Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7494 7495 [7496] 7497 7498 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481736 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112425 on: November 01, 2016, 02:44:29 pm »

Caramel is intrinsically terrible and everyone who likes it is bad.

Great, now I'm seriously craving a salted caramel milkshake. And it's nearly 10 o'clock so that's not happening for many reasons. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112426 on: November 01, 2016, 02:47:28 pm »

Damn theistics and their love of sweetness.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112427 on: November 01, 2016, 02:52:05 pm »

Twix
Those do rank up quite high.  But nothing dethrones the king of candy the snickers bar.

Snickers> Reeses> Twix> 3 Musketeers> Smarties> Jolly ranchers> Skittles> .... > Live worms > licorice> Candy corn
Snickers are amazing, tis true, but Take 5 have dethroned them. Shame they don't really come in fun-sized form  :(
I think snickers and twix are both disgusting and would put them below candy corn and some types of licorice.

I've never had a take five but looking it up, it looks disgusting.
Well, you're perfectly free to feel that way. Heretic.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112428 on: November 01, 2016, 03:20:14 pm »

Mwhaha.

I've had a mouse problem in my apartment building for years, but usually they are pretty good about running into my traps.  For the last 6 months though, I've had this mouse that just will not touch food if its in a trap.  He probably saw his brother die horribly or something and it scarred him for life.

However, this week I've been training the mouse to get more and more comfortable around the traps by putting cheerios on the floor.  Then cheerios near the trap.  Then cheerios on the trap, but not on the dangerous parts.

I know its been working, because I saw him sniff the food in the trap proper like he was seriously thinking about going for it.  I'm literally training a mouse to kill himself.   :-X

I'd feel guilty, but I'm tired of all the mouse poop everywhere.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:22:56 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112429 on: November 01, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »

Pisskop got mugged today, walking to work.

Short story, I wake up at 4:00am and walk 3 miles (~5km) to work, for 6am.  It doesnt quite take that long usually, but its a nice buffer.  at 5a 3 guys in heavy coats walked by across the street.  a few minutes later, one hung back, one ran up to me and pulled a gun, and one took a knife and walked ahead of us.  Then there was head conking with the gun and light pistolwhip action and as I handed up my phone I kind of charged into the gun guy and fled into an alley.

The part Im mad over is not really that they got my phone, which I dropped when I did the whole thing, but that they used it to call my mother and giggle and upset her. :\

And that I just pulled a knot of coagulated blood from my hair now, 12 hours later.

so, they saw the light of my phone, I didnt flee when I saw him running at me from across the street, and now Im all sad and vaguely emasculated.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112430 on: November 01, 2016, 04:03:13 pm »

Oh shit, hope you feel better soon. It could have definitely gone a lot worse, though, be glad it's just your phone and pride.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112431 on: November 01, 2016, 04:21:18 pm »

Holy shit dude that sucks. Having a gun cocked at you head is not just some minor inconveniencing occurance. First of all, go to the police. Also report that they harassed your mother on the stolen phone.
Second, make an appointment with a shrink, and get treatment for PTSD. Better start treating that now, than wait for it to evolve into a subconcsious crippling trauma that can ruin your life. There's good treatments for PTSD nowadays. They shouldn't involve drugs. At least not as a first resort.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing

Glad though that you got away with just a head bump. I won't call you stupid for charging and running, because that would have been a fight or flee reflex opting for the latter, which is a subconscious thing. Can't call you stupid for a hardwired reflex. But that could have ended way worse than it has, if your charge and run had spooked the guy into firing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:32:51 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112432 on: November 01, 2016, 05:02:46 pm »

Pisskop got mugged today, walking to work.
Short story, I wake up at 4:00am and walk 3 miles (~5km) to work, for 6am.  It doesnt quite take that long usually, but its a nice buffer.  at 5a 3 guys in heavy coats walked by across the street.  a few minutes later, one hung back, one ran up to me and pulled a gun, and one took a knife and walked ahead of us.  Then there was head conking with the gun and light pistolwhip action and as I handed up my phone I kind of charged into the gun guy and fled into an alley.
The part Im mad over is not really that they got my phone, which I dropped when I did the whole thing, but that they used it to call my mother and giggle and upset her. :\
And that I just pulled a knot of coagulated blood from my hair now, 12 hours later.
so, they saw the light of my phone, I didnt flee when I saw him running at me from across the street, and now Im all sad and vaguely emasculated.
Accept humiliation with indifference, you live to feel it which is of the most paramount importance. You gonna punish yourself for not defeating 3 armed men? Don't be foolish, you have performed excellently in escaping in a hasty fashion - you held your nerve and acted. Might want to go get that headwound checked though, just because you can't mess around with headwounds. May turn out to be something serious

Seriously pisskop, glad you're ok. Good job

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112433 on: November 01, 2016, 05:11:35 pm »

Yea, I'd say thats the best outcome we can expect out of a situation like this. You were both out-armed and outnumbered, so unless all 3 fumbled horribly and knocked themselves uncouncious, things could've been a lot worse. Better the phone (and your mother's worries) than your life, and we're glad you actualy escaped.

