Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7999 8000 [8001] 8002 8003 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14525337 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120000 on: March 30, 2017, 12:54:03 pm »

Not sure how is that controversial. Most people who pay a shred of attention are aware how overhyped they are, and often rushed or designed by comittee which further excerbates the problem. So even if it turns out to be a decent game, there's no way in hell it'll live up to the hype, not unless you're some rabid fanboy living in their own bubble.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120001 on: March 30, 2017, 01:00:25 pm »

Is there a difference between designed by committee and designed by a team? and by team I mean everyone on that team does have a say.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120002 on: March 30, 2017, 01:03:51 pm »

What kind of car has only a single bolt securing the entire freaking engine? That seems retardedly dumb for a multitude of reasons, like, holy fuck, have they heard of this fun thing called redundancy and not putting the entire strain on a single rather small point :O
I couldn't tell you, cause this one has more than one bolt. It's just the rest of them had already been removed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #120003 on: March 30, 2017, 01:04:12 pm »

Is there a difference between designed by committee and designed by a team? and by team I mean everyone on that team does have a say.
Often a design committee is not responsible for the production/execution of their plan. Additionally they can have less clearly defined roles, and can bring individual and conflicting demands to the table.

Like, take the Bradley. The design process for it was a prime example of design-by-committee.

Typically I'd associate "team" with a group of people assigned to do something without stringent guidance on how to do it, so they're working directly on the project, probably accustomed to working together, and not burdened by arbitrary and external requirements on the final product. A team would likely also have some degree of leadership or hierarchy to help guide the process.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120004 on: March 30, 2017, 01:13:15 pm »

In my mind, design by committee is a much more detached method than design by team. The team have (or jolly well should have) a clear, united idea of where the project is heading, and what needs to be done to accomplish its goals, et cetera. A united group with a goal and with a very clear understanding of the game they are making and want to make.

A design committee, on the other hand, is the sort of detached entity that could insist on jamming in, say, Co-Op into a project, because some equally detached focus group result says it will sell better. Or shovel in micro-transaction, or demand stream-lining, or demanding a longer campaign, or a genre shift, or all other sorts of devilry that might look very sensible on paper in a distant board-room. A board-room where people not closely connected to the game might meet up once per month or so, and discuss a game they know rather little of. Bonus points if it is exclusively staffed by marketers and general producers with no real insight or experience in game design.

That is, at least, my understanding of the two.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120005 on: March 30, 2017, 01:20:16 pm »

Tiruin is already the most ethical human being, she does not need to develop that super power.
Super-ethical
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120006 on: March 30, 2017, 01:42:07 pm »

That raises the question of whether Super-Ethical Tiruin could shoot a baby panda in order to save the planet/day/universe.

Would it be ethical to be unethical?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120007 on: March 30, 2017, 01:44:50 pm »

It depends on whether it was before or after eating or shooting. If the order's right and the comma's placed, it's legit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120008 on: March 30, 2017, 01:52:54 pm »

That raises the question of whether Super-Ethical Tiruin could shoot a baby panda in order to save the planet/day/universe.

Would it be ethical to be unethical?

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120009 on: March 30, 2017, 02:05:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120010 on: March 30, 2017, 02:30:27 pm »

Has anyone here ever been sick... But you know it isn't an illness? Or at least not likely one.

Goodness I feel terrible today, but I can't really say I am sick...

Is it ok just to say I am sick? Or is that a social faux pas?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120011 on: March 30, 2017, 02:35:24 pm »

You could say you feel sick, that doesn't imply that you are in fact sick, just that you might be.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120012 on: March 30, 2017, 02:38:33 pm »

I never got that scenario.  It was presented in psyche class at college.

(For those unfamiliar there is a train out of control speeding down a track. You are at a switching lever that will control which track the train goes down.  If you don't pull the lever the train will go down the main track where 5 people will be hit by the train and surely die.  If you pull the lever it will go into a maintenance track instead and crash into the back of some empty train cars, but the train driver will certainly die.)

Prof had the entire class write their response on a piece of paper and put it in the box and they'd be tallied up after.  Supposedly most of the class would rather be responsible for 5 deaths than 1.  And I just don't see why.

EDIT @Neonivek: I would just go with feeling sick or feeling unwell.  Especially if it's like a calling out from work thing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120013 on: March 30, 2017, 02:39:10 pm »

You could say you feel sick, that doesn't imply that you are in fact sick, just that you might be.
Or that you don't feel well.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120014 on: March 30, 2017, 02:40:22 pm »

Prof had the entire class write their response on a piece of paper and put it in the box and they'd be tallied up after.  Supposedly most of the class would rather be responsible for 5 deaths than 1.  And I just don't see why.

Because real life isn't a numbers game.

In order to save five people... You have to intentionally kill/murder one other person. It is essentially murder.

Here is a slightly different event.

Five people fell off a bridge and are going to flatten someone below them. They will definitely kill the person they land on, but they will be fine so long as it happens. You, however, can yell out and stop the person from walking and thus saving them from being crushed.

Do you?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:42:14 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 7999 8000 [8001] 8002 8003 ... 11037