Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7663 7664 [7665] 7666 7667 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465718 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114960 on: December 05, 2016, 08:11:19 pm »

I am not particularly liberal, I don't think, but I do believe mistreatment based on gender and orientation is unreasonable and generally a waste of time. It is more of a benefit for the mistreater, I believe. Something to kick at, something to be locked in valiant, righteous struggle with, et cetera. An excellent way to build a (rather rickety) resemblance of purpose and identity.
Mm, and that's pretty much politically moderate.

Also worth clarifying that 'liberal' simply means that you are open to new ideas and willing to discard old ones when appropriate. Not that you tolerate all ideas, or that you accept all ideas, but simply that you give them rational and honest consideration before accepting or rejecting them. Hence, liberalism is a political expression of that principle, advocating for liberty and egalitarianism.

Hence, in the U.S. (and in certain other places, hem) we have two large bodies of conservatives, one on the right and one on the left. This is a key piece of understanding the rift in the left: it is principally between leftists who hold to liberal ideals and leftists (predominantly progressives who have strayed too far into rhetoric and ideological dogmatism) who hold to conservative ideals (which is largely possible now because their ideas have had time to become established).

Forty, fifty, sixty years ago, the body politic of the left was largely unified because the more extreme elements were still very much on the outside and hadn't been radicalized nearly as much as they have been now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114961 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:14 pm »

Also worth clarifying that 'liberal' simply means that you are open to new ideas and willing to discard old ones when appropriate. Not that you tolerate all ideas, or that you accept all ideas, but simply that you give them rational and honest consideration before accepting or rejecting them. Hence, liberalism is a political expression of that principle, advocating for liberty and egalitarianism.
I thought liberals were those whose political agenda was the maximum liberty of the individual
What you define is a virtue? Open-mindedness, and pragmatism? I dunno

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #114962 on: December 05, 2016, 08:16:50 pm »

I thought liberals were those whose political agenda was the maximum liberty of the individual
Everybody, except for authoritarians and totalitarians, says that. Conservatives, liberals, libertarians, anarchists...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114963 on: December 05, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »

Everybody, except for authoritarians and totalitarians, says that. Conservatives, liberals, libertarians, anarchists...
nah
Different groups got different priorities and will not pay lip service to maximum individual liberty especially where their agenda conflicts in part or whole with maximum individual liberty agenda

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114964 on: December 05, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »

Regarding alt accounts: Nowhere in the forum guidelines does it state that you are not permitted to have an alt account, nor do I ever remember Toady making such a statement. The closest I've ever seen to that is when I reported an account that I stumbled upon which was copying the name of a prolific poster but with an extra invisible character. Even in this instance, Toady refrained from banning it on the basis that it might just have been an alt.

Moderator action is based on our IP addresses, not our forum names, and so there's no reason I can see for him to ban alts anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114965 on: December 05, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »

I was better suited for that environment in the last decade. I, naturally, have changed since, but so did 4chan. It is not what it was, although it is certainly what it is. If that would make sense. But then again, a lot of the internet is in a similar, odd process of turning a bit more pointlessly hostile per year. Of course, it does not help that a lot of children (well, many now moving well into their teens) have likely been taught how that is simply the way you act and behave online, always raising that bar. And that is a rather frightening thought.

I am not particularly liberal, I don't think, but I do believe mistreatment based on gender and orientation is unreasonable and generally a waste of time. It is more of a benefit for the mistreater, I believe. Something to kick at, something to be locked in valiant, righteous struggle with, et cetera. An excellent way to build a (rather rickety) resemblance of purpose and identity.
Mm, and that's pretty much politically moderate.

Hence, in the U.S. (and in certain other places, hem) we have two large bodies of conservatives, one on the right and one on the left. This is a key piece of understanding the rift in the left: it is principally between leftists who hold to liberal ideals and leftists (predominantly progressives who have strayed too far into rhetoric and ideological dogmatism) who hold to conservative ideals (which is largely possible now because their ideas have had time to become established).

Forty, fifty, sixty years ago, the body politic of the left was largely unified because the more extreme elements were still very much on the outside and hadn't been radicalized nearly as much as they have been now.

Perhaps. The interesting part is where that moderation clash with the strong borders, guillotine and increased military spending wishes I also bring along (as well as the sturdy welfare infrastructure and suspicion towards global business that confuses things further).
In my defence, I do base all my opinions on what I believe is the reasonable thing to do, and I only allow myself to keep an opinion I have invested some thought work of mine into. Of course, operative word being 'mine'. It is probably good that I do not have any political power...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114966 on: December 05, 2016, 09:46:33 pm »

Nah. I'd take an honest politician who supports what they think is right in a reasonable manner over most of these clowns and puppets.

--

Unrelated: An Islands match that isn't dull grush wars!?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #114968 on: December 05, 2016, 10:33:52 pm »

Liberal has multiple definitions that get blurred together.  It can mean:

1. A political ideology based on limited government, or at the very least weaker government.  Implies a stronger individual.
2. A political ideology characterized by openness, tolerance, and greater freedom of action for the individual.
3. A political ideology characterized progressiveness, AKA wanting to move forward.  As opposed to conservative (wanting the status quo), and reactionary (wanting to go back to the way things were before).
4. Leaning to the left politically, which is a huge bag of worms to define.  Probably but not certainly involves some combination of the above 4.  Might also contradict them too.  Depends on what counts as moderate in wherever you live, and what the big talking points are.
5. Generically, characterized by openness or relaxed limitations.  AKA, "a liberal sprinkle of sugar".

IN GENERAL, if you ask someone in the US they mean 3-4.  2 is usually included but that could be disputed depending on your view of the phrase "economic freedom".  According to definition 1 (which is I believe a somewhat outdated view), both American parties use a liberal ideology since they both want limitations on the government but in different senses.  Broadly speaking they also both agree with separation of power and all that.

An important point is that compared to other "western" nations, the American political spectrum is shifted right on most issues.  Remember, Obamacare is considered left leaning here, but in most nations on Earth it would be considered right wing politics.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114969 on: December 05, 2016, 11:04:44 pm »

Dillinger best John.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114970 on: December 05, 2016, 11:54:38 pm »

No, my john best john.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #114971 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:21 am »

Unrelated: An Islands match that isn't dull grush wars!?

Galley rushes are ridiculously high-skill at that level. I find that aspect overrules the repetitiveness, for me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #114973 on: December 06, 2016, 02:33:45 am »

deut 23:1 is transphobic as fuck, too

yaaaaay

c'mon, Mother Church, d'ya have to oppose everything I consider/am?
Quote from: Deut. 23:1
No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the LORD.
Wait, doesn't that mean even the Jews can't go to Heaven? You know, with their circumcisions and all...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114974 on: December 06, 2016, 02:38:47 am »

It is really hard for me to take Acupuncture seriously when it surrounds itself with so much hocus pocus.

If I took it seriously I would only conclude this: Did you know you can control your entire body with any other part of the body?
Pages: 1 ... 7663 7664 [7665] 7666 7667 ... 11037