Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7520 7521 [7522] 7523 7524 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479869 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112815 on: November 07, 2016, 08:43:26 am »

Makes my life a heck of a lot easier, biking to work at dawn is a lot nicer than biking to work in the pitch dark.  True it'll only let me get to work in the daylight for another month or so but till then I'm happy!
Nom nom nom

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #112816 on: November 07, 2016, 08:46:08 am »

anyone who thinks dst is a good idea needs to sit the fuck down and think critically for two fucking seconds about what dst is actually doing

spoilers: it's literally fucking nothing

you can't change the axial tilt of earth

time as we know it is arbitrary and fake and you aren't actually getting any more or less daytime, you're just making everyone's lives harder for a week or two twice a year

...Uh.

You are aware DST was invented at a time when electric lighting didn't exist and daylight was the all-fucking-powerful god that determined what could and could not be done? Back in the day it made perfect sense to change the time in order to accommodate for the tilt. Hell, last week it was dark when I went to work, now it's pleasantly light when I go to work- not only does it make me feel like I'm not dying every morning, it also probably does something nice to reduce morning accidents and blah-blah-blah-still-nice-things-but-not-as-important-as-it-once-was-blah-blah.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

The Beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time does not exsist
« Reply #112817 on: November 07, 2016, 08:48:38 am »

The axial tilt of the earth can be changed.
Damn the Dams!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112818 on: November 07, 2016, 08:51:14 am »

You are aware DST was invented at a time when electric lighting didn't exist and daylight was the all-fucking-powerful god that determined what could and could not be done?
So... 1895?
I mean I enjoyed the sardonic tone, but it probably could've been much improved by being right.

I can see why people want DST so they have more time in their afternoon (which, as DST is exclusively a move forward, means the pleasant daylit mornings you describe are actually due to the absence of DST).
But as a farmer-type made night-shift worker, it matters literally nothing to my work schedule and so just smacks of hubris.

Alt right?
... Sorry, I don't understand. Am I missing something? English is my first language.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:58:34 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

The Beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I stood on a Tack
« Reply #112819 on: November 07, 2016, 08:52:41 am »

Alt right?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #112820 on: November 07, 2016, 08:58:35 am »

You are aware DST was invented at a time when electric lighting didn't exist and daylight was the all-fucking-powerful god that determined what could and could not be done?
So... 1895?
I mean I enjoyed the sardonic tone, but it probably could've been much improved by being right.

Huh, weird. I have actually been wrong about that for my entire life. Whoops.

Carry on while I go read up on the history of DST and go call up my dad and tell him that he lied to me fifteen years ago.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #112821 on: November 07, 2016, 09:00:12 am »

There's a case to be made that electric lighting was only seriously ubiquitous by the early 20th - WWI era kind of thing. In which case you're not necessarily wrong. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112822 on: November 07, 2016, 09:10:34 am »

There's a case to be made that the Romans lengthened their hours (& changed their clocks and candles accordingly) during the summer months to account for the longer period of daylight which is sort of daylight savings. In which case you're not necessarily wrong.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #112823 on: November 07, 2016, 09:11:22 am »

Hey, i didn't say there was a good case. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112824 on: November 07, 2016, 09:16:07 am »

anyone who thinks dst is a good idea needs to sit the fuck down and think critically for two fucking seconds about what dst is actually doing

spoilers: it's literally fucking nothing

you can't change the axial tilt of earth

time as we know it is arbitrary and fake and you aren't actually getting any more or less daytime, you're just making everyone's lives harder for a week or two twice a year

...Uh.

You are aware DST was invented at a time when electric lighting didn't exist and daylight was the all-fucking-powerful god that determined what could and could not be done? Back in the day it made perfect sense to change the time in order to accommodate for the tilt. Hell, last week it was dark when I went to work, now it's pleasantly light when I go to work- not only does it make me feel like I'm not dying every morning, it also probably does something nice to reduce morning accidents and blah-blah-blah-still-nice-things-but-not-as-important-as-it-once-was-blah-blah.
Apart from discussing whenever the horrible idea that is DST was first spawned into the world, the solution to any of those problems would be to simply change the goddamn working hours rather than tell everyone to pretend it's a different time of day to what it really is. >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112825 on: November 07, 2016, 09:23:55 am »

There's a case to be made that the cabal of world leaders who control the gigantic spaceship known as Earth smoothly shift the axis of the planet when they feel like it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112826 on: November 07, 2016, 09:36:11 am »

harvest work

common myth, farmers don't give two damns or a fuck about the time of day, their schedules are tied to the day directly

dst was invented by a new zealander so he could have more time to catch butterflies

it was first adopted in germany and austria for... reasons
Saving fuel reasons, actually. And yeah, memory was on the fritz. Farm work's the common excuse for keeping it around in my area, but double checking the whole actual reason for initial implementation and a fair amount of the later as well was wartime measures to incentivize saving fuel, apparently. Kinda' useless now, but I think a fair amount of the sentiment is something along the lines of, "If we had to suffer through it, so do you." Which is terrible sentiment but it gets a lot of traction, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112827 on: November 07, 2016, 09:37:22 am »

There's a case to be made that electric lighting was only seriously ubiquitous by the early 20th - WWI era kind of thing. In which case you're not necessarily wrong. :P

In the cities and towns, maybe. Out in the countryside it wouldn't be until far into the 20th century. At least 30's-ish sometime. The countryside is coincidentally where the actual farms and farming takes place.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112828 on: November 07, 2016, 09:50:14 am »

DST is mostly baseless nowadays, offering no real economic advantage. You could say it actualy offers some long term disadvantages since there are studies that point out that DST is actaly harmful to people's health in general since it fucks up with your internal clock.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112829 on: November 07, 2016, 09:57:53 am »

I was  under the impression that modern DST still existed because it meant it would be daylight at school bus stops in the morning during the winter months.

Of course, that begs the question of why school is so goddamn early, but hey.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 7520 7521 [7522] 7523 7524 ... 11037