Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6662 6663 [6664] 6665 6666 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449616 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #99945 on: April 04, 2016, 12:09:02 am »

You find that disturbing? In America, children recite the Pledge of Allegiance in school each day, starting when they're too young to understand what it means. You may eventually stop saying it, if the teachers let you get away with it, but by then you've pledged allegiance one or two thousand times already. #USAUSAUSA
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #99946 on: April 04, 2016, 12:15:07 am »

You find that disturbing? In America, children recite the Pledge of Allegiance in school each day, starting when they're too young to understand what it means. You may eventually stop saying it, if the teachers let you get away with it, but by then you've pledged allegiance one or two thousand times already. #USAUSAUSA

I went to Catholic school, and had to recite the Lord's Prayer and a Hail Mary every morning for a few years.

The similarities between that and the Pledge of Allegiance recitation are unnerving.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99947 on: April 04, 2016, 12:16:30 am »

Youtube apparently thinks I'd like to see a video of south koreans trying to shotgun a can of beer.
Link?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #99948 on: April 04, 2016, 12:18:49 am »

They rely on you being patriotic and decent enough human being to not be a dishonourable traitor, you see... and if you actually betray your country, I belive firing squads (mentioned consequences) were the proper solution, dunno about what they use nowadays. Maybe highly trained marksmen hunting down people that help Russian Imperialists, because, y'know, Finland.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99949 on: April 04, 2016, 12:19:07 am »

Except there is no legal requirement for ANYONE to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, meaning that it's even more worthless than Finland's oath and completely unenforceable. At least #USAUSAUSA doesn't force everyone to serve the country regardless of how one might feel about serving; even back when drafts were a thing people could get out of it.

Basically, if you wanna complain about something America does, there are other options.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99950 on: April 04, 2016, 12:21:49 am »

Except there is no legal requirement for ANYONE to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, meaning that it's even more worthless than Finland's oath and completely unenforceable. At least #USAUSAUSA doesn't force everyone to serve the country regardless of how one might feel about serving; even back when drafts were a thing people could get out of it.

Basically, if you wanna complain about something America does, there are other options.

Don't all men between the ages of 18-25 have to sign up for selective service?

Had I, as an immigrant, been under 25 when I came over, I'd have had to sign up too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99951 on: April 04, 2016, 12:26:51 am »

Had I, as an immigrant, been under 25 when I came over, I'd have had to sign up too.
students are exempt i think and i assume non citizens are too. but aren't women going to be eligible? anyway instituting the draft would be political suicide for the president and their entire party and they know it so chances are unless WW3 breaks out it wont happen.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99952 on: April 04, 2016, 12:28:55 am »

LITERALLY EVERYTHING

students are exempt i think and i assume non citizens are too. but aren't women going to be eligible? anyway instituting the draft would be political suicide for the president and their entire party and they know it so chances are unless WW3 breaks out it wont happen.
Flinging untrained peasants at the enemy doesn't work, we've gone past that now
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99953 on: April 04, 2016, 12:29:25 am »

LITERALLY EVERYTHING

Flinging untrained peasants at the enemy doesn't work, we've gone past that now

That's what boot camp is for...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99954 on: April 04, 2016, 12:30:10 am »

You're required to sign up, yes. Service is at no point compulsory until and unless a draft happens - for now, every government job whether civil or military, is entirely voluntary.

I assume Orange Wizard is being factitious.
GODDAMN NINJAS STOP
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99955 on: April 04, 2016, 12:36:59 am »

I can't imagine they would institute a draft again unless it was something on the scale of WWII, because a well trained, equipped, motivated volunteer force should be far more effective than a ton of recruits who likely won't be as well trained due to lack of time and money, aren't necessarily as well motivated (they might be, we don't know), and might not have equipment which is as good because of the cost of equipping a much larger force (and the necessity to manufacture all the equipment). To fight WWII we effectively retooled our entire economy to support the war effort, after all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99956 on: April 04, 2016, 12:47:57 am »

LITERALLY EVERYTHING
Don't be silly, a tall can of beer costs $3.50 there. Under four dollars! At a bar! Even after taking exchange rates into account, that's about half of what it costs here. Other kinds of booze are cheap as well, and I have no idea how insanely cheap it would be from a liquor store.

Sodas/soft drinks are really cheap too, if you need a mixer (or are gross and drink that stuff on its own).
America is pretty great. Also, guns and stuff, those are cool. And baseball! Baseball is so much better than fucking cricket. Ugh.
As soon as someone I know says they follow/enjoy cricket they become a non-person to me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #99957 on: April 04, 2016, 12:50:20 am »

They rely on you being patriotic...
I don't really understand patriotism. Just because I was born in a country, I should serve it without question? I appreciate the Finnish culture, but protecting it by persecuting critics and dissidents as traitors strikes me as wrong.
...and decent enough human being to not be a dishonourable traitor
What if the decent thing to do is to be a dishonourable traitor? I could pull a Godwin and mention a certain bunch of German officers who swore loyalty to Hitler (not to Germany) and chose honour before not-being-complicit-in-genocide.

Treason is, in my mind, a justifiable crime.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #99958 on: April 04, 2016, 12:52:47 am »

Youtube apparently thinks I'd like to see a video of south koreans trying to shotgun a can of beer.
Link?
I hadn't actually watched it until you asked for a link. It's actually pretty funny.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99959 on: April 04, 2016, 12:55:45 am »

LITERALLY EVERYTHING
Don't be silly, a tall can of beer costs $3.50 there. Under four dollars! At a bar! Even after taking exchange rates into account, that's about half of what it costs here. Other kinds of booze are cheap as well, and I have no idea how insanely cheap it would be from a liquor store.

Sodas/soft drinks are really cheap too, if you need a mixer (or are gross and drink that stuff on its own).
America is pretty great. Also, guns and stuff, those are cool. And baseball! Baseball is so much better than fucking cricket. Ugh.
As soon as someone I know says they follow/enjoy cricket they become a non-person to me.

Isn't that sacrilege, an Aussie not liking cricket?

Pages: 1 ... 6662 6663 [6664] 6665 6666 ... 11040