Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7076 7077 [7078] 7079 7080 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14475054 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106155 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:26 pm »

It's been easier to finish them on emulators than the actual consoles, for me :P

The latter did have that thing were limited library meant you'd be more likely to focus on particular games more, but the former has save states and fast forward, and good bloody gods does that make every ounce of difference in the world. The second even more than the first, really.

... also being able to selectively disable layers makes a number of old console RPGs' design significantly less irritating. Screw your dark rooms, double screw your hidden corridors, and stuff your bloody fog layer bullshit right in there with the cacti. I've got a strong independent piece of gaming software and it don't need none o' that shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106156 on: July 17, 2016, 09:54:15 pm »

I mean, I'm never going to play FFTA 1 on my DS again, since the GBA cartridge failed from time and overuse :P  No recovering that save.
But I still have the rom from before AFTER I bought it, and the saves.  And I can fast forward past the stupidly long animations.
Heck I could put the rom in my [redacted] and play on the DS again, but eh.  The left trigger button broke a year ago, and smartphones are a thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106157 on: July 17, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »

The speed toggle is a blessing, especially for games like Pokemon where you do a ton of walking and backtracking.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106158 on: July 18, 2016, 02:07:35 am »

I never savestate, that's cheating IMO unless I'm done playing for then.

But I would never have beaten Pokemon without fast forward. Battles with random Rattatas and Snubbulls are absolutely agonizing near the end.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #106159 on: July 18, 2016, 02:11:04 am »

Holy hell, that's some legit Kubrick-level stuff.

That could be turned into a scifi movie. I'd pay to watch it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106160 on: July 18, 2016, 03:54:59 pm »

I never savestate, that's cheating IMO unless I'm done playing for then.

But I would never have beaten Pokemon without fast forward. Battles with random Rattatas and Snubbulls are absolutely agonizing near the end.
I think I must be weird or something then, everyone I know loathes the slowness of the battles in the games.  Yet I love them.   I far prefer cartridge battles on my actual DS over the Smogon emulator for that very reason.

In cart battles I can take my time and think about the moves I'm using without having to worry about wasting my opponents time. I can see exactly how much damage is being inflicted on both sides and have a moment to ponder the implications to my plans.  If for some reason I need to take my eyes off the game the sound effects are unique enough that I can usually at least determine what move was used.

In smogon?  Nope, you barely even see the attack happening before it's next turn and you need to go back in the log to find out wtf actually happened.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106161 on: July 18, 2016, 04:08:38 pm »

When I'm trying to pat my cat's face, but I'm looking away, he has a habit of turning around so I scratch his arse instead. I only find out too late when I realise how crusty his "nose" seems to feel.

Cheeky bastard.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106162 on: July 18, 2016, 04:28:58 pm »

Cheeky bastard.

He presumably feels the same way about you.
One wheel short of a wagon

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106163 on: July 18, 2016, 06:03:02 pm »

I noticed a lone eurasian oystercatcher at small artificial pond in the middle of town today.
Double wtf. Firstly, they tend to come in groups.
Second, first time ever I saw one of those where I live. They usually stick to our coastal provinces. I felt sorry for the bugger though. The only thing that pond has for noteworthy aquatic life are the carp put there by the city. I doubt it'll find any shell or crabs there. Then again who knows, it could be that the American crayfish, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procambarus_clarkii) which has become a inexterminable pest in our country (and a delicacy) made it to that pond.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106164 on: July 18, 2016, 06:14:32 pm »

Here is something no one will ever tell you about being self-employed.

You are always on the clock.

It was... oddly stressful.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #106165 on: July 18, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »

This meetup group. "LGBTQ Spirituality Science Shamanism and Star Trek"

Okay sure, some hippy dippy plus LGBT stuff and then... Star Trek?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106166 on: July 18, 2016, 06:45:39 pm »

I noticed a lone eurasian oystercatcher at small artificial pond in the middle of town today.
Second, first time ever I saw one of those where I live. They usually stick to our coastal provinces. I felt sorry for the bugger though. The only thing that pond has for noteworthy aquatic life are the carp put there by the city. I doubt it'll find any shell or crabs there. Then again who knows, it could be that the American crayfish, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procambarus_clarkii) which has become a inexterminable pest in our country (and a delicacy) made it to that pond.
I'm kinda surprised that for invasive stuff like that there isn't a "kill it with fire" status in the conservation status listing on wikipedia.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106167 on: July 18, 2016, 06:50:16 pm »

This meetup group. "LGBTQ Spirituality Science Shamanism and Star Trek"

Okay sure, some hippy dippy plus LGBT stuff and then... Star Trek?

Sounds like a more complicated way of saying "Tumblr-con".
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #106168 on: July 18, 2016, 06:55:44 pm »

I'm kinda surprised that for invasive stuff like that there isn't a "kill it with fire" status in the conservation status listing on wikipedia.
Because dumbasses that don't know that its native to their region and thus not an invasive species or in need of death by fire would burn it out of its natural habitat because wikipedia told them to.

Never give the public an excuse to burn things to the ground. They will ignore all reason and logic in their quest to do so.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106169 on: July 18, 2016, 06:56:56 pm »

In smogon?  Nope, you barely even see the attack happening before it's next turn and you need to go back in the log to find out wtf actually happened.
I, uh. I'm not sure many folks here were talking about smogon, or anything like smogon. I wouldn't really consider it a emulator at all, really... I mean, maybe if you squint at it and run with a very technical definition of emulation, but it's no No$. Even calls itself a simulator instead. Guess you could say those are roughly synonyms (and I'd sorta' agree vis a vis general usage), but in regards to the nomenclature surrounding console emulation and computer based emulation in general it's not a usage you'd see often, if at all.

Most developed emulators can even slow things down, too, if for some mad reason you want to do that. Not so much fast forward as general speed control, for all most users will never use anything except fast forward, heh. And regardless it's not something that just... happens, unless there's some kind of bug going on. You have to press buttons or toggle options to get the speed rollin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 7076 7077 [7078] 7079 7080 ... 11037