Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7488 7489 [7490] 7491 7492 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14484123 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112335 on: October 31, 2016, 09:17:35 am »

We have a costume day in high school <wait for it>

Freshman comes in with a toy (real looking) gun, sees no issue with this

honestly
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112336 on: October 31, 2016, 09:23:16 am »

Weren't a significant portion of the natives dead when the colonists moved inland? I've heard it, but I'm not sure. It'd be pretty difficult repelling the invadors while undergoing a huge pandemic ripping across the land.

Of course, all history gets uncomfortable at some point, and it goes unexpected places, at times.
Yes -- IIRC the leading explanation for that is that a plague was set loose in one of the initial contacts. By the time Europeans started settling, they were encountering basically the battered remnants of the east-coast civilizations. When the Mayflower expedition landed, they were able to be so successful because they were literally moving onto cleared, planted land where the local population had recently died off. As in, they took over fields full of growing corn, that's how fresh a lot of the deaths were. The notion of the American "wilderness" is entirely fabricated, most of it was practically fucking parkland that was only thinly peopled because of how many had died to disease.

Until World War II, there was probably not a single real war where humans killed more than disease and famine.

Not that the colonists didn't totally genocide the natives literally and then culturally, but they would have lost that conflict if not for the pandemics. Hell, the US nearly got in trouble as it was, fighting the western natives and the Seminole.
World War I or the American Civil War, maybe. If you count deaths from botched surgery and infection as battlefield casualties. But yes, this is why pre-modern warfare sucked massive dick, most of the deaths came on the march and in camp/siege. You were already statistically lucky if you lived to die in a battle.

Oh yeah. Americans have conveniently forgotten that we spent something like a century constantly at war with different tribes and nations. So much of our history has been thoroughly whitewashed of that bit of guilt. The Louisiana Purchase wasn't a purchase of land, but of a fabricated paper-claim to land. The French-Indian war was fought predominantly through Amerindian proxies. There's also the slightly more positive stuff -- the Boston Tea Partiers didn't dress up as Amerindians to deflect blame (really? Are people today imposing their stupidity on the past? Nobody's that dumb, right?), but because at the time they were seen as a symbol of freedom from central control and oppression (incidentally, this was why a surprising number of European settlers ran off to join local communities, and why authorities worked so hard to suppress knowledge of that pattern of behavior).

It's like, there's historical revision and whitewashing and propaganda everywhere, but America's history with native populations is both incredibly more complex and interesting than it's made out to be, and also almost totally suppressed and forgotten. For good goddamn reason, too: it's as large a stain on our past glory, founding myths, and delusions of morality as fucking slavery. Remember that one of the main reasons the Spanish started the trend of bringing over African slaves is because they enslaved local populations and literally worked them to death.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112337 on: October 31, 2016, 09:23:50 am »

So the Cubs are winning 3-2 in the World Series, and the next game is a home game. Whoulda'thunk it.
Chicago Cubs are actually losing 3-2.
True. The next games are in Cleveland, as well.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112338 on: October 31, 2016, 09:36:00 am »

I'm starting to believe the theory that the world ended in 2012, and as time goes by our collective purgatory gets more and more unstable.
That's the impression that followed certain people when 'the world ended' back in the 20th century and even before that :P A collective sense of 'everything is getting worse'...because they focused on big details like that. :P
It's less about thigns being bad and mroe things being balls to the walls crazy. :P

I mean, we're transmitting thoughts using light.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112339 on: October 31, 2016, 10:49:24 am »

honestly
If someone did it like that in my school, nobody would give a shit, because... <wait for it>
I live in no-gun country so nobody gives a shit. Like, really, all the plastic guns, all the ASGs - none of them even have the dreaded orange tip here.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #112340 on: October 31, 2016, 10:57:04 am »

First light, then electron-bumps. Unless you also have that newfangled glass wire stuff *which is so cool*.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112341 on: October 31, 2016, 10:57:41 am »

honestly
If someone did it like that in my school, nobody would give a shit, because... <wait for it>
I live in no-gun country so nobody gives a shit. Like, really, all the plastic guns, all the ASGs - none of them even have the dreaded orange tip here.

This kid just got a week suspension and you're telling me that there's places who don't care
I honestly didn't know those places still existed

My game giveaway

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112342 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:06 am »

Yeah in Australia the orange-tip rule is kinda take it or leave it as well.
Kids are more likely to get suspended for wearing turbans.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112343 on: October 31, 2016, 11:11:04 am »

Yeah in Australia the orange-tip rule is kinda take it or leave it as well.
Kids are more likely to get suspended for wearing turbans.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Joking aside, actual suspensions? I don't know as much about Australian schools as Australian every other country's schools know about American schools.

My game giveaway

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112344 on: October 31, 2016, 11:15:51 am »

honestly
Same here. The only people I've seen with real guns were policemen and private security guards, and they also have very recognizable uniforms. Lots of people complain about that, though. Say something about "they don't want to give us guns because armed people are less likely to be controlled" or something...
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112345 on: October 31, 2016, 11:17:19 am »

Heh... I meant specifically to a costume day.

But I do recall a time there when they were trying to ban singing national anthems at parade because if was alienating our huge extra-national population.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112346 on: October 31, 2016, 11:23:45 am »

Honestly, if bringing a toy gun to school is a problem, then the problem is in the fact that you've took it far enough for this to be a problem.
I mean, fuck, I am /k/ as fuck, I hate the fact that I can't realistically own anything better than a ball and cap and an air gun, but if someone advanced that path long enough for people to worry about guns where guns don't belong, then there is something wrong.

But I do recall a time there when they were trying to ban singing national anthems at parade because if was alienating our huge extra-national population.
The fuck?
Polish nationalists would literally explode from the sheer fury if something like that were to happen. The parade would end up singing hate-songs.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112347 on: October 31, 2016, 11:38:20 am »

do we even have a national anthem
._.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112348 on: October 31, 2016, 11:41:35 am »

Spoiler: off topic wtf (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112349 on: October 31, 2016, 11:45:15 am »

do we even have a national anthem
Chorus: REMOVE KEBAB remove kebab

you are worst turk. you are the turk idiot you are the turk smell. return to croatioa. to our croatia cousins you may come our contry. you may live in the [snip]….ahahahaha ,bosnia we will never forgeve you. cetnik rascal FUck but fuck asshole turk stink bosnia [snip]..turk [snip] best day of my life. take a bath of [snip] turk..ahahahahahBOSNIA WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget [snip] .albiania we [snip] the king , albania return to your precious [snip]….hahahahaha [snip] turk and bosnian smell so bad..wow i can smell it. REMOVE KEBAB FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught. russia+usa+croatia+slovak=[snip] bosnia…you will [snip]/ tupac alive in serbia, tupac making album of serbia . fast rap tupac serbia. we are rich and have gold now hahahaha ha because of tupac… you are ppoor stink turk… you live in a hovel hahahaha, you live in a yurt

(2x)

(With soul)
tupac alive numbr one #1 in serbia ….fuck the croatia ,..FUCKk ashol turks no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur flag and contry. 2pac aliv and real strong wizard kill all the turk farm aminal with rap magic now we the serba rule .ape of the [snip] presidant georg bush fukc the great [snip] and lay egg this egg hatch and bosnia wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our clay we will crush u lik a skull of pig. serbia greattst countrey

E: snipped out some possible especially racist/triggering bits to avoid being KEK'd. The joke is about Russia and kebabs. It is not about killing turks or lynching them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:51:56 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 7488 7489 [7490] 7491 7492 ... 11037