Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7885 7886 [7887] 7888 7889 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492103 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118290 on: February 17, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »

So you just hate everything then.

Yes... my dislike of forced romance translates into an intense loathing of everything. How did you know? :P

But no... I just hate it when shows act like something is more significant then it actually is... and continue to fail to do anything with it anyway.

As well I hate it when shows just sort of hit the default button, when it is always the default button.

If its not always then its not really the default
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118291 on: February 17, 2017, 04:09:40 pm »

Neonivek can't have nice things since he hates all the nice things.

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118292 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:10 pm »

Star Control 2 player: Were ALL the Androsynth destroyed when the Orz came?
Fred Ford: Perceptive lad. This was a leading plot candidate for our theoretical sequel.
Considering how much I love the Androsynth's concept, and also wanted a proper sequel to SC2, this information hurt to read.

To quote from Skype:
Gay genius SLAVE clones invented FTL and escaped...  Then killed countless humans as Heirarchy thralls, out of hatred...  But then, they found something they should not have.

I know I've ranted about them before, but still.  That concept really speaks to me.
Even - No, especially, because they went too deep into eldritch knowledge.
And now there are only Orz.

And my brother wonders why I hate the Orz...

Quote from: Starbase Commander Hayes
I think each of us aboard ship knew deep down in our hearts...that the Androsynth had damn good reasons for hating us.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118293 on: February 17, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »

Neonivek can't have nice things since he hates all the nice things.

Wait... In dungeons and dragons terms... That would make me Chaotic Evil.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118294 on: February 17, 2017, 04:31:10 pm »

Every single time I post anything the thread devolves into this kind of:

Gay genius SLAVE clones invented FTL and escaped...  Then killed countless humans as Heirarchy thralls, out of hatred...  But then, they found something they should not have.

Where do we even go from here.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118295 on: February 17, 2017, 04:34:49 pm »

I ask myself that every time I wake up
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #118296 on: February 17, 2017, 05:14:37 pm »

I recently switched to using a VPN (because why not? It's super cheap). Unfortunately network manager (the Linux GUI network program) refuses to connect to the VPN, all attempts time out (and the Linux version of the VPN's custom client doesn't work right either, but for different reasons). No big deal, ~10 minuets of tweaking and I have a simple shell script that connects to the VPN.

The network I am using today requires me to change my MAC address (don't ask). The instructions given for Linux tell you to use the convenient "cloned MAC address" field in the network manager connection properties GUI. Guess what? It doesn't work.

Now when I want to connect to this particular network I need to follow this procedure:

1) Make sure wifi is disabled, either via ifconfig or by pushing the button on the laptop.
2) Run macchanger to swap in the required MAC address.
3) Bring wifi back up and connect.
4) Start the VPN.

This requires me to enter my root password at least twice in two separate terminal windows. If network manager worked as advertised this whole mess would take a single click.

It wouldn't be a problem, but this %^&##% laptop had no less than three kernel panics (Linux equivalent of a bluescreen) today for unknown reasons (it seems to be behaving now though).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118297 on: February 17, 2017, 05:18:20 pm »

When writing on effective altruism, I had a really trippy thought.

If "good done" by a charity was quantifiable (yeah yeah it isn't; all subjective; blah blah we know), or various units like human QALYs vs animal QALYs vs global temperature reduction vs whatever could be compared (subjectively, of course, all right) perhaps by the average of the comparisons produced by thousands of different people, and valued against one another:

We could produce a unit for "good done" by a charity, and thus "good done" per unit of currency ($, £, whatever).

And if we took this hypothetical unit of good done, lets call it a philanthrope (yeah yeah, very hard/impossible to produce, subjective, etc etc) and actually awarded it to charities when they did a certain amount of good;
And they awarded philanthropes to donors according to the "good" their donation did;
And philanthropes could be exchanged for money not just by charities but also by private individuals because that seems to make sense in terms of who ends up short and has thus "donated";

Then:
Philanthropes would be a currency, like pounds or whatever,
Tradeable, perhaps on stock markets
And representative of units of an unspecified "charitable commodity": trees saved, etc.

Which would be crazy.

Also, as the difficulty of performing one philanthrope rose as most of the more effective charitable interventions were done and thus used up, the value of a philanthrope would rise.
So what if someone exchanged the philanthrope for dollars, and gave them to a charity for more philanthropes? This would result in the value of the philanthrope plummeting... would it ever stop?

I'm woozy, sleepy and don't understand much economics, so if I'm talking absolute bollocks just tell me, but if someone more informed than me could make a guess at what might happen if philanthropes became real, I'd be interested.
One wheel short of a wagon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118298 on: February 17, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »

The stock music in the little skits I have to watch for Spanish class is surprisingly bangin'. You know, for stock music.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118299 on: February 17, 2017, 07:27:52 pm »

The stock music in the little skits I have to watch for Spanish class is surprisingly bangin'. You know, for stock music.
Watch this instead :)

http://www.rtve.es/television/ministerio-del-tiempo/
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118300 on: February 17, 2017, 08:04:43 pm »

So I was looking through my files today and in my temporary file I found one called GLA.DOS which when opened is 1000000 lines of asterisks with numbers on either side of them and then one extra line that is completely blank.... I don't know what it is or why it exists but it is there and IDK what to do with it

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118301 on: February 17, 2017, 08:16:41 pm »

I would recommend deleting that. Unless you are a fan of neurotoxin.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118302 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:13 pm »

So I was looking through my files today and in my temporary file I found one called GLA.DOS which when opened is 1000000 lines of asterisks with numbers on either side of them and then one extra line that is completely blank.... I don't know what it is or why it exists but it is there and IDK what to do with it

Turn it into an exe and run it to see if you gat an artificial intelligence with a knack for neurotoxin

Post results
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118303 on: February 17, 2017, 08:26:11 pm »

No, no, it's the GLA's attempt at creating a computer virus for old machines running DOS.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118304 on: February 17, 2017, 11:42:34 pm »

I suddenly remembered a time when I was watching Inuyasha as a young lad, when they tested the tsunami warnings that would be broadcast over TV. It cut all the audio and replaced the closed captions with a notice explaining that it was just a test, not a real tsunami.

The WTF is that I'm still kinda mad about it all these years later. I don't even like Inuyasha anymore!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:45:30 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 7885 7886 [7887] 7888 7889 ... 11037