Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7247 7248 [7249] 7250 7251 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463323 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108720 on: September 01, 2016, 05:51:56 pm »

Battlefield 1's beta. Not the server DDoSing, but the game itself.

"Hey guys let's make the next Buttholefield set in WWI!"
"Yeah but let's give everyone SMGs and automatic rifles because they're lazy shitheads who can't aim a bolt-action without a scope."
"Yeah!"

Also the one-man light tank can mount an autocannon which can fire canister shells. Literally armored automatic shotgun on treads.
BUT I WANTED IT TO BE GOOD SO BADLY

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I know. I had hoped to play it with friends when it came out. :'(

Hopefully, at least, this will, I don't know, open the floodgates for more WW1 shooters? Including at least one good one? We can but hope.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108721 on: September 01, 2016, 06:14:27 pm »

"Yeah but let's give everyone SMGs and automatic rifles because they're lazy shitheads who can't aim a bolt-action without a scope."
"Yeah!"

Also the one-man light tank can mount an autocannon which can fire canister shells. Literally armored automatic shotgun on treads.
BUT I WANTED IT TO BE GOOD SO BADLY

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I know. I had hoped to play it with friends when it came out. :'(

Hopefully, at least, this will, I don't know, open the floodgates for more WW1 shooters? Including at least one good one? We can but hope.
Verdun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108722 on: September 01, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »

"Yeah!"

I so badly wish I were surprised by this.
Same deal with WWII shooters. "Hey, lets give all the germans STG44s, because bolt actions are sooo boring!" "If all the germans have STG44s we need to give all the americans BARs!" Until finally: "Let's just set the @$%@ game in modern times so we can give everyone assault rifles."

Yeah this.
I'm no gun geek, but this strains even my credulity.

The reason this iteration is at all noteworthy is because it seems to be recreating one of the lesser-represented wars, WW1.  If they basically use WW2 tech everywhere, mechanically, I guess it's just another miss.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108723 on: September 01, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »

There is that free to play Heroes & Generals, pretty sure the standard weapon is bolt action and automatics are short range/very inaccurate at longer range.  I havn't played it for a few years though. 
I don't even remember if it is based on WWI or WWII.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108724 on: September 01, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »

There is that free to play Heroes & Generals, pretty sure the standard weapon is bolt action and automatics are short range/very inaccurate at longer range.  I havn't played it for a few years though. 
WW2, standard weapon is Semi-Auto. Back during development it was Garand for Americans and actually bolt-action Kar98k for Germans, but MUH BALANCE and they changed it to G43. Honestly speaking though, the only thing stopping everyone from running with STGs/MG42s/FG42s and so on is the RIDICULOUS FUCKING GRIND. It takes longer than human lifespan to get to something useful, honestly. Fun game, but IMO suffers from excessive F2P grind syndrome.

There has not been good casual WW2 shooter since Call of Duty 2. There wasn't a lot of problem there, even if in Multiplayer you could run around with STG all the time, because all the cool people took Kar98ks because they killed in one shoot.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108725 on: September 01, 2016, 06:57:28 pm »

There has not been good casual WW2 shooter since Call of Duty 2.
Excuse me sir, you are causing a disturbance.

*sigh*, I miss the Garand. Firefox doesn't even think that's a real word.

Ping!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:59:35 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108726 on: September 01, 2016, 07:00:34 pm »

Slightly off topic, but I'm really surprised that Garands and Springfields aren't still in production (AFAIK). Quite apart from their historical appeal, they'd mike excellent sporting rifles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108727 on: September 01, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »

Meh. Medal of Honor always had cool music but wasn't THAT good of a game.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108728 on: September 01, 2016, 07:04:59 pm »

*sigh*, I miss the Garand. Firefox doesn't even think that's a real word.

Ping!
I... I loved that game, briefly.  Wish I knew it longer.
I later filled the void with *Killing Floor 1* of all things.  Playing sharpshooter (when not medic or supprt).  The lever-action rifle wasn't at all close to the Garand, but it was *relatively* close.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108729 on: September 01, 2016, 07:07:35 pm »

Slightly off topic, but I'm really surprised that Garands and Springfields aren't still in production (AFAIK). Quite apart from their historical appeal, they'd mike excellent sporting rifles.
If you were American you could get one from the Civilian Marksmanship Program.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108730 on: September 01, 2016, 07:07:47 pm »

According to this they're weird enough that making reproductions would require some extra work, and the world is awash in them anyway so there's no market.
Meh. Medal of Honor always had cool music but wasn't THAT good of a game.
Airborne isn't the greatest game in the world or anything, but in terms of that WWII itch it's like finding some stale but clean water while dying of thirst in the Sahara. I can see all of the flaws with it, but I just can't care because I'm so happy to have it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:10:29 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #108731 on: September 01, 2016, 07:10:27 pm »

Why the hell is there a pimple on my leg? I didn't think that was a thing. Now I've scraped it (accidentally, while tripping on my own feet) and its oozing pus and blood.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108732 on: September 01, 2016, 07:11:25 pm »

WW2, standard weapon is Semi-Auto. Back during development it was Garand for Americans and actually bolt-action Kar98k for Germans, but MUH BALANCE and they changed it to G43. Honestly speaking though, the only thing stopping everyone from running with STGs/MG42s/FG42s and so on is the RIDICULOUS FUCKING GRIND. It takes longer than human lifespan to get to something useful, honestly. Fun game, but IMO suffers from excessive F2P grind syndrome.

There has not been good casual WW2 shooter since Call of Duty 2. There wasn't a lot of problem there, even if in Multiplayer you could run around with STG all the time, because all the cool people took Kar98ks because they killed in one shoot.
World at War was actually pretty good. Sure, the MP-40 with the dual magazines was stupidly good, but there was plenty of unscope bolt-action fighting to be had, especially because they were pretty much guaranteed one-taps. They even managed to make CoD MP work with tanks.

Speaking of tanks, BF1's are broken as shit. The only way you'll die is if there's a better tanker on the other team (and not even then if you're hull-down in the one-man); the best infantry can do is all go assault and try to ping you with the AT rifle. Maybe it'll be a different story on maps that aren't 70% wide open sand dunes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108733 on: September 01, 2016, 07:17:00 pm »

World at War was actually pretty good. Sure, the MP-40 with the dual magazines was stupidly good, but there was plenty of unscope bolt-action fighting to be had, especially because they were pretty much guaranteed one-taps. They even managed to make CoD MP work with tanks.

Speaking of tanks, BF1's are broken as shit. The only way you'll die is if there's a better tanker on the other team (and not even then if you're hull-down in the one-man); the best infantry can do is all go assault and try to ping you with the AT rifle. Maybe it'll be a different story on maps that aren't 70% wide open sand dunes.

Infantry being basically helpless against tanks without their own tank or field gun was the reality of the situation though, wasn't it?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108734 on: September 01, 2016, 07:18:30 pm »

Eh, somehow games have to balance everyone's fun against immersion.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 7247 7248 [7249] 7250 7251 ... 11040