Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7562 7563 [7564] 7565 7566 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14469422 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113445 on: November 13, 2016, 07:39:44 pm »

Further, as much as it's rather galling to see him cosy up to a threat to European stability, he hasn't made a to western Europe that he is now breaking.

You're right, he hasn't. But as President, he'll represent the USA, which did make the commitment in NATO's Article 5.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113446 on: November 13, 2016, 07:44:32 pm »

Sure, but you seem to be thinking trump can be trusted to follow up on a contractual promise, or anything like one. Considering the amount of lawsuits he's ate specifically because he didn't do that, uh...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113447 on: November 13, 2016, 07:51:59 pm »

Further, as much as it's rather galling to see him cosy up to a threat to European stability, he hasn't made a to western Europe that he is now breaking.

You're right, he hasn't. But as President, he'll represent the USA, which did make the commitment in NATO's Article 5.
It's pretty easy to weasel out of any military action to assist the attacked country in NATO, because Article 5 actually doesn't mandate any:
“The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognized by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.
See this "including the use of armed force" bit?
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113448 on: November 13, 2016, 07:53:31 pm »

I can't fathom military advisors and think tanks agreeing with any proposal to withdraw from NATO. I really can't see that happenening. Reduced funding, and harder negotiations with the EU to make them spend more, likely, but getting out of NATO altogether? I just can't see that really happening.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113449 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:46 pm »

It wouldn't make him any friends. Military adventurism interventionism is a cornerstone of neocon foreign policy -- they're not as strong as they were when they owned the White House under Dubya, but they're still there. And if he goes beyond NATO and tries to cut aid to Israel, AIPAC'll ensure that Dem challengers' campaigns get all the shekels come 2018 and 2020.

And good fuckin' gods, never thought I'd ever be thankful for the neocons or the Israel lobby sticking their respective grubby hands into our foreign policy, but reneging on our NATO obligations would be monumentally stupid.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113450 on: November 13, 2016, 10:52:38 pm »

And good fuckin' gods, never thought I'd ever be thankful for the neocons or the Israel lobby sticking their respective grubby hands into our foreign policy, but reneging on our NATO obligations would be monumentally stupid.
It's all about moderation :P An extreme either way tends to be bad, so when you have one extreme threatening, you tend to be grateful for the other.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113451 on: November 13, 2016, 11:17:55 pm »

... uh, no, this isn't one extreme against another. It's two different sorts of the same type just happening to cancel each other out... maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113452 on: November 14, 2016, 12:09:41 am »

Wow, interesting discussion of cashiers/checkouts I unintentionally spawned back there.
I'd respond to it all more probably, but well... I'm pretty tired from a long, hot day of sorta-working and there's a lot of responding to do. :-[
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #113453 on: November 14, 2016, 01:13:23 am »

I would like to (again) advise against discussing politics in WTF thread. I get it, they're WTF material lately and cause a wide range of emotions in people, but PLEASE keep the politics in designated threads.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113454 on: November 14, 2016, 04:41:24 am »

??? Apparently somebody stole my fuse???

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #113455 on: November 14, 2016, 04:50:32 am »

I would like to (again) advise against discussing politics in WTF thread. I get it, they're WTF material lately and cause a wide range of emotions in people, but PLEASE keep the politics in designated threads.
Threads like, say, Ameripol.

Oh wait.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113456 on: November 14, 2016, 04:51:47 am »

What's that "oh wait" about? It's not still locked.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #113457 on: November 14, 2016, 05:12:18 am »

Let's just say if Ameripol was a location, Toady One would be crouched enarby with a ban rifle.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113458 on: November 14, 2016, 05:38:55 am »

what was capcom thinking when they made the dunes area

the camera was already the worst thing about monster hunter and the first zone is just a giant fucking sand dune that gets in the way of trying to see fucking anything

4th gen in general just has the weakest maps imo

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #113459 on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:37 am »

Let's just say if Ameripol was a location, Toady One would be crouched enarby with a ban rifle.

Moderation is in place for a reason, you know. Don't want a ban, keep it civil. That's been established for a long time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:22:11 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 7562 7563 [7564] 7565 7566 ... 11037