Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7053 7054 [7055] 7056 7057 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457769 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105810 on: July 11, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »

Sorry for doublepost but:

I have nothing useful to contribute to this conversation.
I have nothing useful to contribute to this conversation.
One is superscript and on is subscript...  Equal amounts (3).
They're equivalent when quoted??
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #105811 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:12 pm »

Wait, so what's your sig?

ihavebee}rolandbeowulfachil!esgilgameshihavebeencalleda[undrednamesandwillbecalledathousandmorebeforetheworldgoesdimandcoldiam%heroshehasbeenn~melesssinceourbi=thacons

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh. I have been called a hundred names and will called a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold. I am a hero - she has been nameless since ourbi?thacons

I don't get the last part, nor the "I am a hero she has been" part.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105812 on: July 11, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »

My mother is washing dishes, when I ask her if can quickly rinse my mug out(<1 second task).
"Just put it over there" she snaps at me.

A few minutes later, I ask if I can fill my water bottle before I go to bed.
"Wait until I'm done here" again with the attitude.

I wait about 10 minutes before she comes in and very condescendingly tells me that I can use the sink. As I fill my bottle, I notice the same dishes she was doing were still in the sink, and my mug hadn't been moved from where I left it.
Meanwhile, every single time I'm doing something, I'm all but shoved out of the way if they need something. God forbid that they have to wait a few seconds until the person who was there first gets done with(or at least stops) what they're doing.

Oh, and they've started drinking again. That's nice.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105813 on: July 11, 2016, 08:43:16 pm »

I literally got my (interent) name off a captcha so be happy about your nicknames you creative internet people.
Oh and Rolan i was jsut wondering how fast you'd realize i was messing with quotes.
I initially planned to call both you and egan the same till i forget about the ordeal (so probably pretty soon).

Meanwhile, every single time I'm doing something, I'm all but shoved out of the way if they need something. God forbid that they have to wait a few seconds until the person who was there first gets done with(or at least stops) what they're doing.

Oh, and they've started drinking again. That's nice.
Double standards at their finest.
Wouldn't be surprised if they also wanted you to do stuff for them and "I will do it in 10 minutes" is suddenly not a valid answer.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105814 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »

At first I was confused, then figured I was supposed to say something :P  You had to be doing it on purpose.

Wait, so what's your sig?

ihavebee}rolandbeowulfachil!esgilgameshihavebeencalleda[undrednamesandwillbecalledathousandmorebeforetheworldgoesdimandcoldiam%heroshehasbeenn~melesssinceourbi=thacons

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh. I have been called a hundred names and will called a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold. I am a hero - she has been nameless since ourbi?thacons

I don't get the last part, nor the "I am a hero she has been" part.
omg omg nobody has ever asked before now

It's from Marathon 2.  Blake, a human survivor of the colony ship that was Deimos, is leading other survivors to resist and escape a slaver race near the first human colony: Tau Ceti.  A very angry and unstable [RAMPANT], human AI named Durandal was helping the humans, but has been overwhelmed and destroyed.
Then the main character finds this, the "unformatted Kill Your Terminal message".

Nobody knows exactly what it means, but it ties very strongly into a theme of the trilogy.  There are many hints of an eternal, reincarnating, Murdock-style "hero" and "enemy".  And here they are, in an ancient place.  Somehow their story resonates into this glitched terminal light years from Earth, as slavers slaughter the colonists and seek Earth's location.  Enemies/lovers.  Yin/yang.  Antagonist/protagonist, good/evil.

Is the author of that story supposed to be the player character?  Or, Durandal?  Nobody knows.
The player character is enigmatic and, while mute, an unreliable narrator.  Some terminals the player accesses (particularly in the third game) are almost surely dreams of the PC.

I hope the complete page satisfies your curiosity.  To me it represents the beauty and carnality of opposition, in a very personal way.
As does the white/black image on the right side of my signature, which represents Thoth.  Balance.
An alien incarnation of Thoth plays a crucial role in Marathon 2, under that image...

Edit: This means a LOT to me, and I worry that I haven't done it justice.  But, at least people are seeing it.  It's practically a dead series.
I don't dare suggest that people download Aleph One and experience it personally, just that they explore the above-linked Marathon Story Page.  It's a story worth reading, in all of my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:50:15 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105815 on: July 11, 2016, 09:10:22 pm »

Eh i like cyborgs and crazy AIs so i might check it out.

