Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7725 7726 [7727] 7728 7729 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14493718 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115890 on: December 27, 2016, 05:00:53 pm »

Heh, OOTS lampooned that once in a very early comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0007.html

It has been a very long time since I reread that from the beginning, and I forgot how stupid-looking the wiggly panel borders the Giant used in the early strips were.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115891 on: December 27, 2016, 05:06:06 pm »

There's a website called gethuman.com which appears to claim that they have contact info for the USPS. I haven't visited it, so be wary.

You could go to your nearest post office and ask about your missing packages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #115892 on: December 27, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »

Good luck with that. Some countries, including mine, seem to have got completely rid of post offices: small mail is sent and received via mailboxes, while larger mail is sent and received at convenience stores and kiosks, the workers of which have no will or means to track any packages.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115893 on: December 27, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »

My cable company has a similar system, but it short circuits and connects you directly to a real person if you simply don't speak to the automated system.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115894 on: December 27, 2016, 06:08:55 pm »

Good luck with that. Some countries, including mine, seem to have got completely rid of post offices: small mail is sent and received via mailboxes, while larger mail is sent and received at convenience stores and kiosks, the workers of which have no will or means to track any packages.

Are there any startup courier services appearing?

Lord Shonus appears to be an American, so I thought it might be possible.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #115895 on: December 27, 2016, 06:14:18 pm »

Not really. The system works surprisingly well, probably due to the low volume of mail sent nowadays. People don't need an office that's open to public if there's nothing there that can't be done acceptably well elsewhere.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #115896 on: December 27, 2016, 06:15:19 pm »

My graphics card died again.
Not that I expected otherwise, but I'm still let down. :/
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115897 on: December 27, 2016, 06:17:47 pm »

What specifications do you require?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115898 on: December 27, 2016, 06:39:19 pm »

Lord Shonus appears to be an American, so I thought it might be possible.

We do still have post offices in the US, but the people there are little more than clerks that handle things like selling stamps or mail forwarding. Filing an actual complaint there won't do me any good. Luckily I got the not-that-important package along with my vitally-important insurance ID cards. Three hours after the tracking number declared delivery, and more than an hour after all the mail trucks are supposed to be back in. They must have sent my carrier back out.

EDIT:
On an unrelated subject, I wound up reading one of those "Bizzare old-school inventions" lists, expecting that the list would be one part "perfectly reasonable then, bizarre now" to three parts "what the hell were they thinking", but didn't expect that some of them are actually quite brilliant.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:48:15 pm by Lord Shonus »
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115899 on: December 27, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »

That's good.

Which list?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115900 on: December 27, 2016, 06:54:58 pm »

This one

http://offbeat.topix.com/slideshow/17822/

Three of them I think would be good ideas today.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115901 on: December 27, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »

This one

Actually, weren't gas masks for horses used in WWI? I've seen footage of gas masks for dogs too, what with the gas being used and horses actually still being used and horse cavalry actually still existing in some places.

I know the swim mask (which makes you look like a Luchador, or a burn victim) got popular in China, but I didn't know it was an old thing as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:17:44 pm by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115902 on: December 27, 2016, 07:17:21 pm »

This one

Actually, weren't gas masks for horses used in WWI? What with the gas being used and horses actually still being used and horse cavalry actually still existing in some places.

I know the swim mask (which makes you look like a Luchador, or a burn victim) got popular in China, but I didn't know it was an old thing as well.

That and the gas pram (a gas-proof baby carriage) were in the "once perfectly reasonable, but now strange" category. The periscope glasses, gun camera, and sitting stick were the ones I found quite clever, and the last one is (I believe) fairly common.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115903 on: December 27, 2016, 07:20:16 pm »

Yeah, the last one was a precursor to the VR goggle concept. The glow-in-the-dark tires seemed more like they'd be for some marketing scheme or design art for a car show rather than actual use.

Not sure what you mean by the last one, and the one I was thinking about is more in the middle, and shown at the start.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:22:44 pm by smjjames »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #115904 on: December 27, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »

I'm honestly very sad for the state of thought in this country right now and could explain it and some solutions but don't want the bother.

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 7725 7726 [7727] 7728 7729 ... 11037