Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7580 7581 [7582] 7583 7584 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456661 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113715 on: November 17, 2016, 12:45:09 pm »

It's also called something new now because of stigma.
Electroconvulsive therapy.

It's only used as a last resort to very serious conditions and only with informed consent.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113716 on: November 17, 2016, 01:27:20 pm »

I think I was misunderstood when I used the term 'old mental hospital'. The hospital in question started working in 1930 and was only phased out in recent years. It was a modern hospital where people were actually treated so they could return to society, not some bedlam that would torture patients until they die. It's probably not haunted.

Mid-20th century did have a lot of lobotomies. The Nordics particularly were all over that shit until the 60s. Finland specifically apparently did 1550 of which 3 to 5 percent died specifically because of the procedure. So that might be a good source of angry ghosts (say, the metaphorically excised portion of a lobotomized patient forever interred in the walls of an asylum, watching themselves waste away and die from afar).

"shock" therapy is actually a proven medically helpful thing now. It's not actually painful. Pretty sure they use anesthesia and relaxants or something as well with it. It's also called something new now because of stigma. Listened to a doctor on NPR who specializes in it.

It apparently is pretty decent at alleviating depression for a while. Then again so is sleep deprivation.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113717 on: November 17, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »

My WTF is people having an apparently serious discussion about ghosts haunting (former) hospitals.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113718 on: November 17, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »

1 in 20 died

yes, Halloween is best spent at city hall
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113719 on: November 17, 2016, 05:59:39 pm »

A couple WTFs. While driving home, my mom almost hit a guy jaywalking across a very busy road. Guy was wearing dark clothes, and my mom barely noticed him before avoiding hitting him. A few minutes later, a mother with four kids, all wearing dark clothing, was also cutting across an even busier highway. At one point, one of her kids was nearly hit while playing in the street; the mother yelled at the driver. Almost home, we barely avoided several idiots in dark clothing, cutting through traffic on bicycles. Finally on our street, we're almost hit by a car going the other way, because they swerved to avoid a group of people nearly in the road.

The other WTF. Yesterday, I started with squats. This morning, I did lifts using two gallon-jugs of water as weights. My thighs still hurt from the squats. My arms aren't sore in the slightest from lifting water - in fact they feel better than before.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #113720 on: November 17, 2016, 06:14:24 pm »

Some kids on the bus I ride used bonsai as a euphemism for, well. I'd tell you but that'd defeat the point of a euphemism

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113721 on: November 17, 2016, 06:26:11 pm »

A bush?  Id use it for either a sucker punch, using a surprise water balloon, or a bush.  Like maybe some kind of weird sexual activity.  Hard to tell.

I once knew somebody who tried to make 'gungywamp' slang for ... something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gungywamp
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113722 on: November 17, 2016, 06:36:44 pm »

I wanted to make a fairly healthy rice meal for dinner. My parents insist I eat three leftover slices of pizza they found in the freezer from pizza we ordered nearly a month ago.

I don't think I've ever encountered a situation where I'd be upset at eating pizza.

Also, trying to sign up for health insurance through my job. Finally, open enrollment is here. Except what it says in the instruction and what it says on my HR account page don't match up and it seems impossible to sign up for health insurance.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113723 on: November 17, 2016, 07:44:09 pm »

In light of recent events and feels... I am pretty sure I'm bisexual.

This doesn't feel bad, honestly. It's unlikely to develop into anything - even if it were a girlcrush, there's no way I'd ever work up the courage to ask them out, and I'm not sure if I have the time or interest in dating. And given that the chance of him being non-hetero are minimal, I'd bet a million dollars on this never becoming anything. But it's nice to know, and it's also nice to look at him and be around him. *shysmile*

Interestingly, assuming Hypothesis G-C (genderfluid; the G is for gender and C is for 3rd) is correct, I would rank myself as

Code: [Select]
Male:   ---O------
Female: -O--------

at the time. This would imply that my sexuality is independent of my instantaneous gender-inclination-whatsit, if G-C is true. (If G-C is false, then this is irrelevant.)

Edit: On second thought, this might belong in the G/S thread? It was kind of a wtf moment for me when I realized though. My guesses were hetero or asexual, I never predicted this.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:45:58 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113724 on: November 17, 2016, 08:09:35 pm »

Romantic attraction is a thing btw. So you may be biromantic and asexual.

In any case, Congratulations on your self discovery!
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113725 on: November 17, 2016, 08:15:03 pm »

Jesus christ in a cracker, Doz. You cannot meaningfully rate human interaction on a scale.

Just run with it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113726 on: November 17, 2016, 08:25:21 pm »

Remember that the penis is a tool of self expression!  It is art!  it is living glory of man!

... ...  and now im reminded of that guy who turned abstinent because he didnt realize vaginas had hair and it grossed him out
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113727 on: November 17, 2016, 08:38:54 pm »

... that may be the worst reason to turn abstinent I've seen since the invention of a straight razor.

Well. One of. Top... top thousand. Let's call it somewhere in the top thousand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113728 on: November 17, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »

Well, I cant for the life remember his name, but he admired greek statues of naked womens and then married one.

then he found out that there was a jungle down there and decided to nope right out.  forever.

this was before razors.

And I did a quick internet search, but it turns out that searching PUBIC HAIR GREEK STATUE CHASTITY doesnt really turn up anything good.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113729 on: November 17, 2016, 08:47:09 pm »

Could always make a statue to marry, then.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 7580 7581 [7582] 7583 7584 ... 11040