And in other news...
Spoiler: !!MUSIC!! (click to show/hide)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105816 on: July 11, 2016, 09:18:50 pm »

*hugpats Akura*

@Rolan7:It sounds cool.  Maybe you could do a LP of it or something?  Is it a game?  What kind, if it is?

Also, I did actually click through the link before this, for the record.  ;P

(psst, put a link to the download)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:20:55 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105817 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:39 pm »

My username is so generic that it is unique. Almost never have problems with other people using it.

The origin of the name itself is that I wanted to screw with games that make use of your first name. Also, I was too lazy to make think up a name when games/websites asked. I know, how surprising.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:26:11 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #105818 on: July 11, 2016, 10:40:43 pm »

I got tired of people misspelling my name :v

On the plus side, I'm now variously "laugh" in Filipino (thanks Tir) or a dinosaur.
Just so you know if you add in an "s", you'll be deodorant in Filipino. Well at least in common language. Specifically, its something used for laundry or whitening the armpits or used by local witchdoctors/shamans to chase away some local spirits.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105819 on: July 11, 2016, 10:44:40 pm »

My username here is simultaneously a reference to Summon Bigger Fish (of Darths and Droids fame) and Fischer of Spearbreakers.

My username elsewhere is actually a sort of family tradition.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105820 on: July 11, 2016, 10:50:06 pm »

My username is a Warhammer 40k reference. I used to go by another name elsewhere, but I dropped the alias.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105821 on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:02 pm »

My username is a very specific in-joke from highschool.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105822 on: July 11, 2016, 10:56:38 pm »

My first internet name was "Figaro"  I used it in a MUD (you yunguns should just imagine a really really early MMO) that was squaresoft themed.  They didn't allow unoriginal names but I somehow got approved in the naming process anyway.   I think an admin was drunk. 

I went a few months before a mod told me I needed to change my name.  So I went with my dnd char's name at the time, "Greiger". (which was also gotten from squaresoft with a changed letter or two.  It was the summoned monster from the final battle in FF8.)

And I've pretty much used Greiger ever since.  Only other name I commonly use is "Ramtak" for when, for whatever reason, I'm playing a female character.  Ramtak originally was (and still is) a female charr ranger in Guild Wars 2.   Name came from Dwarf fortress, literally dwarven for execute.  I liked the female charr models better than the male ones and couldn't think of a name.

I have changed my name only once on this forum.  I had changed it to "Toady One".  In the april fools joke that convinced the one toad to take away our ability to change our own names. :P
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:58:47 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #105823 on: July 11, 2016, 11:00:18 pm »

I made this name while signing up for a Star Trek forum, because I was really struggling to come up with something Star Trek-related that I'd remember. It's stayed with me ever since, although lately I've been using "logichan" for things where itisnotlogical is too long.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105824 on: July 11, 2016, 11:11:25 pm »

I'm named after Roland, the knight who "wielded" Durandal.  In Marathon, Durandal does most of the wielding...
And 7 is omnipresent in all Bungie's series.  So I made the name gender-neutral (yes, back in 2009 before I knew anything about "fluidity" or whatever) and added the divine number.

My username is a Warhammer 40k reference. I used to go by another name elsewhere, but I dropped the alias.
I've always gotten the reference.  It's a creepy one!  But after a point I stopped thinking about the DE and just recognized your name.  You're cool.

*hugpats Akura*

@Rolan7:It sounds cool.  Maybe you could do a LP of it or something?  Is it a game?  What kind, if it is?

Also, I did actually click through the link before this, for the record.  ;P

(psst, put a link to the download)
Aheh, well...
maybe
I don't know if it'd make a particularly good LP, it's a pretty slow Doom-era game.  It just happens to have a ton of story, essentially via text-logs, which is all on that Story Page.

But...  I do really want to do a LP of its prequel, a present-day romp through a Mythos pyramid to nuke a waking god back into torpor.  At least for a while.
The logs in that are interactive conversations with dead explorers.  Mostly, decades-dead nazis and the rest of your squad.
(That's what http://pid.bungie.org/deadwelcometasty.html is)

For now, here are the Marathon games, playable through an open-source cross-platform engine: https://alephone.lhowon.org/
But really, it's better to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 7053 7054 [7055] 7056 7057 ... 11040