Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7610 7611 [7612] 7613 7614 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489212 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114165 on: November 24, 2016, 10:58:17 pm »

I am assuming direct control of this line of discussion.
This sounds like an interesting discussion to have, however I'll have to ask you a question first: what is your definition of SJWs? It's a very vague term, and I don't want the discussion to die because we built up on different bases.
As another defender of the term SJW, I figure I should chime in. First thing: Politically charged terms are universally going to be maliciously misused by others, and so hopefully we can agree off the bat that it isn't a reason to stop using a political term. Some people assert that feminism is the belief that women should be able to tell men how to live their lives, and others assert that political religiosity means you think women deserve to be raped. Practically everything can and is given this treatment. Though there are not objective meanings to words and terms, there are functional ones, and I at least am coming into this with the idea that functionally determined definitions are more legitimate than purely rhetorical ones.

Thus, we come to SJW. Social Justice Warrior. It's not just one thing, but a set of behaviors. I would classify as an SJW those who advance the concept of (small letters) social justice and human rights through such manners as: 1. Conflation of personal and political vitriol. 2. Divisive advocacy; i.e. "oppression olympics". 3. Any of the typical gamut of extremist behaviors including but not limited to cultish behavior, enforcement of ideological purity, advancement of self-serving etymologies or definitions, and committing or fantasizing about violence against others. 4. Gatekeeping and/or hierarchizing other people.

The issue I take is not typically with any perceived radicalism of the ideal being advocated, but rather the behavior and surrounding advocacy of the person acting in this way. It is one thing to engage the political sphere, engage in even disruptive activism, and try to enact utter turn-arounds of society. It is quite another to, say, smash someone's face in with a baseball bat for asking the hard questions and then post on the internet about how your perception of the whole thing means they were the aggressor for asking instead of obeying your advocacy. Or more commonly, seeing someone else do something similar and then justifying it, armchair internet people being what they are.
You have to understand where I come from. Almost all my life I've lived in ultra-conservative places surrounded by people who can afford to use facebook all day. US culture has a nasty tendency to spread, and most people around here act like whatever's happening over there is happening to them. This is amplified by the tendency of news sites, facebook, and extremely religious people in general to exaggerate stuff. So they get all riled up over the 'straight-hating pedophile gays' and those 'extreme feminists' and the 'war on religion' and 'trans bathroom predators' and shit, and act like they're personally getting attacked because a group of people four countries away is getting rights and double-down on their hatred.

In the United States, civil rights movements and stuff can take these hits, because they've been established for a while. Over here, though, a lot of this stuff is still being born, so this "anti-SJW" backlash causes these movements to get curb-stomped mercilessly due to imaginary threats. It's the worst fucking kind of echo-chamber, because it's a nationwide echo chamber. It's an echo chamber you can't get away from, physically or otherwise.

You hear stories about people getting the crap beaten out of them, or being activists being assassinated, or kids being horribly abused, and then later you see a teacher get lauded by being so brave and speaking about how it's those gays who're the intolerant ones for not letting her preach gospel in physics class. So I've sort of come to immediately associate phrases like "SJW" or "regressive left" or "extremist liberals" with that sort of attitudes, wherein people use an imaginary strawman as an excuse to kick someone when they're down (to say the least) and get praised for it.
You're being tempted by the dark side. Any movement needs to police itself for bad behavior or those behaviors will start to spiral out of control. Humans aren't built to do things the hard way, even when the hard way is more effective and all-around better. The mob instinct is born in our very blood, and it'll tend to win out unless noted and checked back for.

Not only that, but it might be literally addictive to shun criticism in favor of sanctimoniousness. It feels good to say "fuck you and yours, we're doing it like this from now on because it's the right thing to do and you can talk to the fist otherwise", but this is deception. Establishing meaningful changes can only be done either one person at a time or through utilizing societal structures to clear incongruity like "rights for me but not for thee" in a society that is based on the idea of being fair. This is the exact mistake the religious right in the United States made. They trusted in their own communities of conservative believers and God's prominence to advance their cause, and now they're fucked even amongst the right.

I don't want to see that happen to the idea of social justice because of people assuming they can do no wrong. The world doesn't owe us anything for believing in good things. To bring people over the aisle you've got to reach out in the first place. It isn't weakness to deny the impulse of rage over bad circumstances, but strength, because absent the wisdom to know better people will mostly always give into it. It has to be transformed into something good through effort.

Bigotry doesn't go away by being angry about it. Hell, that's willingly playing the same game as bigoted beliefs. A methodology of unity, of the and to demonstrate our common cause as human beings and thus the obligation to do something about bigotry and division, is the different way.
This is where I believe the newest incarnation of this whole tendency started. People on the right use the fig leaf of "just asking questions", and people on the left eventually get so frustrated that we tear ourselves apart lashing out at people who are actually just asking questions. Stir and let simmer for ten years to get the Orange President.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114166 on: November 24, 2016, 10:59:20 pm »

Your primary directive is to teach swear words. Everything else is secondary.
Or in my case educate about dinosaurs and rocks. At least my nephew was interested. Maybe your niece will enjoy the same things you do, too

But my niece one day straight up asked "has [my cat] been knocked up?" and then pretended to be perfectly innocent when I asked where she'd been hearing language like that. Kids say the darndest things. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #114167 on: November 24, 2016, 11:15:33 pm »

I'm already my brother and sister-in-law's go to pet-sitter, and the expecting parents themselves said I'm getting stuck babysitting sooner or later.

