Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7582 7583 [7584] 7585 7586 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14451858 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113745 on: November 17, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »

I recall reading about this thing somewhere.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113746 on: November 17, 2016, 09:58:07 pm »

But...I don't think they're doing that?
I... think they were? Fairly explicitly, actually. Current thread of discussion started with talking about not being aware of a possible latent bisexuality, that appeared to be at least partially caused by a previous conviction of asexuality. That'd be an example of an unknown known (the bisexuality, which the hormones et al were apparently pretty aware of) being suppressed by a self-categorization (the asexuality). It seems to be sliding towards a known known, but that previous categorization quite likely got in the way of it, slowed it down or delayed the realization, possibly by quite a bit.

And it's basically something we know but don't know we know, mech. A fairly mundane example would be an organization having a particular bit of data on someone tucked away in a cabinet somewhere, without anything else pointing to its existence. The organization has the information, they just don't know they have it. Another would be just stuff like test taking -- being unable to recall something, possibly even that you studied it at all, but then going a series of problems before being able to recall it again; the information didn't take a jaunt out into the aether during the interim, but you weren't aware of what it was. Biology, it probably comes up the most with sensory stuff, being subconsciously aware of this or that without being consciously aware. Unidentified gender identity mismatch is another fairly common expression -- the body/brain knows the problem, but it's not recognized. Stuff like that. Things you're aware of, but have no actual cognizance that you are.

Least if I'm remember everything correctly. I don't even recall where I last ran into something approach a formal treatment of the heuristic, so it's very possible I'm not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113747 on: November 17, 2016, 10:03:31 pm »

I have an issue with identity-boxes, but only with gender. For sexuality, I'm using "bisexual" simply to refer to the fact that I have had crushes on both boys and girls. It's still open to revision, if I determine that it is not a crush. Additionally, I don't think of my sexuality as that important, while I feel the need to pin down my gender. (My guess? I got over unsure-about-sexuality when I was younger, and going through crushes, but I haven't gotten over unsure-about-gender yet.)

And if I have to choose a box, what better box than bisexuality? It just means "I may or may not be attracted to any given person." It carries no restrictions.

But...I don't think they're doing that?
I... think they were? Fairly explicitly, actually. Current thread of discussion started with talking about not being aware of a possible latent bisexuality, that appeared to be at least partially caused by a previous conviction of asexuality. That'd be an example of an unknown known (the bisexuality, which the hormones et al were apparently pretty aware of) being suppressed by a self-categorization (the asexuality). It seems to be sliding towards a known known, but that previous categorization quite likely got in the way of it, slowed it down or delayed the realization, possibly by quite a bit.

That's a good analysis - if I am in fact bisexual. Asexuality isn't off the table yet. A variety of other factors could be inducing a pseudo-crush or whatnot. But I've learned my lesson, and I will try to react to each situation based on how I really feel, not how I tell myself I feel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113748 on: November 17, 2016, 10:31:04 pm »

What does you being asocial have to do with this conversation?

(It sounds sarcastic but I'm sincere)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113749 on: November 17, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »

Quite a bit. Both the asocial and the asexual parts are tips of a single iceberg - AFAICT, I have been convincing myself that I do not need or want any social interaction. I do not really know why; as I conjectured, it could be a coping mechanism for being utterly incapable of interaction. I was like that when I was younger; I really couldn't talk to people. And so I told myself that it didn't matter; sour grapes and all that.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113750 on: November 17, 2016, 10:50:37 pm »

I just learned that 1L = 10cm3

How did I not know this?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113751 on: November 17, 2016, 11:17:14 pm »

Because it's false. It's (10cm)3, or 1000cm3.
Sigtext!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113752 on: November 17, 2016, 11:21:24 pm »

That too!

Either my maths education was awful or I stopped paying attention.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113753 on: November 17, 2016, 11:39:40 pm »

Or you lived in AMERICA AND WERE NOT TAINTED BY COMMIE METRIC LIES

My game giveaway

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113754 on: November 17, 2016, 11:45:45 pm »

Viva la Decimal!
Sigtext!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113755 on: November 17, 2016, 11:48:08 pm »

In honesty though, do metric-users even commonly use a measurement between a meter and a centimeter? Like yeah a foot is stupid measurement but it's a reasonable size.

My game giveaway

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113756 on: November 17, 2016, 11:49:27 pm »

Any number of centimeters are equal in percentage to how much of a meter they are, which is how I presume they think of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113757 on: November 18, 2016, 12:12:05 am »

In honesty though, do metric-users even commonly use a measurement between a meter and a centimeter? Like yeah a foot is stupid measurement but it's a reasonable size.

What is a decimeter, Alex?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113758 on: November 18, 2016, 12:14:10 am »

Something you have but don't use for two hundred.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113759 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:33 am »

Also something that doesn't really make much sense because why would a person's height be measured in double digits for a thousand.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7582 7583 [7584] 7585 7586 ... 11040