Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7818 7819 [7820] 7821 7822 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14452997 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117285 on: January 27, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »

Even in the OR days, Jedi were probably relatively rare. If there were a hundred million Jedi (likely far, far too high from what we see on film), that would still be a tiny, tiny number on the scale of a full galaxy. For that matter, considering that the capital of the Republic is a city-planet that likely has a population in the high billions (or more), that's a small number by the standards of just a couple of star systems. Outside of the area around the Jedi Temple, most people will never have met one, and know about them only from stories and news programs. Give these people twenty years of unending "The Jedi were frauds that tried to turn the Republic into their puppet" propaganda, and it isn't all that unlikely that people would think them a myth.

Beyond that, the Jedi that we see are very, very subtle about any force use in general unless actually in combat. So even people who had seen and met Jedi wouldn't usually have any confirmation that they had any mystical powers. Political power, sure, but magical? How could you be sure?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117286 on: January 27, 2017, 12:41:16 pm »

For the looks of it I'd say that jedi numbered in a few thousand, likely. So I tend to agree, pretty fucking rare, prolly mythical in many places.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117287 on: January 27, 2017, 01:58:00 pm »

Well, bloody buggery pissflappers, they have managed to suss out and break through adblockers. Well, it was a few good, relatively advert-free years. And even though adverts are finally crawling through my defences, they seem to be the short, agreeable and managable sort, not the long, loud and slowdown-making ones that caused me to flee into adblocking arms in the first place.

Still, oh, still... I suppose it was a luxury, to be in complete control of where and when to allow adverts. I am glad to have had it. And if it has lead to adverts finally knowing their place (at the back, mouth shut and not taking up too much room), then I cannot truly complain, for it was all that I wanted.

EDIT: I believe that since the adverts that are worming their way back into the warmth are fairly agreeable, I imagine they are simply the ones good and co-operative enough to pass through the eye of the needle. Well, carry on.Not to mention, even I can make a browser tab shut its little face these days.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:01:21 pm by Silverthrone »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #117288 on: January 27, 2017, 02:24:24 pm »

Are you using Adblock Plus? If so, check your settings: well-behaved ads are now enabled by default.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117289 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:48 pm »

Yeah, Adblock Plus sold out years ago. Use uBlock.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #117290 on: January 27, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »

No, it's actually decent. Just take the few seconds to change the settings back to "no ads".
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117291 on: January 27, 2017, 02:54:15 pm »

Personally I use Adblock Plus because I approve of the ads it allows.  I also unblock ads on webcomics I want to support, and occasionally toggle it on Youtube for the same reason.  It's conscientious.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117292 on: January 27, 2017, 02:55:18 pm »

The trouble with Adblock Plus, I've found, is that it blocks a lot of youtube videos.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117293 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:58 pm »

Are you using Adblock Plus? If so, check your settings: well-behaved ads are now enabled by default.

I thought it might be that, after some thinking and a modest deal of swearing and complaining. It is, honestly, fair enough. I do not mind adverts that know their place. I was afraid that it would be the vanguard of a tech-savvier advert landslide. It seemed to suggest so, on their web site, but thank you for confirming it. All is well again.

I am always prepared to give white-listing a chance, but by God, have I been disappointed sometimes...

The trouble with Adblock Plus, I've found, is that it blocks a lot of youtube videos.

I have not observed that myself. Youtube, oddly, has never behaved better than after I grew tired and plugged in an adblocker.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117294 on: January 27, 2017, 03:03:12 pm »

uBlock can be disabled per-website, and it's on browsers besides Firefox as well. The trouble is that it's a bit clunky if you try to pick out ads it missed, but that rarely happens anyway.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117295 on: January 27, 2017, 03:07:55 pm »

I have not observed that myself. Youtube, oddly, has never behaved better than after I grew tired and plugged in an adblocker.

I just went back and checked some videos that had the problem, and it seems to have gone away.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117296 on: January 27, 2017, 03:09:59 pm »

uBlock can be disabled per-website, and it's on browsers besides Firefox as well. The trouble is that it's a bit clunky if you try to pick out ads it missed, but that rarely happens anyway.
Just in case you weren't aware, ABP is also conveniently disabled by site (or by page) with two clicks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117297 on: January 27, 2017, 03:19:17 pm »

I just went back and checked some videos that had the problem, and it seems to have gone away.

It is Google, after all. I imagine they tried to force an update or other that did not play nice with... Well, practically everything that it ought to play with.

Speaking of, I am amazed how quickly they sniffed out VidBit and gave it a neckshot on the courtyard... I rather liked the novelty of it, a faithful recreation of Youtube Anno 2006, but blue.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117298 on: January 27, 2017, 03:31:54 pm »

Adblocker Ultimate is another very good choice.

My ticker-tape on it is currently at 461,023 ads blocked over the course of maybe four or five months, and it has a one-click function to disable in on a site-by-site basis, as well as a way to block individual elements manually. Good shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117299 on: January 27, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »

Especially if you happen to have one of those tree rat things as a pet. "Force? What force? My little flufflewump sees no force."

You mean the ysalamiri?
Bit delayed, but yeah. All the wonders of a mystical pan-universal connective force, felled by the idle presence of arboreal vermin. though yes, I know they're probably non-canon now. I don't care.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 7818 7819 [7820] 7821 7822 ... 11040