Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7082 7083 [7084] 7085 7086 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473617 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106245 on: July 20, 2016, 11:06:22 am »

Y'all are crazy. The Japanese would just give everyone breasts. Probably whichever set of genitalia is missing, too. Asking them to remove secondary sexual characteristics is like asking an alligator to turn vegan. Give them the ability to manipulate that sort of thing and it'd be tits and tentacles everywhere. I don't think you two actually want sprong dong sprouting from your heels.

In other news, was reminded today of Berlin. Berlin, Pennsylvania, home of the Synders of Berlin potato chip brand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106246 on: July 20, 2016, 11:19:27 am »

My sister actually played FFT and told me that Ramza was indeed a woman.  Kinda made me sad to correct her because I could indeed see why she thought that.

I mean that intro screen in FFT right before it has you name him.   That shot of his ass pretty much predates the whole "Tracer's Ass" controversy by what, a decade?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106247 on: July 20, 2016, 11:44:50 am »

Closer to two. FFT came out in '97.

Pretty sure there's earlier stuff even more egregious, particularly among box art, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106248 on: July 20, 2016, 11:58:34 am »

I looked up Ramza.

In the original Japanese game were they a woman, and they changed it for English audiences, or did they just decide 'Bollocks to it, lets make a dude that has every single feature you'd expect on a woman minus the cock and balls'?

Neither. The original FFT had an art style where the main visual difference between male and female was hairstyle and facial hair (when present). In the first part of the game, he has a ponytail that likely explains any confusion that might arise. Compare him to Delita or Algus (in both official art and sprite) and there's no feature that stands out as "feminine" in one but not the other three except that ponytail.

He does have female Faith growth as well as male Brave (In FFT, Faith boosts magic and Brave boosts physical - males have better Brave and females better faith) and IIRC can equip female-only accessories. This is most likely due to him being the main character and mandatory for every story battle.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106249 on: July 20, 2016, 12:10:20 pm »

Now of course it could be worse... Ramza could be Marshe. Well ok Game sprite wise...

Ramza

Marche

I find it funny because a lot of fan art try to man up Marche when he is supposed to be highly androgynous.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:13:19 pm by Neonivek »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106250 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:24 pm »

Note that the first link is the Tetsuya Nomura redesign for Dissida. The original Akihiko Yoshida design is this.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106251 on: July 20, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »

FFT Cloud gets female accessories too, for whatever it's worth.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106252 on: July 20, 2016, 03:08:39 pm »

The Protagonist must always be fabulous. It is a rule.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106253 on: July 20, 2016, 03:45:45 pm »

FFT Cloud gets female accessories too, for whatever it's worth.

In all fairness Cloud IS, legitimately, a cross dresser... and it is actually established as a plot point in the game.

So much so that there is a lot of people seriously wondering if the remake will actually remove that from the game.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106254 on: July 20, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »

If memory serves he was unwilling, and was doing it to save the damsel in distress.  ....or....master martial artist in distress... ...minus the distress... because his new girlfriend thought it would be the best way... who may have secretly been thinking it would be hawt...

something like that.

I mean if you think about it the plot of FF7 was pretty much all about some soldier(uppercase) who went crazy because of mommy issues, and another soldier(lowercase) with a massive case of repressed memories who thought he was someone else.  I don't think that's the craziest plot arc in the game.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:01:41 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106255 on: July 20, 2016, 04:01:21 pm »

You know, there was some stuff on the net about the new Baldur's Gate expansion and how it had a transgender character, and some drama coming out of the whole issue, with some people complaining about the character, or somesuch.
Two things came to mind.

1: The "remastered" BG games are kind of meh-ish and most of the criticism I've heard about the new expansion is about it being bland as well, not about an one-line note about one character or another being transgendered. Which is a rather silly reason to make a ruckus about, I think, and those that DID complain about this should consider that...

2: ...  said character would be at most the THIRD, potentially fourth or more, transgendered character in the Baldur's Gate games, so it's not even particularily noteworthy...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:08:17 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106256 on: July 20, 2016, 04:02:32 pm »

If memory serves he was unwilling, and was doing it to save the damsel in distress.  ....or....master martial artist in distress... ...minus the distress... because his new girlfriend thought it would be the best way... who may have secretly been thinking it would be hawt...

something like that.
It's been a long, long time since I last played through that scene, but I vaguely remember deadling's shtick there being less eroero and more schadenfreude. She may have thought it was hot to some degree, but it was mostly just screwing with people.

Though yeah, nimbus wasn't exactly enthused, and not in the doth protest too much sense.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106257 on: July 20, 2016, 04:12:52 pm »

Going to leave this out of my musing >_< because I don't want to start fights there or scare people away from looking there.

But I am starting to become seriously disenchanted by feminism or at least the more contemporary pop feminism.

I used to be a feminist but then stopped being one because I felt I didn't hold enough views as a form of respect mostly because I went from a very simple view of feminism to a more complex one (for example: Balancing the idea of sexualizing female characters with the fact that women are still sexual creatures and also like sexy female characters). I am still bugged by how female characters are used today.

But I guess the point where I started having this slide is when Anita Sarcesian showed a picture of a woman playing an arcade cabinet (or was beside one) and said that the picture basically associates that the woman "IS" an arcade cabinet. It was a ridiculous statement based on nothing but to shock the viewer into accepting the premise... It is a parody except, in this case it isn't... and she is considered to be an authority and in fact "The Authority" on feminism in gaming now and forever.

Yet I eternally trapped in this because Feminism is so intertwined with women's rights and there is a lot of good in feminism that to distance myself from feminism as a whole seems wrong. Yet I cannot just ignore the parts I don't like because feminism attempts to portray a united front (a sort of "Take me as I am" deal).

As well I am pushing back against the detractors of feminism... But even that is getting worse as they are starting to make good points.

It reminds me of the South Park episode about Religion. Where the entire town becomes militantly atheist because the Church had a scandal. Yet their conclusion wasn't that religion was wrong but that maybe they shouldn't listen to the Pope. Take the good, and ditch what doesn't work.

I feel like something I used to have that was good is now tarnished and tawdry. It is really depressing.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:14:54 pm by Neonivek »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106258 on: July 20, 2016, 04:16:47 pm »

ITT: Feminine looking guy protagonists, crossdressing, and now neonivek's feminist adventures

I love you, bay12.

If bay12 lower forums was a person, it'd be one of those lovable idiot type friends that you really enjoy but would absolutely NEVER go out with.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106259 on: July 20, 2016, 04:27:52 pm »

something like that.
It's been a long, long time since I last played through that scene, but I vaguely remember deadling's shtick there being less eroero and more schadenfreude. She may have thought it was hot to some degree, but it was mostly just screwing with people.

Though yeah, nimbus wasn't exactly enthused, and not in the doth protest too much sense.
Well, there was also the gay "sex scenes" (it's not like we're shown anything other than Cloud waking up under a buff dude in one case, and him and about a dozen bodybuilders jammed into a bathtub in the other) in the brothel while you are gathering accessories to crossdress in FF7.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 7082 7083 [7084] 7085 7086 ... 11037