Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7699 7700 [7701] 7702 7703 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14491405 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115500 on: December 16, 2016, 05:53:34 pm »

Had a nosebleed today, nothing special, dripped a bit, plugged it with a wad of toilet paper, p standard.

And after a while, it got a little soaked, so I got another wad and pulled the old one out to replace it.

And for some strange reason, what looked like a foot-long strand of bloody mucus came out with it, running along the inside of my throat and feeling incredibly creepy.

What the hell was that about, body?

Yep. Happens to me all the time. I have no idea, but it has something to do with your clotting. It's not exactly your standard mucus either, because it absorbs blood like nothing else. Most of the time, I've found that as soon as I managed to get out the mucus (I called them blood slugs when I was younger) most of the actual bleeding would stop fairly rapidly-implying that what I was taking as active bleeding was actually just seep coming from the mucus.

They're weird, and occasionally disconcerting, but harmless AFAIK.
Weird indeed. I wonder if the fact my nostrils have blood vessels unusually close to the surface has anything to do with it. It's why the nosebleeds happen, after all. Pretty sure most people don't start leaking from prodding a zit on the outside.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #115501 on: December 16, 2016, 06:30:01 pm »

My landlady's car trunk sounds frighteningly like a screaming child every time it opens and closes. I'm 95% certain that there's no small child in her trunk, but damn if I didn't jump at my window a few times to make sure.

Are you by chance a golden retriever?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115502 on: December 16, 2016, 06:31:05 pm »

My landlady's car trunk sounds frighteningly like a screaming child every time it opens and closes. I'm 95% certain that there's no small child in her trunk, but damn if I didn't jump at my window a few times to make sure.
It's obviously possessed by the ghost of a screaming child. Call an exorcist.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115503 on: December 16, 2016, 06:32:08 pm »

That's just the sound of your landlady harvesting your inner child as part of your rent agreement. You should probably have read that fine print....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115504 on: December 16, 2016, 07:31:53 pm »

Sounds nice. When you said "boyfriend" it surprised me, because for some reason the word "landlady" conjures an image of an elderly, harsh-faced woman.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #115505 on: December 16, 2016, 08:13:08 pm »

Sounds nice. When you said "boyfriend" it surprised me, because for some reason the word "landlady" conjures an image of an elderly, harsh-faced woman.
Ooh, I know this one! It's like "stepmother"!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115506 on: December 16, 2016, 08:19:50 pm »

Had a nosebleed today, nothing special, dripped a bit, plugged it with a wad of toilet paper, p standard.

And after a while, it got a little soaked, so I got another wad and pulled the old one out to replace it.

And for some strange reason, what looked like a foot-long strand of bloody mucus came out with it, running along the inside of my throat and feeling incredibly creepy.

What the hell was that about, body?

Yep. Happens to me all the time. I have no idea, but it has something to do with your clotting. It's not exactly your standard mucus either, because it absorbs blood like nothing else. Most of the time, I've found that as soon as I managed to get out the mucus (I called them blood slugs when I was younger) most of the actual bleeding would stop fairly rapidly-implying that what I was taking as active bleeding was actually just seep coming from the mucus.

They're weird, and occasionally disconcerting, but harmless AFAIK.
Weird indeed. I wonder if the fact my nostrils have blood vessels unusually close to the surface has anything to do with it. It's why the nosebleeds happen, after all. Pretty sure most people don't start leaking from prodding a zit on the outside.
Everyone's nose does. Its called Kiesselbach's plexus
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115507 on: December 16, 2016, 08:53:51 pm »

Wut? I never get nosebleeds naturally.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115508 on: December 16, 2016, 08:54:41 pm »

but everybody has a kiesselbach plexus, which is quite close to the surface, sensitive and prone to bleeding.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115509 on: December 16, 2016, 08:58:42 pm »

Inferior to the xyphoid process, readymade internal heart spike.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115510 on: December 16, 2016, 10:44:07 pm »

are these actual words or are you all aliens with weird alien anatomy
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #115511 on: December 16, 2016, 11:21:30 pm »

I am an alien with weird alien anatomy

FTFY
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115512 on: December 17, 2016, 01:02:20 am »

Inferior to the xyphoid process, readymade internal heart spike.

oh boy, the xiphoid process. Now there's a flawed piece of engineering if i ever saw one.

