Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8330 8331 [8332] 8333 8334 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441392 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124965 on: August 03, 2017, 06:51:29 pm »

I mean, that's just a fancier ankle-tracker, but more wrought with various legal issues about bodily autonomy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124966 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:57 pm »

Depending on what sort of chip that is, I don't really see the problem. If all it does is to certify at close range 'Ayup, this is Helgo right here', I could see it being very, very practical. The two-factor authentication possibilities alone would be worth it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124967 on: August 03, 2017, 07:23:52 pm »

When someone hacks the chip's lowest-bidder security and changes "Ayup, this is Helgo right here" to "Ayup, this is a valid roadspace right here".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124968 on: August 03, 2017, 07:26:30 pm »

Assuming they don't do what most companies do and just sell the information as it is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124969 on: August 03, 2017, 07:29:24 pm »

Blarge I got a real big WTF but the dang Gender thread is down... It is this one "fact" that I keep hearing repeated over and over again... But I've never EVER been able to substantiate it... It is constantly parroted non-stop.

Maybe I should just make my own thread about it... then close it when it was answered.

But given gender stuff EXPLODES I definitely don't want to post it here.

If you want to know what I am referring to PM... It isn't THAT mind blowing or that uncomfortable. Otherwise advice is helpful.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124970 on: August 03, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »

Don't you be bringing logic into this, Helgo. Everyone knows that these chips will read your mind, constantly transmit your unencrypted bank information, compel you to salute the flag, and sprout legs in order to kick puppies.

When someone hacks the chip's lowest-bidder security and changes "Ayup, this is Helgo right here" to "Ayup, this is a valid roadspace right here".
Because automated vehicles only use short-range RFID signals to navigate, ignoring every sort of visual input?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #124971 on: August 03, 2017, 07:30:59 pm »

Eh. My two cents is that'll follow the way of most mobile tech. Be generally unpopular before someone actually makes it convenient and useful, then explode in a boom where you're not legally required to have it, but it's immensely harmful from a social perspective to not get one.

I'd get one, but then I'm transhumanist to the core. The body is just hardware.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124972 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:53 pm »

Because automated vehicles only use short-range RFID signals to navigate, ignoring every sort of visual input?
That, and the general type of danger MSH describes is present as well in perfectly ordinary personal ID cards. In plenty of countries everybody is obliged to have one, and in Germany at least you are in principle obliged to carry yours on your person at all times. Nobody is too upset with that, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #124973 on: August 03, 2017, 08:01:06 pm »

They want to microchip people now....

The crazies were right all along.

[sigh] How ... how is that a thing that's true?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124974 on: August 03, 2017, 08:09:29 pm »

Such analytic prowess you display, Truean. Verily, I am now convinced and shall join you in the coming uprising against the cattle-folk.
The Bay12 postcard club

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124975 on: August 03, 2017, 08:13:09 pm »

I ended up with a slush beverage today. Its flavour? Cinnamon pepsi. The combination of sugar, frozen water and spiciness is very strange, but not unpleasant.

RE: microchips

I really don't see how this is an improvement on ID cards for most purposes. I don't see them catching on, simply because a lot of people will freak out about them and because they're not better enough to actually get implemented in the face of resistance.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #124978 on: August 04, 2017, 01:12:51 am »

That happens all the time in football

Btw I swear cracked's picture lists are getting more asinine by the day
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:23:59 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124979 on: August 04, 2017, 01:54:34 am »

I'm under contract to buy a house. The building inspector was nice.

It's a probate sale. I have the estate's attorney on tape (it's a one party consent state so I'm good) saying we could use the realtor's standard contract I signed and that we could use the title company in the contract.

His secretary just doesn't care and the title agent she wants is terrible. She's not taking no for an answer. It's in a contract and her boss is on tape saying I'm right.

What the hell do I do?
Pages: 1 ... 8330 8331 [8332] 8333 8334 ... 11040