at the event horizon before suddenly going dark? After that, I don't have the physics knowledge to make a good guess (and there's a singularity anyway).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126350 on: September 02, 2017, 02:34:26 pm »

You know how the cosmological horizon is constantly approaching?
It isn't. It's receding.
See Fig.1 here:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310808

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #126351 on: September 02, 2017, 04:48:55 pm »

Oh I see what you're saying. Spoiler: If someone falls into a black hole they die horribly.

iirc I read something a while ago about how it depends on whose perspective you look at. From the perspective of viewing someone falling into a black hole, they approach the event horizon and never actually reach it. Assuming that they aren't horribly killed quickly by the disc of high-velocity plasma around the black hole, you'll see them very slowly approach a horrible death.

From the perspective of someone falling into a black hole, they go past the event horizon just fine and then die horribly once the tidal forces are too strong for their body to stay together. But the interesting thing is that according to some interpretations different things happen in different perspectives but they both happen.

PPE: What would falling into a black hole look like, though? Wouldn't the universe around you get brighter and brighter as it appeared to travel faster in time relative to you until it reached a maximum (at which point it might vaporize you because of the massive amount of energy hitting you) at the event horizon before suddenly going dark? After that, I don't have the physics knowledge to make a good guess (and there's a singularity anyway).
Actually, since nothing can exit the event horizon, wouldn't it rip your atoms to shreds by dint of Proton A being past the horizon and no longer being able to be next to Neutron B, since that's still outside the horizon?

If nothing else it would cause some electron stripping, which would make everything inside very much on fire.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126352 on: September 02, 2017, 06:01:59 pm »

That doesn't make sense. If by interstellar travel you meant traveling to different solar systems within reasonable timeframes, can't they just send back a "success" message on a ship that also has interstellar capabilities?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126353 on: September 02, 2017, 06:18:55 pm »

I think pisskop means sub light interstellar travel. Maybe with onboard cryonics or multiple ship generations.

Re all that, the idea of just-bugger-off colonists never intended to return isn't unprecedented I'm sure. While circumnavigation of the earth might not have been as difficult as interstellar travel will be, the world was a big place a few hundred years ago and you might well have no clue at all what happened to poor relations who went to the New World, for example.

My wtf: the NSFW "I put on my robe and wizard hat" and how bleeding funny I found it. So much for maturity.
One wheel short of a wagon

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126354 on: September 02, 2017, 06:21:00 pm »

When I moved in to this apartment, I thought it was a little messy.

Several weeks later, I now know that it's deeply filthy and has never had a deep clean in years.   

The latest WTF was realizing that part of the kitchen cabinetry was so filthy it was a different color.

The kitchen! WTF.  Even if you're going to let the living room moulder under a layer of dust, at least clean the kitchen!
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126355 on: September 02, 2017, 06:27:10 pm »

Clean it ASAP. Or better, force your landlord to do that if you can. Living in filth is unhealthy. Molds can be detrimental to your health.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126356 on: September 02, 2017, 06:33:10 pm »

Man, I wished I lived alone.
I actually keep things reasonably clean when I'm on my own, it's just the option of leaving mess strewn about the house that is nice to have.

I can't think of any fresh WTFs to contribute right now, I'm afraid. The day is young.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126357 on: September 02, 2017, 06:51:13 pm »

Clean it ASAP. Or better, force your landlord to do that if you can. Living in filth is unhealthy. Molds can be detrimental to your health.

Dude, I'm already on it. Got the hallway leak fixed and supposedly they replaced the carpet, drywall and baseboards. Got the kitchen leak taken care of, no sign of wet wood (thank you, cheap landlords who do everything in plastic!) but keeping an eye on it. Got the freezer and refrigerator cleaned out, which took a whole lot of emotional labor, whining and flat out ultimatums. Got a dehumidifier and air filter ($$!). Got got a bunch of the water scale off fixtures. Got everyone to sit down and agree to a chore chart. Now I need to get the other bathroom looked at, pretty sure something bad is going down under the cracked tile next to the tub.

It's just so exhausting. It's only been 5 weeks. I have my own life going on, which is super busy now because of work things. I wouldn't have moved in with these people if I'd known the apartment was like this, or at the very least I would have set some hard and fast boundaries a lot quicker.   I thought these were responsible adults. I've known them for years, they've always seemed like they have their act together. Now they're all surprised, and 'you knew what this place was like before you moved in'. 

1) No, I didn't, you people only mentioned a few of the issues.
2) I never in the world imagined post-30s professionals would just ignore issues like this when maintenance is friendly and just a call away. Jokes on me for assuming you had basic life skills, I guess?
3) Since I'm the only one taking care of this crap, and you have in fact acknowledged that, both of you need to lay off being surprised that I haven't finished re-arranging my stuff.  Shut up or put up, people.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126358 on: September 02, 2017, 06:55:03 pm »

I actually keep things reasonably clean when I'm on my own, it's just the option of leaving mess strewn about the house that is nice to have.

I can't think of any fresh WTFs to contribute right now, I'm afraid. The day is young.   

Giving up in despair and leaving my crap around was actually the only thing that got my roommates moving. It was pretty funny. Their messes were totally fine! My messes weren't.

No one I've lived with would ever call me a neat freak, so maybe I'm being a total hypocrite, but both times I let stuff get close to this bad I had serious untreated medical issues.  These people are just...one spends all day, every day, in their room, and the other has 100% ditched us for their shiny new SO, to the point that they eat at the SO's place and they left rotting milk in the fridge here. 
To summarize:

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126359 on: September 02, 2017, 09:30:09 pm »

My wtf: the NSFW "I put on my robe and wizard hat" and how bleeding funny I found it. So much for maturity.
bloodninja: Don’t f*ck with me bitch, I’m the mightiest sorcerer of the lands.

Gets me every time.

Giving up in despair and leaving my crap around was actually the only thing that got my roommates moving. It was pretty funny. Their messes were totally fine! My messes weren't.

No one I've lived with would ever call me a neat freak, so maybe I'm being a total hypocrite, but both times I let stuff get close to this bad I had serious untreated medical issues.  These people are just...one spends all day, every day, in their room, and the other has 100% ditched us for their shiny new SO, to the point that they eat at the SO's place and they left rotting milk in the fridge here. 

Depending on how your lease is set up girlfriend guy might be a plus instead of a minus. If he's never there at all you've basically got a phantom roommate who pays a share of the rent but doesn't run up the bills.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 8422 8423 [8424] 8425 8426 ... 11037