Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7521 7522 [7523] 7524 7525 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479058 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112830 on: November 07, 2016, 09:59:18 am »

I was  under the impression that modern DST still existed because it meant it would be daylight at school bus stops in the morning during the winter months.

Of course, that begs the question of why school is so goddamn early, but hey.
I know right?  TOO EARLY :x
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112831 on: November 07, 2016, 10:10:11 am »

Early school time's mostly for the parents, so far as I'm aware. Buses and whatnot handle a lot of the logistics but they also don't, and parents tend to have stuff to do in the morning besides just deal with their kid's before-school routine. Later school starts, less time said parents have to allocate to other stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112832 on: November 07, 2016, 12:36:14 pm »

Yeah but as a student I was barely cognitive at 7:30 in the morning.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112833 on: November 07, 2016, 12:38:31 pm »

Not for the students :3

Actually pretty sure there's been more than one study that so far as (healthy, at least) sleeping patterns go most school schedules are ruddy horrible for developing kids. Pretty substantial mismatch with what biology is trying to do to them, or something along those lines.
Ask not!
Ask!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112834 on: November 07, 2016, 12:42:38 pm »

So I have 3 credits left over before I graduate open to take basically whatever

What should I take
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112835 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:44 pm »

Again, DST only goes forward.
When you have daylight in the morning at the bus stop, that is specifically the months when DST isn't happening.
Stop celebrating the absence of a shit system.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112836 on: November 07, 2016, 12:54:40 pm »

What should I take
What are your options?
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112837 on: November 07, 2016, 12:57:37 pm »

Find some weird shit or take a class with your friends. One of the best courses I took in college was Disaster Anthropology. Had nothing do do with my major. Wrote a ten page report on the rational response to the risk of meteorite impact, some of my best work.

Conversely, the class I most wanted to take that I never did was Intro to Artificial Intelligence, because it ceased to exist.

I believe it was RedKing who said he once took a course called "Immortality" that had no description, and turned out to be about the various cultural attitudes towards the concept. The idea of immortality is one of those anthropological universals, apparently.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:59:23 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112838 on: November 07, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »

What should I take
What are your options?

Well, basically any 100 or 200 level course that doesn't have prerequisites.  Its a university, so they offer quite a bit of things.

Right now my other four classes are two economics classes, environmental economics and international economics, to finish off the major, an art class because I need a four credit class, and that means either art or lab science.  My last pick was an introductory game design class, because why not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112839 on: November 07, 2016, 01:14:01 pm »

Huh. If you're doing economics stuff, maybe a round of accounting? Something spreadsheet heavy. Logic or rhetoric class if they've got it. Maybe make a list, stick into random.org/a randomizer, hit the button a few times and go with what ends up on top. Intro culinary course to pick up some cooking skills?
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112840 on: November 07, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »

If you're doing economics, you should go get a volunteer job at the food bank for the poor, or at a homeless shelter, and think of a clever way to turn that into credits. Something along the lines of 'I don't want to be accused in my future career of being an ivory tower economist'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112841 on: November 07, 2016, 02:07:03 pm »

If you're doing economics, you should go get a volunteer job at the food bank for the poor, or at a homeless shelter, and think of a clever way to turn that into credits. Something along the lines of 'I don't want to be accused in my future career of being an ivory tower economist'.
I don't think that's how that works.

Unless they have social science.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112842 on: November 07, 2016, 02:12:11 pm »

It... could? Even just limiting itself to economics. It'd take more than mart's bit, but the economics and logistics of non-profit organizations (such as those normally supporting food banks, homeless shelters, etc.) are as much a part of what your training covers as for-profit ones. Getting into contact with a local one, talking them into letting you observe (and maybe assist) with record keeping and fiscal organization, as well as getting a handle on what the decisions involved mean on the practical side of things (i.e. observing/participating in normal volunteer work, tracking what you see change), could definitely be something you could turn into credit hours, part of a lab or self-study thing.

Practical economics and business handling doesn't often get much attention from lower level courses (they're building the foundations for you to understand and work with that sort of thing), but it's not like there's not room for it.
Ask not!
Ask!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112843 on: November 07, 2016, 03:02:00 pm »

Huh. If you're doing economics stuff, maybe a round of accounting? Something spreadsheet heavy. Logic or rhetoric class if they've got it. Maybe make a list, stick into random.org/a randomizer, hit the button a few times and go with what ends up on top. Intro culinary course to pick up some cooking skills?

I'm actually taking accounting this semester, as part of a business minor.  Culinary would be fun, but they don't offer that here.

Its an interesting idea.  I do know you can get credit for having an internship, but I'm not sure about pure volunteer work, I'd have to ask around.

There is also an econ class centered around non-profits.  Writing intensive class tho.

Political science is an option.  I live in the DC area, and will probably end up working government at some point anyway.

There's also women's studies, for shits and giggles.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112844 on: November 07, 2016, 03:21:10 pm »

Some things people around the world eats weirds me out.
Although.. I wonder how it tastes.. I am sort of..
Disgusted but at the same time would like to taste it at some point. If that makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 7521 7522 [7523] 7524 7525 ... 11037