Don't worry dude, inform the police. With phone tracking nowadays those guys could get fucked soon, specially since they actualy bothered to use your phone.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #112434 on: November 01, 2016, 05:28:52 pm »

The situation he's talking about is when he sees something down below the post window, and hits the insert quote button while writing post. Any changes made to the quoted message AFTER he clicked 'post reply' but before he clicked 'insert quote' would then show up in the quote that the server gives him, which WILL NOT be the same as the message that he can scroll down and look at while writing.

I'm 80% sure on that.
Ah yeah, that will happen because the posting screen isn't reactive. It's the same as if I load up a page and then someone changed it in between me loading up the post and clicking the quote button. Guess the issue was just that with the way that the original post was worded it seemed to imply that if I quote someone, and then they later update their post, then my quote will reactively updated (which it does not, obviously :P).

@martinuzz
One traumatic event does not even necessarily mean you need treatment for PTSD (and in fact, for many people unless it's something seriously traumatizing one event won't result in anything like that; people are generally pretty good at bouncing back from lesser, isolated trauma in most cases). Of course if you started to suffer issues related to that then you would definitely want to go see someone about it, but in the vast majority of cases being mugged and getting out of it with (relatively compared to the potential) small losses is not going to result in something that necessitates serious (and potentially expensive) treatment. In short, unless you start to suffer symptoms there's no reason to spend money seeking out treatment that you likely won't need. Think of it like any other doctor visit; if you have a deep cut or something you think might get infected, then go see a doctor, and if you have anything that might need their expertise go see one, but all going to see a doctor for a small scrape is going to do is waste your money on treatment that doesn't really provide any benefit that time itself wouldn't (again, personal tolerances may vary; some people can go through hell and come out pretty much unbent, while others break with a whisper, and there is no shame in either). To reiterate: if you feel fine, and you don't notice any ill effects psychologically afterwards, then you are probably fine. If you don't feel fine, or you notice effects that aren't good, then go get help. But don't just waste money and resources that you could need elsewhere just because you feel some obligation to be traumatized.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:38:47 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #112435 on: November 01, 2016, 05:31:30 pm »

Hope you're okay, pisskop. And hopefully the police can track your cellphone somehow, like through its GPS function if you had that on. Get those losers off the street.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112436 on: November 01, 2016, 05:33:16 pm »

Hope you're okay, pisskop. And hopefully the police can track your cellphone somehow, like through its GPS function if you had that on. Get those losers off the street.
Aye.

And what everyone else said.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112437 on: November 01, 2016, 05:43:44 pm »

Well thanks guys.  We're trying to get a picture of them using the local businesses.  My stepfather happens to be a longtime service provider in the general area.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112438 on: November 01, 2016, 05:59:13 pm »

@martinuzz
One traumatic event does not even necessarily mean you need treatment for PTSD (and in fact, for many people unless it's something seriously traumatizing one event won't result in anything like that; people are generally pretty good at bouncing back from lesser, isolated trauma in most cases). Of course if you started to suffer issues related to that then you would definitely want to go see someone about it, but in the vast majority of cases being mugged and getting out of it with (relatively compared to the potential) small losses is not going to result in something that necessitates serious (and potentially expensive) treatment. In short, unless you start to suffer symptoms there's no reason to spend money seeking out treatment that you likely won't need. Think of it like any other doctor visit; if you have a deep cut or something you think might get infected, then go see a doctor, and if you have anything that might need their expertise go see one, but all going to see a doctor for a small scrape is going to do is waste your money on treatment that doesn't really provide any benefit that time itself wouldn't (again, personal tolerances may vary; some people can go through hell and come out pretty much unbent, while others break with a whisper, and there is no shame in either). To reiterate: if you feel fine, and you don't notice any ill effects psychologically afterwards, then you are probably fine. If you don't feel fine, or you notice effects that aren't good, then go get help. But don't just waste money and resources that you could need elsewhere just because you feel some obligation to be traumatized.
I'm sorry to mostly have to disagree. First of all, my bad for forgetting you are from country were basic healthcare like psychological councelling after trauma isn't free.
I do agree that not every traumatic event automatically leads to PTSD.
However, I would never describe being mugged at gun and knifepoint, and actually injured a 'lesser, isolated trauma'. Moreso because it happened in a place that Pisskop probably regarded as 'safe', if only because it's the familiar old route he takes every day.
Moreover, studies show that PTSD is more easily treatable, the earlier it's recognized and treatment started. That being said, EMDR treatment is not an expensive treatment. The equipment used is not that expensive, and re-usable. Nor is it an invasive or heavy treatment. It's basically just doing some eyerolling for the good doctor. The diagnosis could be the most expensive part of the treatment.
Waiting until you start to suffer symptoms in the case of PTSD could mean that several years go by, in which you develop symptoms so slowly that you won't notice it until it has become a serious problem in one of the main life factors of relation, work or physical health.
Because that's the nasty thing about PTSD. All the time, you think you're fine until it bites you in the ass.
At that point, yes, it's very likely that treatment will have become serious and possibly expensive. The costs of someone losing their job because of anxiety or irritability issues, or becoming dependent on Xanax and other legal harddrugs to combat panic attacks is much higher than an early diagnosis and treatment.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:02:52 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #112439 on: November 01, 2016, 06:00:50 pm »

Ah, so it's like insurance - you might not have PTSD, but better safe and down $XX than sorry and down $XXXX.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 7494 7495 [7496] 7497 7498 ... 11037