Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6786 6787 [6788] 6789 6790 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14426321 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101805 on: May 05, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »

Spoiler: New Power Ranger suits (click to show/hide)

No, just no, not ever. Who the fuck thought this was anything approaching ok??
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101806 on: May 05, 2016, 01:55:23 pm »

Dude, gross... why do they need to run the Power Rangers franchise into the ground even more?! :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101807 on: May 05, 2016, 02:03:08 pm »

What you mean, even more? Its been ran into the ground so hard its probably in another dimension of pure suck by now.

But ye, that looks... Ehhh.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101808 on: May 05, 2016, 02:05:44 pm »

It wasn't so long ago that they were still making good Power Rangers seasons, and I saw one even more recently that wasn't bad.
Some of them are basically just super-long versions of the toy ads/commercials you see all through ad breaks on a cartoon TV channel, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101809 on: May 05, 2016, 02:14:56 pm »

Is everyone familiar with how Power Rangers worked? They bought action footage from Japan's long-running Super Sentai franchise, overdubbed American voices, then just shot the unmasked highschool kids locally for additional footage. Basically the show was 100% dependent on whatever the related studio in Japan happened to be doing that year. The show is aimed at about 8-12 year olds in Japan btw.

So, when you say "WTF there's even more?" well, they're 3 years behind the Japanese version. It's so cheap to adapt, so they'll keep churning out Power Rangers as long as it gets aired.

This movie reboot is an "All American" version of the concept. They need to change things around because the Japanese still have the copyright on all the designs: adaptation rights don't give you the right to make unlicensed sequels. So they can't use anything that actually appear in Super Sentai, however they can use any names (e.g. "Power Rangers") that they themselves tacked on the adaptation. So get ready for everything in the movie looking different to the show, for legal reasons. The producers talk about making it a more "mature" series in the article. My guess is that they're going to reboot it in the vein of a hollywood Marvel movie, ditch all the cheesiness and make an "adult" story out of it. But seriously, a gritty reboot of a show where the target demographic was basically 10 years old sound like a potentially terrible plan. Lots of people who might like it would be put off by its heritage as Power Rangers, while Power Rangers fans might be put off by how different it is. And I don't see it as having enough lasting value to rise above those issues. It's a fucking Power Rangers movie after all.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:39:36 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101810 on: May 05, 2016, 02:38:30 pm »

The old Power Rangers movies were pretty dope. I don't think they were made from 'borrowed' footage.
And the newer episodes I've seen featured actors who I am quite sure were not Japanese... and it wasn't dubbed.
Who would dub a show with Kiwi accents, anyway? Nah, I think this was real. And it was pretty damn good considering it was modern. ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101811 on: May 05, 2016, 02:44:07 pm »

The first two movies were co-productions of Saban and Toei. Both use costumes and designs provided by the Japanese studio. So they're spin-offs but both were overseen by the Super Sentai creators.

All the series use the footage from Super Sentai, when they have their masks on. They're dubbed and new scenes are inserted for when they're not wearing masks. I don't know what you mean about "new episodes" doing this, because this has been the formula for the show since day 1. Combat scenes, transforming scenes, robot combining scenes: all those are the Japanese show. The scenes with kids sitting around in cafeterias been "teen" are American.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:49:37 pm by Reelya »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101812 on: May 05, 2016, 02:46:51 pm »

The thing that I dont like about the remake thing, though, is that it basically has no public to appeal to. Does anyone these days watch power rangers if not for the cartoonish goofyness of everything? I mean, there's a reason the series has been in decline, and its because they've been trying to actualy be somewhat serious.

I think they shoud've just crossed the threshould of sillyness and made a series made of basically making fun of the tropes in this kind of series, altough japan has kind of done that already, I think.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101813 on: May 05, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »

@Reelya (too tired to use quote button): what does that have to do with anything? It's still an original film, even if it is inspired heavily by the other show.

The thing that I dont like about the remake thing, though, is that it basically has no public to appeal to. Does anyone these days watch power rangers if not for the cartoonish goofyness of everything? I mean, there's a reason the series has been in decline, and its because they've been trying to actualy be somewhat serious.
This has been going on for a while? Yikes. The reasonably-recent episode I saw, whilst nowhere near as good as the older stuff I've enjoyed in the past, certainly was anything but serious.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101814 on: May 05, 2016, 02:52:06 pm »

Like I said: this is much cheaper to make than an equivalent American show, and the special-effects just keep getting better in the source material. Hence it will keep getting churned out and aired. It doesn't matter if something better could get more viewers: this costs about 10% to make compared to coming up with your own thing. Hence, another reason the studio doesn't really care about the quality of the writing: they're pitching this to the networks as an insanely cheap kid's show. Anything that pushes up the budget eats into their main selling point to the networks - cheap time filler.

Also, because they take all their costumes, props and most of the action footage from a Japanese show that usually reboots the story every year, if they put a whole lot of effort into good story telling, what does that gain them? That storyline is going to go to shit anyway, once the new Super Sentai comes out, and all the adapted details have to be abandoned or retconned away. It's better for them (from a production point of view) to keep the story as simple as possible and not embellish it at all.

BTW, are you sure the old stuff you saw was actually any good? Or were you pretty young when that came out? I always hated it. I think it's always been equally terrible. Maybe it wouldn't actually stack up like you think.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:07:36 pm by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101815 on: May 05, 2016, 03:20:31 pm »

Power Rangers is a cartoon, despite being live action. If you like silly goofy kid's shows, you will probably like it. It ain't exactly gonna be DS9.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101816 on: May 05, 2016, 03:20:45 pm »

I remember watching an episode of Power Rangers when it first started airing. It was terrible. Worst show ever. Except maybe Barney. Barney was horrifying and OH GODS GET OUT OF MY HEAD STOP SINGING AAAUUUGHGHHG
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101817 on: May 05, 2016, 03:24:12 pm »

Why does anything that anybody individually dislikes keep getting made? They should just make stuff that people like.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101818 on: May 05, 2016, 04:00:49 pm »

Funfact.
Power rangers replaced SatAM in the TV lineup. Some sonic fans still didn't forgive :P
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101819 on: May 05, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »

I'm not a Sonic fan. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 6786 6787 [6788] 6789 6790 ... 11039