Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7568 7569 [7570] 7571 7572 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14464443 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113535 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:25 pm »

No, no, my friend. FTFE. Fuck the Fourth Estate. We might still be able to get something out of politics but there needs to <purged>

... I keep running into problems figuring out how to express proper courses of action there without tripping up on the forum guidelines against advocating for violence. Mostly because I'm not quite sure what's to be done that doesn't involve things that look suspiciously like impalement.
That goes without saying. There are no vermin worse than bad journalists. If anything were to survive total atomic annihilation it'd be tabloid writers, and they'd probably be the ones who caused it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113536 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:57 pm »

Chinese room problem.
It's not a problem. Any single neuron in our body has no idea about the whole mind that it helps to create, yes it doesn't mean that the whole mind doesn't have "consciousness".

Again, if it's a good enough imitation, from all angles of approach, it's functionally indistinguishable from the real deal.
._.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113537 on: November 14, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »

Chinese room problem.
It's not a problem. Any single neuron in our body has no idea about the whole mind that it helps to create, yes it doesn't mean that the whole mind doesn't have "consciousness".

Again, if it's a good enough imitation, from all angles of approach, it's functionally indistinguishable from the real deal.

Like 'any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic,' right?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113538 on: November 14, 2016, 09:33:39 pm »

also indistinguishable from a big gun. Seems relevant when talking about AI.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113539 on: November 14, 2016, 09:34:59 pm »

Chinese room problem.

I would argue that every neuron does

I call it genetic code

:P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113540 on: November 14, 2016, 09:37:02 pm »

I had a long response post but lost it because my wifi is a bastard.

Short version: Without a theory of consciousness, positions deriving from its nature are all conjecture. We need to ensure we have such a theory before the advent of a strong AI, or it's gonna be bad trying to wing it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113541 on: November 14, 2016, 09:52:53 pm »

Just saw a Christmas themed commercial..... it's not even Thanksgiving yet....

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113542 on: November 14, 2016, 09:54:57 pm »

Chinese room problem.

I would argue that every neuron does

I call it genetic code

:P
I wasn't aware that genetically identical twins shared their consciousness.

Short version: Without a theory of consciousness, positions deriving from its nature are all conjecture. We need to ensure we have such a theory before the advent of a strong AI, or it's gonna be bad trying to wing it.
There is no theory of consciousness and probably will never be as anything other than "counting angels on a pin" exercise, because consciousness is, most likely, an illusion.

I mean, there's a whole "philosophical zombie" concept that clearly shows that you could remove it without any apparent physical consequences. Simple application of Occam's razor makes consciousness go away.

And I predict that we're totally going to wing strong AI, and we will make weak AI's pay for it!
._.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113543 on: November 14, 2016, 09:57:27 pm »

Nah, see...  If we do it right, it's gonna be too sentient (ie 2000 Space Odyssey, Portal, Terminator). Best we wing it for now and stick with subpar AI. They can't kill you if their pathfinding causes too much lag.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113544 on: November 14, 2016, 09:58:56 pm »

The p-zombie concept posits a loss of qualia, not of consciousness. The two may be inseparable, thus making any p-zombie a vegetable rather than a hidden automaton.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113545 on: November 14, 2016, 10:04:34 pm »

Oh hey! I get some thoughts about consciousness being an illusion, and go onto the Bays to post about it. The Bays ninjaed me. Then I read this, and think "hmm, philosophical zombies are relevant." Then Sergarr ninjaed me.

IT'S SO FREAKY
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #113546 on: November 14, 2016, 10:05:30 pm »

The p-zombie concept posits a loss of qualia, not of consciousness. The two may be inseparable, thus making any p-zombie a vegetable rather than a hidden automaton.

Erm, no? Neither qualia nor consciousness is necessary to move a meatbody around and make mouthnoises.

Also I like the gensym comparison to qualia.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:08:05 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113547 on: November 14, 2016, 10:06:46 pm »

Nah, see...  If we do it right, it's gonna be too sentient (ie 2000 Space Odyssey, Portal, Terminator). Best we wing it for now and stick with subpar AI. They can't kill you if their pathfinding causes too much lag.

http://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_features/alpha.html

This was in the science thread months ago.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113548 on: November 14, 2016, 11:22:42 pm »

If the singularity happened and Steve the God Machine was like 'Hey, so humans are a danger to themselves, and more importantly, me. So their population needs to drop by about 60% for sustainability', I'd frankly be cool with it. Not least because I live in a very underpopulated country.

But if Steve went 'Hmm, I think I can maximise efficiency by just getting rid of all this green stuff altogether and turning the world into a factory', that would cause me some concerns.

Someone somewhere recommended a book called 'Superintelligence' by Nick Bostrom. Haven't gotten around to reading it, but if anyone else has please tell me what it was like.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113549 on: November 15, 2016, 12:39:05 am »

It was the worst book about brain damaged puppy antics I've never read. None of the characters survived the first chapter. Half their corpses didn't make it past the second. Don't think too hard about what happened in the third and subsequent ones.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 7568 7569 [7570] 7571 7572 ... 11040