Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8359 8360 [8361] 8362 8363 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14575609 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #125400 on: August 15, 2017, 01:31:05 pm »

Well, most mythological beings are renamed when they get to different countries. This results in some creatures having the same name, despite being different. For example elves can be foot tall creatures that play tricks on people (like Puck) or slightly taller than human people who shoot arrows (like Legolas).

Similar with trolls. The "Standard fantasy troll" is the troll from Tolkien's Hobbit. But that is not the only version of trolls. While true that the wikipedia can not be completly trusted, I think it is not entirely wrong on trolls here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll.

Basicaly, they can be anything from little imps in burial mounds to giants.

So I think that Kobolds could be called trolls. Not the only kind of troll, but a kind.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #125401 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:17 pm »

never forget the Toll Troll https://youtu.be/aDhAEmODyzw
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125402 on: August 15, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

Well, most mythological beings are renamed when they get to different countries. This results in some creatures having the same name, despite being different. For example elves can be foot tall creatures that play tricks on people (like Puck) or slightly taller than human people who shoot arrows (like Legolas).

UGH... Japan...

Damn you whoever translated Yokai as demon.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125403 on: August 15, 2017, 02:19:26 pm »

Evil spirit. In czech, probably "strašidlo" (frightener).
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #125404 on: August 15, 2017, 02:35:16 pm »

Similar with trolls. The "Standard fantasy troll" is the troll from Tolkien's Hobbit. But that is not the only version of trolls. While true that the wikipedia can not be completly trusted, I think it is not entirely wrong on trolls here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll.

Basicaly, they can be anything from little imps in burial mounds to giants.

So I think that Kobolds could be called trolls. Not the only kind of troll, but a kind.

I'm Swedish. I'm well aware what a real troll is.

And I disagree, most languages tend to translate the name of the creature into something better relatable to their speakers rather than just keep the word identical to the original language. For example, I remember a book set in Japan where the main character what I can only assume is supposed to be an "Oni". The Swedish translation, unsurprisingly, translated it instead to "troll", since trolls is the about the closest equivalent in the Swedish shared culture-consciousness.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125405 on: August 15, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »

Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

I often think if you can't use the original word... maybe we should just make up a new word that fits in phonetically.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #125406 on: August 15, 2017, 02:55:00 pm »

Also also trolling does not refer to the mythic unanimal but to the fishing method.
It's a shame the Internet variety is spelled as it is; 'trawl' is an inherently funny word.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #125407 on: August 15, 2017, 03:07:58 pm »

Also also trolling does not refer to the mythic unanimal but to the fishing method.
It's a shame the Internet variety is spelled as it is; 'trawl' is an inherently funny word.

No, as far as I know trolling and trawling are to inherently different fishing methods (although the words are probably etymologically related).

Trawling is the act of dragging a net behind a moving boat and capturing everything in front of it.

Trolling is the act of dragging a bait behind a moving boat to give the illusion that the bait is moving and alive, causing fish to swim up and bite the hook.

Trawling makes an awful metaphor for the behaviour of internet assholes, trolling perfectly illustrates how they operate.

Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

I often think if you can't use the original word... maybe we should just make up a new word that fits in phonetically.

Words often mean things and thus need to be translated. "Troll", for example, is synonymous with magic and/or trickery. Two of the most common words for magicians in Swedish, for example, is literally "troll man" (trollkarl) and "troll crone" (trollpacka). Similarly, doing magic is "trolling" (trolla).
Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #125408 on: August 15, 2017, 03:10:25 pm »

Today I had a dream where I was playing TESIV: Oblivion. I was an assassin who killed the targets by punching them in back of the head. I also had a dagger which I used only once.

The WTF is that I've never played Oblivion (and probably never will), and yet I had a dream about the game.

I actually had a dream about playing an assassin in oblivion last night too; i was returning to the dark brotherhoods fort outside cheydinhal after failing a contract, when three of them stopped me and decided to kill me on the spot. So i slaughtered everyone. I could still use this weird ritual circle to perform rites, though. Im not sure what was going on there...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125409 on: August 15, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »

Well neither would a person who has never played Oblivion.

I remember playing a punchman with a bow in Oblivion.  It worked great until I hit level 15 and suddenly cougars wrecked my face.  Actually, thats when I first started to respect stealth in console RPGs.

Im really a bit more of a battlemage kind of guy, but I enjoy playing a nightblade a lot more now.

Decent combat, good charisma, and spells for days.  not a durable of a space marine, but good for day to day things and sneaks.  Whenever you arent at open warfare really.

Actually, in skyrim one of my favorite builds was an argonian wizard with a axe and board.  The mechanics really were begging for a good player to exploit them.  Block the blow axe in the eye.  block the blow, swap to spells and blast.

shame illusion was so bad in coregame skyrim ...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #125410 on: August 15, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »

-something I said in 2013-
What is wrong with me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125411 on: August 15, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »

Good imagination. Not sure where that was going tho

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #125412 on: August 15, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »

I like how there's an unspoken agreement amongst consequent posters to not even mention it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125413 on: August 15, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »

Thanks for bringing it up though, so I'd see this:
So.. This happened.
Or my favorite so far, Magichu
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125414 on: August 15, 2017, 05:05:37 pm »

-something I said in 2013-
What is wrong with me.
You had dicks on the brain. And the liver. And the lungs. And the intestines. And...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8359 8360 [8361] 8362 8363 ... 11041