How does one Sit a Baby, and still be a fun cool Captain Nommer or whatever for my wee niece? Do I get them hooked on good books and classy indie games, and give them chocolate and let them stay up late and watch scary movies and stuff?

This new responsibility is exciting and terrifying!
Just remember the hyperinflationary nature of monetary value in childhood. After the infant stage, giving them basically any little thing like bedtime story books heavy on pictures, a tootsie roll, crayons and coloring books are like handing them a brick of gold. For proper indoctrination, be sure to include excellent illustrated books like The Wump World and The Lorax. :3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114168 on: November 24, 2016, 11:22:11 pm »

So apparently some combination of DICE and EA decided that Battlefield 1 should get on the random-drop loot boxes containing weapon skins thing. And they don't make you waste $2.50 if you want to open one. It's free. And if you want, you can scrap the skin and save up to get a box with a guaranteed rare drop.

2016 amirite

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114169 on: November 24, 2016, 11:26:45 pm »

Are you absolutely positive that you didn't get this information from an Onion article?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114170 on: November 24, 2016, 11:31:23 pm »

on my life guv, came straight from the battlefield to deliver this news

And the balance post-beta actually feels pretty solid. I'm having a lot of fun with it, definitely worth picking up while it's 33% off. That might be the adrenaline high just a little bit though, coming down from one of those moments where you empty both guns and knife motherfuckers in a giant mess of enemies and mustard gas until they finally drop you. Good stuff.

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114171 on: November 24, 2016, 11:37:00 pm »

-snip-
Note to self: do not attempt to start a discussion when I should be sleeping. Do you mind if I reply in PM, tomorrow morning/afternoon?
Groovy.
Also WTF of the day: I saw your reply disappear, I swear, and I for a second I panicked and thought something had gone wrong and the thread was getting nuked by the Toad. Nearly gave me a heart attack.
That's just a glimpse of the timeline where 2016 didn't happen. Our ontological stability is pretty low these days, just ignore it and act unnatural.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #114172 on: November 24, 2016, 11:42:13 pm »

-snip-
Note to self: do not attempt to start a discussion when I should be sleeping. Do you mind if I reply in PM, tomorrow morning/afternoon?
I got called a true SJW from one of the dudes several months back when we were talking about stuff :O (I recall that was Shinotsa), and back then I had no idea what the abbreviation meant until he told me what it means. :P

And to make this related to the thread--I had two tabs open, and with the want of cutting and pasting a quote from another, I nearly replied here until I noticed I pasted in the wrong reply tab.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114173 on: November 24, 2016, 11:45:12 pm »

That's bullshit (proclaimed Capt. Obvious), you're about as far from the foaming-at-the-mouth extremes as one can get.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #114174 on: November 25, 2016, 12:30:39 am »

There are some "feminists" who accuse anybody who criticizes them or disagrees with them of being SEEEEXIIIIIISTS. This actually happens, believe it or not. Bad people exist in every circle. :P

For instance - my father is the literal opposite of sexism. He took, like, a submajor in Feminist Studies in some part of college or something? I don't remember. Anyway, there's this female coworker of his, and he raised some legitimate concerns about her work, and she tried to deflect them with THIS IS SEXISM, PATRIARCHY IN ACTION.

If when people say SJWs, they refer to people like that coworker, then I definitely agree with the label and backlash against them. You do not hijack the Social Justice Movement like that.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #114175 on: November 25, 2016, 12:33:52 am »

That's bullshit (proclaimed Capt. Obvious), you're about as far from the foaming-at-the-mouth extremes as one can get.
If that was to me, the context was complimentary :P Sorry I didn't write it well x_x
I mean, I recall he mentioned it in contrast to mentioning SJWs (when I brought up the topic of 'I've been hearing this a lot recently and can you explain what's going on), paraphrased because of tired memory and me being tired.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #114176 on: November 25, 2016, 01:01:27 am »

If that was to me, the context was complimentary :P Sorry I didn't write it well x_x
I think the compliment's emphasis was supposed to be on "true SJW", thus implying there are false ones, that probably referring to regressives.

* IcyTea31 dives back into his bunker to avoid the flammable topic.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114177 on: November 25, 2016, 01:18:52 am »

I think the compliment's emphasis was supposed to be on "true SJW", thus implying there are false ones, that probably referring to regressives.

* IcyTea31 dives back into his bunker to avoid the flammable topic.
Indeed.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114178 on: November 25, 2016, 01:50:02 am »

The BF1 skin thing is not perfect. You get a lot of duplicates, quality of many skins is shit (basically, more worn out wood with lots of scratches on metal and occasional bandage-tape there and here is a skin in BF1) and the style of their relase is really questionable, as all skins are already in and EA relases them in portions. I think someone made a video that it is realistically impossible to get all the skins in game and still pretty damn hard with money.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114179 on: November 25, 2016, 02:24:31 am »

BF1 weapon skins? What?
The BF1 skin thing is not perfect. You get a lot of duplicates, quality of many skins is shit (basically, more worn out wood with lots of scratches on metal and occasional bandage-tape there and here is a skin in BF1)
Well actually, that sounds kind of cool. At least it isn't completely all-out anachronistic blue camo or something.
Although they're hardly even pretending to be a WW1 game now anyway. I stand by my "dieselpunk" description of the game, seems to fit. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 7610 7611 [7612] 7613 7614 ... 11037