Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7677 7678 [7679] 7680 7681 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494318 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115170 on: December 08, 2016, 05:44:45 pm »

Terrors and tumors: the dangers of bioengineering.

That sounds fucking awesome, best title I ever wrote stole Englished. (English just got verbed, it means to steal words.)

Also, backward extrapolation of history to the level of detail of specific molecules is probably about as impossible as forward extrapolation. Heisenberg and chaos make the latter impossible, and the former is only merely incredibly infeasible to the point of effective impossibility.

As for why we can't just "make a new dinosaur" or "make some bacteria to do X": it's hard enough finding a gene in another organism to do what we want, but random mutation is a shot in the dark, and we don't have a good enough understanding of how genes turn into organisms to reliably predict what mutations/additions will do without observation. And that's just for a single mutation.

Remember, protein folding is part of the gene->organism thing. That makes it basically the hardest thing ever. Life is fucking complex.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115171 on: December 08, 2016, 05:56:49 pm »

Also, backward extrapolation of history to the level of detail of specific molecules is probably about as impossible as forward extrapolation. Heisenberg and chaos make the latter impossible, and the former is only merely incredibly infeasible to the point of effective impossibility.

It's probably not possible to extrapolate into the future, either. Any error whatsoever creates larger and larger errors as physical processes are iterated until the predicted future does match the actual future at all. This is why we can only model the weather about ten days into the future - not because we can't make somewhat accurate models of weather, but because non-detectable changes anywhere can easily cascade and change everything everywhere.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115172 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:17 pm »

Those meddling kids butterflies!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #115173 on: December 08, 2016, 06:17:21 pm »

It's probably not possible to extrapolate into the future, either. Any error whatsoever creates larger and larger errors as physical processes are iterated until the predicted future does match the actual future at all. This is why we can only model the weather about ten days into the future - not because we can't make somewhat accurate models of weather, but because non-detectable changes anywhere can easily cascade and change everything everywhere.
I mean it depends on the what you are looking at in the first place. Predicting the location of the really small stuff with anything resembling accuracy is a strick no-no (we can't even know where the particles are and where the are going now, let alone in the future or the past). Macro-scale events depend on what you are predicting. Some things are more likely than others... You are only really talking about realms of probability, which gets back to the main point: you've got a rough max amount of predictability defined by the uncertainty principle, and the more precisely you attempt to predict an event (and while not a hard rule, how large the event in question is) the less-and-less further you can predict.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115174 on: December 08, 2016, 06:56:33 pm »

Welp, this is apparently happening:
Loyalty card schemes enable retailers to track customers’ exact behaviour and offer personalised discounts with the aim of getting them to spend more. Such discounts could even be withheld from shoppers who regularly buy a lot. Unsurprisingly, consumer watchdogs are not happy.

In September, Migros, one of Switzerland’s largest retailers, launched a pilot project in three stores (Zurich, Aare and Geneva), according to a report in the NNZ am Sonntag. Customers with Cumulus loyalty cards would receive “personalised discounts” – either at the till or on their app – based on their consumer behaviour.
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115175 on: December 08, 2016, 08:36:06 pm »

Taking the ability to vote for senators away from the people is a "reform?"

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115176 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:54 pm »

I mean, yes? I'm not sure why the word 'reform' has to have positive connotations on your side of the pond.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115177 on: December 08, 2016, 09:04:00 pm »

I just don't get why it's so hard to make a nutritious algae that efficiently turns light into the calories we need, maybe even the protein.
Spoiler: XKCD, of course (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115178 on: December 08, 2016, 09:17:32 pm »

Ah... wow.  Normally I'm pretty good at remembering and dredging up XKCDs, or so I and my friends thought.  Maybe not.
That is amazingly spot on!

THAT SAID, the punchline actually doesn't work.  Google's HTML source is very heavily obfuscated.  Much as malware authors hide their work behind pointless or nested functions, or under a few layers of layman cryptography...  Except it's Google, so they do better than those jerks.

And yet ironically the beauty of Google's main page is literally it's simplicity, at least to the end user.  I'd say that's why it won in a crowded market of search engines, and basically became *the* search engine (besides Microsoft's Bing) (and China's Baidu).
It's actually lapsed in that sense, especially because of the... questionable foray into social media.  But then, despite the
Spoiler: mockery (click to show/hide)
it turns out that owning Youtube counts for a lot.
Not to mention all the other sites a Google account will let you into...  And that's all Google Plus, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115179 on: December 08, 2016, 09:20:43 pm »

That last one... There's no share button for 4chan. That is the problem.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115180 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:18 am »

I rather liked DHMIS.
What was your interpretation of it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:26:52 am by Solifuge »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115181 on: December 09, 2016, 12:41:38 am »

This too! ._.;

Mine involves physical violence and bedding-based emergency bandages.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115182 on: December 09, 2016, 01:20:53 am »

Animation exam was to take a little ball with a tail and create a simple jump loop in three hours. It was supposed to be a squirrel anyways, but it's just a ball with a couple of bones coming out of its butt.

We were given only 18 frames to do it in. Hard to make a nice bounce loop in only 18 frames, I think. Hope I didn't overdo it with the squash and stretch. Tail looked nice though, I think.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #115183 on: December 09, 2016, 01:38:59 am »

This too! ._.;

Mine involves physical violence and bedding-based emergency bandages.

Sensible and down-to-earth. Mine involves keeping an eye on the march of progress so that I'm first in line when it finally becomes feasible to outfit myself with a high-yield self-destruct device. MAD, yo.

I have a house full of dogs that bark really loud if literally anything (besides deer) can be heard that's slightly out of the ordinary.

Apparently deer aren't interesting anymore. They can eat all our saplings and loose hay and frollick with the horses and not a single fuck is given.

Also, my councilor has decided my depression is "major" and trauma related, not just a chemical imbalance. I don't know how to process that really.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:47:32 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #115184 on: December 09, 2016, 02:25:28 am »

Animation exam was to take a little ball with a tail and create a simple jump loop in three hours. It was supposed to be a squirrel anyways, but it's just a ball with a couple of bones coming out of its butt.

We were given only 18 frames to do it in. Hard to make a nice bounce loop in only 18 frames, I think. Hope I didn't overdo it with the squash and stretch. Tail looked nice though, I think.
You probably did great, judging by the other stuff I've seen you make!
Pages: 1 ... 7677 7678 [7679] 7680 7681 ... 11037