Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7599 7600 [7601] 7602 7603 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14486798 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114000 on: November 21, 2016, 08:59:22 pm »

But Neo, are you not interested in buying my All-Natural Snake Oil?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114001 on: November 21, 2016, 09:11:58 pm »

Straight from the snake, too.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114002 on: November 21, 2016, 09:17:58 pm »

Right, so you mean you have a problem with the wording of such ads, not what they actually mean, then?
That makes more sense. I thought you were being an IRL dorf and calling for as much environmental devastation as possible.

Five out of five dentists agree that this toothpaste is the best ever
Five out of five dentists also agree that this other toothpaste is the best ever

What they mean is "advertisements are always lies," I think.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114003 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:40 pm »

Remember folks: When confronting the reasonableness of the naturalistic fallacy and the proposition that natural == good, click your heels together three times and think of bedbugs. Then set whoever's trying to make the connection on fire, with a hearty rejoinder as to the pure natural essence of hominid combustion. Their screams are in fact screams of happiness and joy at your flaming largess, not anything like agonizing pain.just in case it wasn't obvious don't actually set anyone on fire, especially not for reasons noted above
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114004 on: November 21, 2016, 09:50:41 pm »

with my do it yourself book you too can learn to be a cynical bunghol who points out the flaws of pop media!  With my book, printed on all natural paper made from wild raised organic trees, youll learn clever quipping procedures.  Learn to:

-Decry the fallacy of democracy, wherein the lowest common denominator has an equal say and bread and circuses defeat futurist planning.
-Smarm at beloved tv commercials, like Axe Old Bay Deoderant
-Spot false advertisements through endorsements.  Remember, Michael Doesnt support that charity and Jarod foesnt eat that grinder
-Fart over cheesy jokes that go viral.  Big Bang Theory?  More like BIG Bust Hypothesis.

for just 3 easy payments of 39.99, less taxes, shipping, and an autograph fee you too can a master the rhetoric of internet charm!  WoW, so 4chan ate.

subject to immediate and unnotified revisions.  no refunds, monthly subscription required
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:55:50 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114005 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »

Frumple:
Well, it could get worse? I mean, 'this might cause cancer if you eat it for 30 years straight' is one thing, but I can imagine so much worse:

"Buy my Genuine 100% Natural & Organic Poison Ivy T. Radicans Massage Oil and Lube!"

Also the real shit like colloidal silver, and historical real shit like putting radiation in everything because it's new and sciency so it must be good for you
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114006 on: November 21, 2016, 10:18:28 pm »

No... I have an issue with what they mean. They use "Natural" to incite an idea in your head when in fact it is ENTIRELY meaningless.

"This medicine is all natural"

What does this tell the consumer?: This medicine is perfectly safe

What it actually means?: Nothing... on every level.
I don't really understand what you're on about, but I shall try to respond to this anyway. Wish me luck.

No, it doesn't "tell the consumer" that at all. It merely tells them that the product does not contain artificial ingredients, for the benefit of those who wish to avoid them. I don't really see how that counts as a devious lie? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114007 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:41 pm »

Ok, let me ask you.

Why would someone want to avoid artificial ingredients? AND by what measure is this "all natural product" not artificial and this "artificial product" not natural?

Or I'll answer it anyway...

There is no reason. They are playing up the perceived benefits of a "All natural" product even though there IS NONE. As well there is no measure for "All natural" so it is double dishonest.

So if there is no benefit to a natural product and if the level of "natural" cannot be measured... Why say it?

Something is dishonest when it is attempting to make you think something that is factually untrue.

---

This is why I have little issue with "All American Beer"... Because it is a self-fulfilling advertisement. If you buy into it, it is true.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:27:36 pm by Neonivek »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114008 on: November 21, 2016, 10:28:36 pm »

Uh, no. But whatever.
This argument is the kind that generally goes nowhere, judging from past experience, so I won't bother with it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114009 on: November 21, 2016, 10:31:07 pm »

Uh, no. But whatever.
This argument is the kind that generally goes nowhere, judging from past experience, so I won't bother with it.

Ok let me see what you are saying here

"Why would someone want to avoid artificial ingredients": No
"What measure is blah blah not natural?": No
"Why say it?": No

Yeah I see why this argument goes nowhere :P

Dozebôm Lolumzalės

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #114010 on: November 21, 2016, 10:31:22 pm »

What do you mean? ???
Do you prefer to buy products that are as harmful to the environment as possible?

Yoink, it would appear that you do not understand the naturalistic fallacy.

Quote from: not the naturalistic fallacy
We shouldn't do X because it would harm the environment.

Quote from: the naturalistic fallacy
X is good because it occurs naturally; i.e., it is not synthetic or artificial.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #114011 on: November 21, 2016, 10:36:05 pm »

Ok, let me ask you.

Why would someone want to avoid artificial ingredients? AND by what measure is this "all natural product" not artificial and this "artificial product" not natural?

Or I'll answer it anyway...

There is no reason. They are playing up the perceived benefits of a "All natural" product even though there IS NONE. As well there is no measure for "All natural" so it is double dishonest.

So if there is no benefit to a natural product and if the level of "natural" cannot be measured... Why say it?

Something is dishonest when it is attempting to make you think something that is factually untrue.

---

This is why I have little issue with "All American Beer"... Because it is a self-fulfilling advertisement. If you buy into it, it is true.
My answer is that artificial ingredients are new.  Food research, unreliable as it is, constantly turns up new shit that artificial ingredients does.  Sometimes its even right.  Remember, we live in a world where the preservatives in bacon supposedly cause cancer.

Whereas we've been eating, I want to say... bananas?... since the dawn of time.  If bananas cut our lifespan down to 60 at best, we would know by now.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114012 on: November 21, 2016, 10:38:39 pm »

My answer is that artificial ingredients are new

Are you SUUURE about that?

Dozebôm Lolumzalės

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #114013 on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:48 pm »

EAT THE GEL, IT'S FINE FOR YOU

IT'S JUST A BIT EXPERIMENTAL

DID YOU NEED THAT ORGAN?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114014 on: November 21, 2016, 10:53:54 pm »

Except 'natural' products can still be produced using artificial ones, like, say, bleach, or pesticides.

Or, on a more personal basis:

Lactose is natural. Feels like hell* if I eat something that contains much of it. Feels like heck if I eat something that contains a little of it.

* Imagine, if you will, intense "oh god I'm dying"-level stomach pain that lasts a couple seconds, goes away for a couple seconds, comes back, goes away, etc, plus gas, and then eventually lots of diarrhea, after which it stops feeling (as much) like you're going to die. As far as I know, it cannot actually cause death, it's just very painful and unpleasant.

There's also a naturally occurring chemical that most people have no problem processing, which is in a variety of foods naturally, and is listed on no labels and has no warnings for it, but which causes my throat to swell up if I ingest even a minuscule amount of it. Oh, and it's also added to some products or ends up in them due to how they're prepared.
Pages: 1 ... 7599 7600 [7601] 7602 7603 ... 11037