So for you laypersons out there, you've got a chest bone that your ribs attach to. This is your sternum. It provides structure and support for the rib cage, along with the shape of the chest itself. (Overgrowth of the sternum is usually the root cause of pectus carinatum, where the chest juts outwards in an almost tentlike, sorta-triangular shape.)

At the top of the sternum is the manubrium. The manubrium joins with the clavicles (collarbones), the cartilage of the first ribs, and some muscles. I believe there's also a ligament attached to the manubrium that is itself connected to the pericardium, the sac around the heart. The manubrium is thick, and very strong.

The body of the sternum, sometimes itself called the sternum, sometimes also called the gladiolus. The body of the sternum connects to the second through sixth ribs, the manubrium at the top, and the xiphoid process at the bottom. The major chest muscle pectoralis major attaches to the body of the sternum. It is quite easy to feel for the manubriosternal joint, where the manubrium and the body of the sternum join. Follow your collarbones towards your chest until you feel a bone between the end of the collarbones, below where the soft part of your neck ends. This is the manubrium. Follow the manubrium down a few cm until you feel a jutting bone. In some people, this is hard to detect, in others, it is extremely prominent.
This is where the manubrium and the body of the sternum meet.

Both the body of the sternum and the manubrium are quite strong and provide structure. It takes a large amount of force to break the sternum, by which time the ribs are probably already broken themselves.

Lastly, the odd one out: The Xiphoid process. It's a triangular, rather pointy process (outcropping of bone) that attaches to the base of the sternum with rather less interface in the fibrous joint than the manubriosternal joint has. It is for this reason that you must be careful when doing CPR, as if your pressure lies too low on the sternum, you can quite easily snap the xiphoid process off entirely, often puncturing either the diaphragm or the liver. In the case of the liver, this can be lethal.
The only true function of the xiphoid process is for costal cartilage (cartilage that extends the ribs outwards) to attach to and reinforce. Additionally, the cartilage within the solar or celiac plexus, a bundle of nerves enervating the stomach and diaphragm, reside here. It is for this reason that a blow to the stomach or slightly higher can cause initial difficulty breathing "having the wind knocked out of you".

For what it's worth, the xiphoid process is more of a liability than a help to humanity. In other animals, it is much the same, but as bipeds it is more exposed for us. The only animal to have a major, well developed xiphoid would be flying birds, which follows their keel bone, which is an extended sternum.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115513 on: December 17, 2016, 01:02:34 am »

People do NOT listen when I tell them not to touch the touchscreen screen of my laptop. It gets their greasy filth everywhere, disturbs what I'm doing, and gets me so fucking mad.

Also a bit of a WTF to myself, I realized how much of an asshole I could be. An autistic kid that I have to sit next to in class constantly taps my shoulder, back, and head when I put my head down, or if he feels like asking me for help, or for any other reason he decides to interact with me. He won't talk to get someone's attention, he'll go over and make their damnedest attempt to touch the other person before making a request. Anyway, after repeatedly and politely asking him to stop touching me and to leave me alone, he does it some more and I see him smile. So I respond to this by pointing that out, and then calling him Spongebob. (His trigger word, any time anyone says it, he'll moan quietly and plug both of his ears with his fingers. Say it repeatedly, and he'll wave at you and ask you to stop saying it.) After doing that, he does what he always does, and I put my head down again, as the class is just reviewing stuff I already know concretely.

Then he taps on my head again. I don't get up, I just turn to him and say, "Dude, hands to yourself. If you touch my head, if you touch me again, I'll start saying that word again." After that he frowns, and never bothered me for the rest of the period. I felt a bit of guilt then, but mostly relief, and thought of a quote that made me WTF at myself even more, "The only language these animals understand is violence."

I am quite unsure what to do about myself and this experience. I like being nice, but being a dick just gets better results sometimes.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115514 on: December 17, 2016, 01:17:21 am »

Are you twelve?
Pages: 1 ... 7699 7700 [7701] 7702 7703 ... 11037