Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7675 7676 [7677] 7678 7679 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494308 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115140 on: December 08, 2016, 02:23:26 pm »

Hey guys let's invade Poland
Spoiler: ? ? ? (click to show/hide)
Oh, hold on, we talk about that stuff in another place away from Kot. You should join it.
Spoiler:  . . . (click to show/hide)
Do you hear the POLAND STRONK
This is the song of angry men
This is the music of the people
Who would like to be STRONK again
Spoiler:  ! ! ! (click to show/hide)

It's sort of embarrassing now, really, but here it goes.
You probably know how the names of the players who just died appear in UI of just about any multiplayer that allows you to kill people, and to the left is an icon of sorts displaying a weapon of murder? You know, something on that metaphorical canvas.
That's pretty much how I read it. FIRST BLOOD being a status symbol for the kill, Russia being the victim. I guess I'm just insecure when people talk about my country online.
Spoiler:  ) ) ) (click to show/hide)
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115142 on: December 08, 2016, 03:17:15 pm »

I decided that, since I bookmarked Sluggy Freelance 15 years ago an uncertain amount of time ago, I should try getting around to reading it. The archive doesn't work correctly, and the "next" button will occasionally skip about five years worth of strips.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #115143 on: December 08, 2016, 03:20:01 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/08/504547291/99-million-year-old-baby-dinosaurs-tail-encased-in-amber-surfaces-in-myanmar
:o
Sadly scientific review has shown that you can't actually extract DNA from ancient amber like that (previous results saying you could were basically all contamination cases) so no Jurassic park for us. :(

On the other hand it does let us put a really nice set of feathers and colors on some potential dinosaur species! :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #115144 on: December 08, 2016, 03:54:18 pm »

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK

WE HAVE FEATHERS

DINOSAUR FEATHERS

FUCK YEAH
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115145 on: December 08, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/08/504547291/99-million-year-old-baby-dinosaurs-tail-encased-in-amber-surfaces-in-myanmar
Sadly scientific review has shown that you can't actually extract DNA from ancient amber like that (previous results saying you could were basically all contamination cases) so no Jurassic park for us. :(

On the other hand it does let us put a really nice set of feathers and colors on some potential dinosaur species! :D
Awh, drat. Do the proteins not hold up? It's weird, because they do when frozen.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #115146 on: December 08, 2016, 03:58:59 pm »

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK

WE HAVE FEATHERS

DINOSAUR FEATHERS

FUCK YEAH
ees canon nao
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115147 on: December 08, 2016, 04:02:03 pm »

Awh, drat. Do the proteins not hold up? It's weird, because they do when frozen.
DNA is basically degenerate even in conditions that are stasis for macro structures. It only lasts about 500 years even in ideal conditions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115148 on: December 08, 2016, 04:21:33 pm »

So what you're saying is that we need a time machine.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115149 on: December 08, 2016, 04:22:50 pm »

We might be better off with an advanced simulation of the world that we can rewind far enough to determine their DNA.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115150 on: December 08, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »

Just don't sit on the box or our entire universe will be squished too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115151 on: December 08, 2016, 04:25:46 pm »

We could also build up physical examples such as that tail and build a new dinosaur as closely resembling the old one as possible. That's not possible yet, but it's more likely than other things.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115152 on: December 08, 2016, 04:28:52 pm »

We might be better off with an advanced simulation of the world that we can rewind far enough to determine their DNA.

How would that even be possible?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115153 on: December 08, 2016, 04:31:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure that discovering DNA that makes Jurassic-Park style dinosaurs is mostly a matter of extreme computation, followed by an unprecedented feat of nano-construction.
So... probably inevitable, but we aren't quite there yet.

In other news, I'm still confused that we can't just program new organic lifeforms yet.  I'm probably underestimating the computation necessary...  Folding@home is still a thing, one we should probably support, for simply analyzing proteins using distributed home computers (SETI-style).

I just don't get why it's so hard to make a nutritious algae that efficiently turns light into the calories we need, maybe even the protein.
But then, I don't get the economic factors involved in first world starvation either.  The world is big and complicated.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115154 on: December 08, 2016, 04:34:42 pm »

And full of terrors.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7675 7676 [7677] 7678 7679 ... 11037