Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8054 8055 [8056] 8057 8058 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549144 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120825 on: April 14, 2017, 11:14:11 am »

Total War and Paradox titles. The sources of 98% of my historical knowledge.
It's certainly 98% of my geographic knowledge.

Uuuuuhhh... I am not exactly sure that is a good thing.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120826 on: April 14, 2017, 11:18:48 am »

Aah, historical games... Of course, the great charm of Paradox titles is to find ways to utterly derail history from its original course.

Speaking of, Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It is meditation. O'er fields and forest I did ride; Sword and Pistol by my side...

What do you mean, 'joke'? It's just the truth. I'm not sure why you specified 'Finland and Norway', but I rather like you left Sweden out of this grouping.

The worst thing is that I cannot even argue. Well, I can argue that it depends on who you ask. The urbanites have gone soft, and their sisu and cold resistance faded as they stopped drinking vodka (Replacing it with only beer and wine. The only hard spirits that will pass those lips are the trace amounts present in the average over-priced candy-drink). Nord magic is still alive and well elsewhere, that much I can assure.

Unfortunately, the picture of the kingdom has been reduced to Stockholm, with a few little bits attached. Both abroad and domestic. So, no, I cannot truly argue... And it hurts. But happily, it is friday, and nothing smarts that cannot be drunken away!

(Of course, it is also Good Friday. But still, I doubt Jesus would mind. While frightfully unpleasant for him, it is, after all, a great occasion that it occured. Not to mention, I am sure Pontius Pilatus needed a drink or twelve after a dreadful day; I shall drink in solidarity with him. Yes, I have decided! Cheers, everyone!)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120827 on: April 14, 2017, 11:33:44 am »

Aah, historical games... Of course, the great charm of Paradox titles is to find ways to utterly derail history from its original course.

I find the weird part (and a huge turn off personally) is that even if you eliminate the factors that made it come to pass, the characters will still be railroaded into acting the same way.

You really have to go a few extra steps sometimes.

It is almost like Paradox is making some sort of argument for determinism or fate.

"You will kill your wife!"
"But I love her"
"Don't matter, kill her!"

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120828 on: April 14, 2017, 11:39:35 am »

That is rather odd, yes. And a bit of a shame. I do wish there were more options to decide how closely the game ought to stick to the script, as it were.

Perhaps it is that Manifest Destiny jiggery-pokery that people talk about?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #120829 on: April 14, 2017, 12:01:17 pm »

I find the weird part (and a huge turn off personally) is that even if you eliminate the factors that made it come to pass, the characters will still be railroaded into acting the same way.

You really have to go a few extra steps sometimes.

It is almost like Paradox is making some sort of argument for determinism or fate.

"You will kill your wife!"
"But I love her"
"Don't matter, kill her!"
This is only a problem in EU as far as I've seen. CKII flies totally off the rails after you unpause the game, save for playing Charlemagne (whose special events you can turn off if you so wish.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120830 on: April 14, 2017, 12:05:07 pm »

Talking of weird determinism in games, Horizon Zero Dawn
Spoiler: story spoilers (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120831 on: April 14, 2017, 12:29:03 pm »

Talking of weird determinism in games, Horizon Zero Dawn
Spoiler: story spoilers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120832 on: April 14, 2017, 12:32:20 pm »

That is one of my biggest peeves of the Hearts of Iron games. They do too much to encourage a historical path, both in the outbreak of the war and in the technology system (which penalizes you for being "ahead" of history, even though quite a few technologies were only introduced so late because they were being ignored), making the alternate history potential much weaker.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheInquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120833 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:02 pm »

That is one of my biggest peeves of the Hearts of Iron games. They do too much to encourage a historical path, both in the outbreak of the war and in the technology system (which penalizes you for being "ahead" of history, even though quite a few technologies were only introduced so late because they were being ignored), making the alternate history potential much weaker.

Yeah, really. I can have Nationalist Spain be 80% Falangist, but the Civil War will go down just the same no matter what.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #120834 on: April 14, 2017, 12:45:54 pm »

Speaking of Paradox, I've encountered a mind-boggling computer issue. I was trying to send EU4 back to the old version because I'm playing a game on that patch. Right? Right. So I accidentally set it back to 1.9 instead of 1.19. An amusing error. But then I set it to 1.19, and in the middle of updating my internet cuts out due to knocking off the wifi adapter. So I plug it back in, and the download finishes... mostly. I decide to verify the cache because it makes mistakes when it gets interrupted. But it tells me it can't finish updating because "Content File Locked". Something to do with /common/church_aspects. I say "ok, that's a new error", and head in to change the permissions. And... I can't. At all. Can't open the file, can't delete it, I'm not even permitted to look at the permissions, let alone change them. Now as I'm the administrator on my computer that's very fucking weird. I try deleting it through an elevated command prompt, straight up "Access is Denied." So ok, I uninstall EU4, and reinstall it. Not only does that not work, but now there is a new folder with the same problem, Europa Universalis IV\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010. I tried installing a registry edit that would allow me to take ownership of the folder. Nothing. I just get "You need permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this folder," then prompts me to try again. And it does that with everything.

What kind of bloody sorcery is this? Its Win10 if that makes a difference.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120835 on: April 14, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »

One wheel short of a wagon

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120836 on: April 14, 2017, 12:53:03 pm »

I must confess that I have not played Hearts of Iron IV (Nor do I believe I will, that blasted thing irritates me. I like arranging corps, armies and theatres, and I really liked the emphasis that HoI III put on that. Seeing HoI IV boiled down to yet another Little Men Walking Around on a Map-em-up was terribly disappointing.), so it is rather difficult for me to gauge it, but dear me, do I believe it. Is there an optional switch for historical scripting? If not, then it is a terrible oversight.

Before it was patched, however, Hearts of Iron III could erupt in some very interesting alternative history. Finland, for instance, could always be counted on joining the allies and develop an unnatural fascination with invading Tobruk, gradually emptying the land of units to send to Africa. Odd behaviour, in all.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120837 on: April 14, 2017, 01:05:12 pm »

Spoiler: HZD Spoilers (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #120838 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:12 pm »

-snip-

Speaking of EU4, how did people react to the new DLC? Did they put the combat width mechanic back or not? Methinks EU4 jumped the shark after that "wonderful" update which removed it because of the complaints that "battles were too long".

Unrelated: It's bad that I unironically like "Never Gonna Give You Up"?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120839 on: April 14, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »

Unrelated: It's bad that I unironically like "Never Gonna Give You Up"?

Why would it be? It is an excellent song.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 8054 8055 [8056] 8057 8058 ... 11038