Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7581 7582 [7583] 7584 7585 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454230 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113730 on: November 17, 2016, 08:48:24 pm »

Could always make a statue to marry, then.

What are we Greek?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113731 on: November 17, 2016, 08:56:36 pm »

There is not nearly enough oil involved in this scenario for us to be greek.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113732 on: November 17, 2016, 08:59:09 pm »

Jesus christ in a cracker, Doz. You cannot meaningfully rate human interaction on a scale.

Just run with it.

(I was rating my gender, not my sexuality, on a scale, but your point stands.)

Oh, fine, fine. I feel an intense need to partition and quantify everything about myself, but I will force myself to refrain from doing so. Even though not knowing aaaaaaaugh! feels pretty bad, it's a useful skill.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113733 on: November 17, 2016, 09:05:46 pm »

You can know yourself, but doing so though this method is doomed to failure and worse, it can increase your self-ignorance. The world can be understood through categorization and empiricism, but a human mind is neither well-categorized or particularly empirical to its owner. You're not gonna fit in the box. You might identify your dominant feelings or what you want to believe is true, but this will cause suppression of your dissenting side and unknown knowns.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113734 on: November 17, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »

...Why are we discouraging this, again???
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113735 on: November 17, 2016, 09:11:39 pm »

I am not discouraging Doz's crush, I'm discouraging a bad form of self-analysis.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113736 on: November 17, 2016, 09:12:40 pm »

I am not discouraging Doz's crush, I'm discouraging a bad form of self-analysis.
Why is it bad?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113737 on: November 17, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »

Why is it bad?

Also sincerely curious.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113738 on: November 17, 2016, 09:17:05 pm »

I don't think I've ever encountered a situation where I'd be upset at eating pizza.
I know how that feels. I hate it when someone (usually family) insists on me eating something, and does their best to guilt me into doing it otherwise.
Ugh, always horrible.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113739 on: November 17, 2016, 09:27:32 pm »

Why is it bad?

Also sincerely curious.
Eh? MSH actually already answered that. Subconscious suppression of inner dissension and unknown knowns. Basically when you box yourself you start thinking the box is real and ignoring all those parts that didn't actually fit, often unintentionally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113740 on: November 17, 2016, 09:35:21 pm »

People generally don't know what "unknown knowns" are, methinks. Personally, I went, "that's not one of the three things Rumsfeld named... Is it real? Let me google it." Considering I only know the other three (known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns) because of Donald Rumsfeld using them once, I doubt most people too young to remember or pay attention to the Bush administration in those days would know those ones either.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113741 on: November 17, 2016, 09:39:26 pm »

I don't think I've ever encountered a situation where I'd be upset at eating pizza.
I know how that feels. I hate it when someone (usually family) insists on me eating something, and does their best to guilt me into doing it otherwise.
Ugh, always horrible.

Honestly I'm more concerned that the pizza was so old rather than how regular pizza is unhealthy.

Also, Shadowlord, bless me with your knowledge, what the blazes is an unknown known, thats an oxymoron if i've ever heard one
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113742 on: November 17, 2016, 09:42:38 pm »

Why is it bad?

Also sincerely curious.
Eh? MSH actually already answered that. Subconscious suppression of inner dissension and unknown knowns. Basically when you box yourself you start thinking the box is real and ignoring all those parts that didn't actually fit, often unintentionally.
But...I don't think they're doing that?
Sigtext

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113743 on: November 17, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

A Known Unknown I think would be something we recognise as existing but don't understand, like the universe. An Unknown known might be something we think we know everything about but it has hidden depths. Like if we discovered a new application for water.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113744 on: November 17, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »

Or, if you want to believe Zizek (I don't, particularly, since he seems to lean heavily on Freud, who was a crackpot), "the things we don't know that we know."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 7581 7582 [7583] 7584 7585 ... 11040